• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

X11 for OSX Questions

Cara    0

Ok, here is what I need to know... I've got an X11 Application I want to run on my Mac yet I'm 100% clueless how to get it to operate...suggestions?

The application I want to run is called 'ShowEQ' and it runs on X11 but I don't know what do do with it after downloading, suggestions?

The URL is : seq.sourceforge.net/

Thanks guys,

Cara

Cara    0
first dl this:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/

then when its installed load up x11 by clickin on the icon in the apps folder.

then use xterm to locate and execute ure program

Already tried that, it requires you run it though 'make' which I've also done with nothing but errors, so I'm wondering if someone can point me to my error. :)

frod    0

make is the compile command. unless your source package is specifically designed for darwin you're going to get tons of errors. you could try fink.sourceforge.net and see if they have ported that package yet, and if so you can install fink and follow the directions to install the package.

Cara    0
make is the compile command. unless your source package is specifically designed for darwin you're going to get tons of errors. you could try fink.sourceforge.net and see if they have ported that package yet, and if so you can install fink and follow the directions to install the package.

Blast, that is the one thing I didn't want to hear. heh... This isn't a common use program so I know it hasn't been ported. :p

Thanks...

Cara

sparkleytone    0

i wouldnt go so far as what frod said...yet. if it works in linuxppc it most likely works in X11 on OS X. all you have to do is make sure you have the dev tools installed. this is where you get all the cool tools like make and gcc.

you need to download the source, go into that directory and './configure' then 'make' then 'make install'

frod    0

if you're still getting errors, i think there are some tutorials on the web about how to edit source packages to compile properly on darwin