Feedback Appreciated

Question

smctainsh

Hi All,

I've been briefly working on a project so far, and I'd like to get some feedback on it.

It is a file uploading web application that will be free and downloadable, so that it can be run on your own server. It will basically allow you to upload anything you want to your server, and present it in a pleasant graphical user interface, so that you can download it, preview it, get information on it, and share it with others. It will include the ability to 'invite others' to view your gallery, giving them a user name and password to log in with.

Example scenarios:

1) If you are away from home and want to show others some photos of a vacation or holiday, you could log in, and allow them to see them, as well as download them to their own computer for later viewing.

2) If you've got some work you want to do but don't have your computer with you, you'll be able to download the files, work on them, then re-upload them to work on later.

3) Instead of sending attachments with emails, you could send direct links to the images in your email message, for viewing by the recipient.

I've attached a screenshot, and would love to hear what you guys think of this concept. :) Both positive and negative criticism is welcome. :D

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

Latest Update: Go to this post in this thread to find out the latest progress on this project. I'd love to know what you guys think of the changes made. :) To try it, go here and log in using the user name and password 'demo'.

post-78416-1192587701_thumb.png

Edited by smctainsh

smctainsh
It's starting to look amazing!

Thanks for the kind words. :D

Smctainsh

Berserk87

very nice.

keep it simple. and add some options for customizability.

smctainsh
very nice.

keep it simple. and add some options for customizability.

Thanks for the feedback. I want to keep simplicity in mind, as I want all kinds of people to be able to use this, regardless of experience with a computer. :)

Smctainsh

whocares78
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I think that the ability to circumvent the upload limit would be a pretty good idea, especially if people have massive sets of photos to upload. :) I'll work on what you've suggested.

Awesome, great idea! :) I'll look into it.

Thanks for the feedback. I know exactly where you are coming from; security is going to be a very important factor to take into consideration in this. Passwords, et cetera will be encrypted, and I will run scenarios to test the security of the web application (I'll most likely ask on here for you guys to test it! :)).

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely look into it. :)

Smctainsh

i did a couple of quick SQL injection tests, which i tend to do out of habit whenever i see a login box on a web page seems ok :)

smctainsh
i did a couple of quick SQL injection tests, which i tend to do out of habit whenever i see a login box on a web page seems ok :)

Cheers, thanks for that. I really appreciate it. :D

If anyone encounters any problems when using the service, I'd love to know what they are. :)

Smctainsh

smctainsh

Has anyone else got any feedback as to what I can add to it?

Smctainsh

smctainsh

Anyone?

Smctainsh

smctainsh

Does anyone have anymore feedback? It would be greatly appreciated. :D

Smctainsh

Wilhelmus

1)

There is rather large security hole in your download.php file.

You can download any file, for example: "download.php?filepath=../index.php".

2)

Overwrites uploaded files, even if uploaded in different folders,

Example: I upload test.txt to "Documents", then modify test.txt and upload it to "Downloads".

Downloading test.txt from Documents gives modified test.txt.

Otherwise, it looks great! :)

smctainsh
1)

There is rather large security hole in your download.php file.

You can download any file, for example: "download.php?filepath=../index.php".

2)

Overwrites uploaded files, even if uploaded in different folders,

Example: I upload test.txt to "Documents", then modify test.txt and upload it to "Downloads".

Downloading test.txt from Documents gives modified test.txt.

Otherwise, it looks great! :)

Thank you so much for pointing those out! It is very much appreciated, and I've now fixed them. :D

I've updated Transit again, with some new features, including:

1) 'Breadcrumb bar'

2) Built-in gallery

3) Some updated icons

Also, I've fixed several bugs. :)

I'd love to know what you think of this release. :) Link

Smctainsh

exUBERance

the layout is still screwed in IE 6

smctainsh
the layout is still screwed in IE 6

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

Smctainsh

smctainsh

I decided to completely revamp Transit; it now uses AJAX to provide a smoother experience. Also, I was experiencing problems with Safari before, which should now be resolved. :)

The layout is not working correctly in IE6 yet, and there are some elements which need to be fixed for other browsers. You can double-click on text documents, images, and audio to preview them. Also, some features haven't been implemented yet.

I'd love to know what you think of this release. It can be found at the same link as before (or you can click here).

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

Stokkolm

It's looking pretty sexy! Definitely a huge improvement over what you had when you first made this thread.

smctainsh
It's looking pretty sexy! Definitely a huge improvement over what you had when you first made this thread.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. :) Anything you think I could add to it (all of the features mentioned in the menu on the left will be added).

Thanks,

Smctainsh

Brin

Sassy and intriguing! lol It feels like I was talking to you about it today!

Brin

smctainsh
Sassy and intriguing! lol It feels like I was talking to you about it today!

Brin

HEHE, thanks for the feedback. :)

Smctainsh

Sam Symons

Great looking website, I can't wait 'til it's done :) Nice work Smctainsh (and respect @ coming from New Zealand).

abulfares

looks very promising.

One point though is that image preview is way too small for some images (like the military exercise one). If you can make it to fir the photo's dimension or at least keep the aspect ratio of the photo, that would be awesome.

my 2 pennies (im Canadian lol)

smctainsh
Great looking website, I can't wait 'til it's done :) Nice work Smctainsh (and respect @ coming from New Zealand).

Thanks for the kind words. :) I didn't notice you were from New Zealand. :D

looks very promising.

One point though is that image preview is way too small for some images (like the military exercise one). If you can make it to fir the photo's dimension or at least keep the aspect ratio of the photo, that would be awesome.

my 2 pennies (im Canadian lol)

Thanks for the feedback. :D I've had quite a few comments about the image preview and I completely agree - I'm planning on having the preview window fit the browser window when the image is larger than the browser window and have the preview window fit the size of the image when it is smaller than the browser window. :D

Smctainsh

abulfares
Thanks for the feedback. :D I've had quite a few comments about the image preview and I completely agree - I'm planning on having the preview window fit the browser window when the image is larger than the browser window and have the preview window fit the size of the image when it is smaller than the browser window. :D

Smctainsh

perfect and looking forward to it

smctainsh

I've updated Transit, which now lists the contents of the server, which means files can now be uploaded using an FTP client instead of using the Transit upload feature. The following features have been implemented:

1) The ability to download files has now been re-implemented.

2) New Folder now works

3) The breadcrumb bar has been updated to work with directory listing

4) The log in function has been re-implemented

5) A tour is now provided at first run to help users get to know Transit

6) The image preview window is now larger than before

I'd love to know what you guys think of these changes. You can login to this Transit demo using the user name and password 'demo'. It can be located at the same address as before (or you can click here).

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

smctainsh

Has anyone got feedback on this update?

Smctainsh

former1

It all looks really good =]!! My only problem atm is the ability to show in gallery? But other than that awesome =]

smctainsh
It all looks really good =]!! My only problem atm is the ability to show in gallery? But other than that awesome =]

Cool, thanks for your feedback. :) 'Show in gallery' still needs to be re-implemented; it should be done by the next release, along with all the other features that need to be re-implemented. :D

Thanks,

Smctainsh