Changing network, help with modem

Hi, I currently have a DSLink 200 (aka SAR110 and RTA100), which is a gateway (modem/router). It always gave me some headaches and some frequent crashes.

I purchased a wireless router by Buffalo, the WHR-HP-G54, recently (which will arrive tomorrow), and I pretend to continue using the DSLink as the modem, as I already found a tutorial to make the changes necessary to make it work only as a modem.

What I would like to know from more experienced people is if my DSLink is supposed to have less crashes when being used only as a modem, as that's what I assumed considering the gateway will have less work to do. Or should I just buy another modem to go with the new wireless router? I would rather stay with the DSLink at least for now due to the lack of money in the moment.

Of course I have, I have the latest firmware from the RTA100, which is the latest FW released for the GlobespanVirata chipset used on these devices. And my life goes well with this gateway, it's not unbearable, it's just that it randomly crashes, needing to physically reboot it. I've learned a lot about this gateway, and after all customizations and p2p optimizations, it's just not a very good router, with little tolerance for today's internet uses.

I would just like to know if these crashes are probably due to the routing, which means they should be largely reduced by reducing the use of the gateway to a simple modem. Or if I'm just saying crap, and it will be as bad as always even using a nice new wireless router with it.