• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox HD-DVD vs. standalone player

Jason S.    1,543

i have the xbox player connected to my computer. i run a standard vga cable from my computer to my HDTV. looks great and it's a cheap way to adopt HDM.

obviously, w/ a standalone player, i would connect it to my tv using HDMI.

would there be any noticable picture quality increase by doing the latter over the former?

bangbang023    31

It's really going to depend on your TV. If it's a newer set that supports things like HDMI 1.3 (specifically, 30bit color) and whatnot, then there may be a noticeable difference.

Jason S.    1,543

yeah, mine does not support 1.3 - LN-S4095D

bangbang023    31

That's actually a set with a pretty good VGA connection, also. A standalone player may be slightly better, but I'm not sure if it'll either be noticeable or worth it.

Jason S.    1,543

alright. just curious. any reason to justify a standalone unit right? :whistle:

QuantumTrickery    2

It was night and day difference for me, comparing the two. Overall I had been pretty unhappy with the 360 units performance, and picked up a standalone Toshiba player. If you are looking to cut the cost a bit lower, A LOT of retail stores have returns/open items on hd dvd and bluray players, and net a pretty good discount. Seen several tagged in the $200 - $240 range on the shelves.

bangbang023    31
It was night and day difference for me, comparing the two. Overall I had been pretty unhappy with the 360 units performance, and picked up a standalone Toshiba player. If you are looking to cut the cost a bit lower, A LOT of retail stores have returns/open items on hd dvd and bluray players, and net a pretty good discount. Seen several tagged in the $200 - $240 range on the shelves.

It's going to depend on the set, most likely. The only concern I would have is the VGA gamma issues on the 360 and the need to use "extended" mode when using VGA to get more accurate colors.

Jason S.    1,543

interesting quantum. i dont go to those "big retail stores" often, but if i do i'll certainly keep an eye out for some open box deal.