The state of Neowin

I say delete all non technology related topics!

I say hide post counts. Neowin is too post count centric which only encourages useless posts. Close the milestones forum.

Implement a per-user reputation system.

I say hide post counts. Neowin is too post count centric which only encourages useless posts. Close the milestones forum.

Agreed.

I remember back in the days when Neowin was almost tech talk exclusive, the only place you could talk about other subjects was the general discussion forum which was filled with almost any topic you can imagine so there was a real need for other forum topics to be added

since the jokes, rwi, etc sections where added, Neowin definitively became a better place

<snip>

I agree with you that losing the non-tech forums would be a shame, and I don't think they're going anywhere. But Neowin did need this new initiative to help encourage people looking more for tech discussion and answers to tech issues to register and/or become a regular visitor.

I love the off-topic forums anyway, me, and I would be deeply saddened if they went. But they most likely aren't going anywhere soon ;)

Like the 5-star rating system we have already?

Like the 5-star rating system we have already?

No, not like the star system.

It should be more personal and the rating should show by your username without having to look in someone's profile. I should be able to increase or decrease your rep based on your "behavior".

No, not like the star system.

It should be more personal and the rating should show by your username without having to look in someone's profile. I should be able to increase or decrease your rep based on your "behavior".

Ratings are already abused... member and thread ones. I wouldn't even bother implementing another system because it won't be used correctly.

huh? off topic areas are still there they are just not shown in the Latest Forum Activity monitor to make this place look more favorable to guests seeking tech help.

Its up to you if you frequent the areas not displayed at the top of the forum.

I remember back in the days when Neowin was almost tech talk exclusive, the only place you could talk about other subjects was the general discussion forum which was filled with almost any topic you can imagine so there was a real need for other forum topics to be added

since the jokes, rwi, etc sections where added, Neowin definitively became a better place

I disagree... Neowin used to be a place where we had many experts and a ton of tech content... questions were answered in minutes and they were always right... once we started adding the off topic forums... kids came in... a lot knowing nothing but the basics with tech... and posted junk. Since then the real good tech people (and we still have a few) left. They were drawn away from the site due to the immature postings and increasing trolls.

Back in the day we had no real fanboy problems and the like... people were able to discuss tech with out the immaturity. The addition of the off topic forums have been one of the on going problems of this site. When issues such as flames and trolling occured... it was a major event as it never really happened.

It's time we start cleaning/filtering some of the junk out... and focus more on what they site used to be truly about. Tech.

Ratings are already abused... member and thread ones. I wouldn't even bother implementing another system because it won't be used correctly.

Fully agree.

Ive seen perfectly good threads started, yes because the Poster is not liked for some juvanile reason the threads get a one star..

I ignore the thread ratings.. and members ratings too..

I disagree... Neowin used to be a place where we had many experts and a ton of tech content... questions were answered in minutes and they were always right... once we started adding the off topic forums... kids came in... a lot knowing nothing but the basics with tech... and posted junk. Since then the real good tech people (and we still have a few) left. They were drawn away from the site due to the immature postings and increasing trolls.

Back in the day we had no real fanboy problems and the like... people were able to discuss tech with out the immaturity. The addition of the off topic forums have been one of the on going problems of this site. When issues such as flames and trolling occured... it was a major event as it never really happened.

It's time we start cleaning/filtering some of the junk out... and focus more on what they site used to be truly about. Tech.

How many active members did Neowin have "back in the day"?

The point is, when Neowin started, it was a place for people to learn and help each other and, as of late, it seems the entire community has shifted away from that ideology to a more "let's bull**** about everything and crap on threads because we have nothing else to contribute" state. This initiative isn't in place to stifle postings, but, rather, to encourage thought out, mature posts that contribute to the community and bring back the feel this place used to have to it.

Not counting the gaming forums, which tend to be a hot bed, a majority of warnings stem from the non-tech forums Neowin has in place. On top of that, the ability to receive help in the tech forums has fallen drastically. We want to entice knowledgeable visitors to join the community and, to do that, we need to clean up the areas that would otherwise turn away those very same people.

Posts such as "I'd hit it", or "nothing phrases", are worthless. They contribute nothing, quickly steer a topic off course and lower the overall post quality on Neowin. If anyone is going to complain about our desire to filter out that nonsense, I have to question their motives and overall desire to see Neowin, as a tech community, flourish.

Thankyou for making my point nicely (Y)

If that's the position, then I agree with Snyper. Either delete the off-topic forums entirely, or restrict Off-Topic discussion to a single forum and hide it from all but registered users. That way you can closely monitor the content, and regularly warn users for posting what you consider to be "crap". The number and variety of the Off Topic forums is sending a mixed message if that really is the new position.

Edited by *John*

But the sad part is that you can do nothing about this....warn them, they may control themselves a while, ban them, they come back under a new proxy and a different username. Its a lot like piracy...you just can't do nothing.

In addition, since I enjoy relaxed and playful Off Topic Discussion with the e-friends i've made at Neowin, should I now assume that i'm no longer welcome here, and it's best that I leave?

Oh, the internet drama.

In my opinion, if "playful Off Topic Discussion with the e-friends" means having nothing interesting, helpful, or even remotely funny to say, then yes. You could always try Somethingawful.

How many active members did Neowin have "back in the day"?

About the same as we have now... the one difference being that most of them focused on helping and didn't care about trolling, RWI issues, posting their bedroom, why their girl friend doesn't want to have sex anymore, etc... They were here to discuss tech nothing else.

Around 2002-03 are popularity started rising sharply... but so did the immaturity and off topic postings... active members contiuned to shoot up... but shortly after many people that used to stick around left... being replaced by immature fanboys and trolls. The users started to drop off eventually.... and now we have pretty much the same amount of users we did in 01... expect that instead of tech people... we have off topic non tech related stuff they want to discuss instead.

About the same as we have now... the one difference being that most of them focused on helping and didn't care about trolling, RWI issues, posting their bedroom, why their girl friend doesn't want to have sex anymore, etc... They were here to discuss tech nothing else.

Yes! I love it! I'm glad someone is finally taking notice.

Here's a classic: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=336959

More contributions to humanity: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...2Bare+you+bored

Edited by raskren

Around 2002-03 are popularity started rising sharply... but so did the immaturity and off topic postings... active members contiuned to shoot up... but shortly after many people that used to stick around left... being replaced by immature fanboys and trolls. The users started to drop off eventually.... and now we have pretty much the same amount of users we did in 01... expect that instead of tech people... we have off topic non tech related stuff they want to discuss instead.

Ok, i appreciate the problem and it seems tough decision time really :/

It wont take banning me to require me to stop posting, but if the "off topic forums" were not there anymore, i would post less im certain.

I would still visit Neowin, however, as i dont get involvd in the "Bread and butter" Neowin topics such as tec and tec news, i would therefore have no part in the community, but certainly if i had a tec problem, neowin would be the first place i would come to.

What attracts me here is the members im familiar with, the comments and topics, and yes, the way the staff moderate!! :o Yes i saud it!

Im a member of a bigger site than this, it an all irish board, biggest in Ireland, the Moderating is awful and to be honest members can be nasty and i really dont find it very welcoming. I feel Neowin do a good job cracking down on trolls.

Oh, the internet drama.

In my opinion, if "playful Off Topic Discussion with the e-friends" means having nothing interesting, helpful, or even remotely funny to say, then yes. You could always try Somethingawful.

I was going to clarify my point, but instead I deleted it. Now that you've quoted me, I should probably explain.

I'm here for two reasons. Tech Discussion and Off Topic Discussion. I was here a lot, and engaged in both. Now i'm restricted to Tech Discussion only, and i'm not around much.

I do miss posting in the hardware hangout, i should conintue to do so, i also miss stncttr908, he rocked.

i agree to taking off the post count. seems that some people really focus on that more than what they are actually posting. Maybe if they want something like that, have a voting system. Where the people from here can vote on how well you contribute/or are liked, to the forums.

other than that, everything has been great. This is a great place for me to get my fill on tech news and answers, as well as sort of fill my head with world news and other useless facts. :D

If this site is heading down hill, its not the mods fault, but the people who are posting the stuff others arent wanting to read. All the little fights people get into over which is better start to really down everyone. I know i lose intrest in a post once the topic goes off on a bunch of little rants. Eh, who knows, i could be one of those who are the bad, i sure hope not though. end the end, its up to us all to keep this site great.

I was going to clarify my point, but instead I deleted it. Now that you've quoted me, I should probably explain.

I'm here for two reasons. Tech Discussion and Off Topic Discussion. I was here a lot, and engaged in both. Now i'm restricted to Tech Discussion only, and i'm not around much.

You're not restricted, these forums are still there, you're still able to start off topic discussions, and as a subscriber you can use the NSFW forum. I can't see how you've been restricted much.

You're not restricted, these forums are still there, you're still able to start off topic discussions, and as a subscriber you can use the NSFW forum. I can't see how you've been restricted much.

Because it's more hassle than it's worth. I don't feel that I can pop over to GD or MM and just relax and chat with people. You could literally get warned for anything, especially since BangBang's decided to hand out warnings for what he considers to be "crap". There is no obvious measure of acceptability. "Ubuntu FTW!" in the wrong thread, in the wrong context gets you a warning. "I'd hit it!" now get's you a warning.

Off Topic Forum at Neowin is a very very restrictive and unwelcoming place. It really is best avoided. It's far more trouble than it's worth.

Nope, these days i'm here to engage in Tech Discussion, and nothing more.

Neowin used to be a place where we had many experts and a ton of tech content... questions were answered in minutes and they were always right... once we started adding the off topic forums... kids came in... a lot knowing nothing but the basics with tech... and posted junk. Since then the real good tech people (and we still have a few) left. They were drawn away from the site due to the immature postings and increasing trolls.

Agreed, but I think it would be hard to impliment without having to remove a lot of the sections. I for one do not post as much as I used to. Second being the problem with console section being too self orientated.

"Ubuntu FTW" in a discussion of another distribution is nothing but trolling and flamebaiting, but we've had this discussion before. If you can't see how that contributes absolutely nothing, at all, to the discussion, then it's hopeless.