I now present to you, an Autopatcher Replacement

Because its just a clever script. It does what is already possible in Windows. AP had more functionality.

Its a clever idea, but no way a real program and certainly not one worthy of keep being bumpped for NO GOOD REASON...

Yes it uses windows update, but it doesn't have to download any updates because they are already included.

Have you even tried this yet?

Yes it uses windows update, but it doesn't have to download any updates because they are already included.

So it's a front end (if you can call it that) to Windows update... when one already exists in Windows?

What's the benefit of this script over using a vanilla Windows Update?

What's the benefit of this script over using a vanilla Windows Update?

The benefit is that all of the Microsft Windows updates are already 'local' (on a disk or memory stick) in a self extracting zip file called xpupdates.exe. When you run the script it stops the automatic update service. It deletes the content of the softwaredistrubution folder. It then extracts the updates from the xpupdates.exe (on your disk) and then restarts the update service. When it checks for the updates, it finds that they are already in place. Instead of waiting (perhaps hours) for the download, it goes straight into processing the update and prompts you to complete the installation. For those poor individuals on dialup, all 88 updates are available to start processing in about 5 mins. Actual installation time is dependent on your processor but processing and installation of ALL the available updates will usually take a TOTAL time only about 8-10 minutes.

I understand that for the individual maintaining their own personal computer, this is not a valuable process for regular updates BUT to anyone in computer service or frequently doing a clean install, it is invaluable. Download the updates once and move on.

Edited by warwagon

I have used this and it really works i am in no way affiliated with this program i just think its a great idea, with my setups ideally i like to integrate hotfixes etc into the setup i feel its cleaner and usually runs faster, however if that wasnt possible i would be using this as its the next fastest thing.

The benefit is that all of the Microsft Windows updates are already 'local' (on a disk or memory stick) in a self extracting zip file called xpupdates.exe. When you run the script it stops the automatic update service. It deletes the content of the softwaredistrubution folder. It then extracts the updates from the xpupdates.exe (on your disk) and then restarts the update service. When it checks for the updates, it finds that they are already in place. Instead of waiting (perhaps hours) for the download, it goes straight into processing the update and prompts you to complete the installation. For those poor individuals on dialup, all 88 updates are available to start processing in about 5 mins. Actual installation time is dependent on your processor but processing and installation of ALL the available updates will usually take a TOTAL time only about 8-10 minutes.

I understand that for the individual maintaining their own personal computer, this is not a valuable process for regular updates BUT to anyone in computer service or frequently doing a clean install, it is invaluable. Download the updates once and move on.

Urm, but it does not put them in an exe does it? You yourself admitted earlier in the thread that you need to make you OWN .exe using Winzip...

Unless the process is automated and easy use also containing one setup file with all the updates in, it will not be a REAL program.

If you can make it so it download the update and then integrates them in to the program itself, you might have something, otherwise its nothing more than another Windows Update.

I didn't claim it was an application. I said it was a method for updating a clean install of windows, usually on multiple machines. Now the method isn't for the average Joe. But if you are a neowin member or you install windows on peoples machines regularly you should be able to figure it out.

Edited by warwagon

Urm yes... look back, remember? I wrote the script for you.... :rofl:

I didn't claim it was an application. I said it was a method for updating a clean install of windows, usually on multiple machines. Now the method isn't for the average Joe. But if you are a neowin member or you install windows on peoples machines regularly you should be able to figure it out.

Well it works i cant deny that, but it still isnt anything like as good as AP.

What does people being a member of Neowin have to do with it? There are some members who are completely computer illiterate...

... or I could just enable Automatic Updates and configure the options to taste in Group Policy editor to suppress the automatic reboots and nags. I liked Autopatcher for Windows 2000 but never really find much need for it on XP. I didn't try this script but seems rather convoluted from the description. Why make an easy process so difficult?

Urm yes... look back, remember? I wrote the script for you.... :rofl:

Well it works i cant deny that, but it still isnt anything like as good as AP.

There are some members who are completely computer illiterate...

and for the illiterate people they can do it the old fation way with the windows update website. Basicly i'm just giving the geeks / nerds another option

... or I could just enable Automatic Updates and configure the options to taste in Group Policy editor to suppress the automatic reboots and nags. I liked Autopatcher for Windows 2000 but never really find much need for it on XP. I didn't try this script but seems rather convoluted from the description. Why make an easy process so difficult?

By easy, do you mean let windows download the updates? If you are installing a fresh install of xp on your computer, then yes its probobly easier to just let winodws update do its thing. BUT if you are doing this as a business on multiple machines a week, then this saves alot of time!

Yeah, I tell it to ask me first, I give a quick once over and approve the critical patches and don't care the rest. Let it download and install in the background, disabled the auto reboot and nags in group policy so I can reboot when its convenient for me and not for Windows.

Yeah, I tell it to ask me first, I give a quick once over and approve the critical patches and don't care the rest. Let it download and install in the background, disabled the auto reboot and nags in group policy so I can reboot when its convenient for me and not for Windows.

If your doing it on your personal machine that probobly works pretty good, But if you are doing it on a customers machine, then this really speeds things along, unless you like to suck the clock, then not so much.

Exactly.

and for the illiterate people they can do it the old fation way with the windows update website. Basicly i'm just giving the geeks / nerds another option

But its a far more complex option. You have also gone from saying this is the best thing since sliced bread, to saying this is "just another option"...

By easy, do you mean let windows download the updates? If you are installing a fresh install of xp on your computer, then yes its probobly easier to just let winodws update do its thing. BUT if you are doing this as a business on multiple machines a week, then this saves alot of time!

No one in their right mind would use this in a business environment...

No one in their right mind would use this in a business environment...

When I say busness I'm just talking about computer repair people who go to peoples homes. Which is what I do, and I use it quite a few times a week. Or when ever i reinstall windows.

Edited by warwagon

When I say busness I'm just talking about computer repair people who go to peoples homes. Which is what I do, and I use it quite a few times a week. Or when ever i reinstall windows.

Well i for one would not trust this or use it over standard Windows update, weather i was only working in a small time repair shop or not. There just seems to be no benifit over windows update.

Its also a lot of hastle to use and configure for use per machine, where as windows update is there and ready to use. AP was also ready to use straight after download.

There just seems to be no benifit over windows update.

I just want to remind people With this method Windows updates it does not have to download the updates it skips that part and goes straight to the install

I just want to remind people With this method Windows updates it does not have to download the updates it skips that part and goes straight to the install

This is turning in to a pointless argument. Lets face facts that its not going to ever take off because its not a program and there is to much you need to do manually.

Thread argument complete.

Also, i blocked you on MSN. I dont take well to being harrased whilst at work, especially when someone is suppose to be so old seems so very childish.

Could you please post the exact message I sent to you on MSN. I was just gonna have a conversation about this on IM instead of on this thread. I don't think I harassed you or that at lease was not my intent. If by childish you mean defending your position, well then your just as much of a child as I am. I will admit my large bolded font may have been a bit over the top. But I just felt that people still didn't understand that the updates were included.

Edited by warwagon

Could you please post the exact message I sent to you on MSN. I was just gonna have a conversation about this on IM instead of on this thread. I don't think I harassed you or that at lease was not my intent. If by childish you mean defending your position, well then your just as much of a child as I am. I will admit my large bolded font may have been a bit over the top. But I just felt that people still didn't understand that the updates were included.

As is said above... conversation over, so just drop it.

As is said above... conversation over, so just drop it.

Fair enough. But if someone responds in this thread, I will respond back. So feel free to ignore this thread.

This is exactly what I needed. I usually go to my friend's houses to help them set up their computers and some of them have such slow internet connections. You can imagine how long it takes to update Windows XP.

One thing though, I can't seem to download the file. :unsure:

This is exactly what I needed. I usually go to my friend's houses to help them set up their computers and some of them have such slow internet connections. You can imagine how long it takes to update Windows XP.

One thing though, I can't seem to download the file. :unsure:

I updated the script on the first post to a more recent one I've been using. If you are unable to download the file just copy the script code on the front page and then paste it into notepad and then save it with the file name of your choice. Just make sure it ends in.bat

I will admit its not without errors. For instance if you don't add the colon after the drive leter it will keep going anyway. Just remember to add it. Example e: . Suites my needs anyway.

Just remember that when you create your self extracting exe file with all the updates, that it has to have the name xpupdates.exe. If it has a different name the script won't work unless you change the name of the file in the script itself. So if you just call it xpupdates.exe everything should work peachy.

If you take a look at your own software distribution folder and if you have never emptied it you may be able to use that to gather your updates. Just look inside the windows\softwaredistrubtion\downloads folder and see if it has 88 + folders. If it only has a few folders then it won't work.

Edited by warwagon