Why don't you use Ubuntu?

Chicane-UK

Originally, when it was Windows or Linux I could never get any distro of Linux to work with my soundcard properly. So I begrudgingly stuck to Windows.

Ubuntu got better very quickly so I was excited when I upgraded and along with the upgrade picked up a 2nd hand simple old Audigy which I knew would work. However on my new setup Ubuntu (7.04 - not tried 7.10) just freezes up as soon as it boots into the GUI. I've since reflashed the BIOS and 7.10 is out now but since then i've picked up a Mac and am using OSX now.. which is pretty much the only OS I need from a *NIX point of view. Not sure if i'll even go back to trying out Linux on my PC any more to be honest!

DerChef

Ubuntu is a disaster area with recognising modems straight out of the box for us poor sods that have to reply on dial up :crazy: open Suse I found much better in this respect.

I have to :D at all the comments about people hating Ubuntu for doing to much for you. On my Mac Book I spend nearly a day trying to knock the thing into shape Xorg.conf, Fstab and codecs ect ect

James7
Ubuntu is a disaster area with recognising modems straight out of the box for us poor sods that have to reply on dial up :crazy: open Suse I found much better in this respect.

I have to :D at all the comments about people hating Ubuntu for doing to much for you. On my Mac Book I spend nearly a day trying to knock the thing into shape Xorg.conf, Fstab and codecs ect ect

When I was using Ubuntu 7.04 all my hardware seemed to work fine, but I don't use my modem so I didn't realise that it hadn't been detected. When I upgraded to 7.10 I was surprised to see my modem listed in the Restricted Drivers thing, so I enabled it. I still don't know if it's actually working but it was detected and says it is enabled now.

I like Ubuntu fine but want to be more experimental. I know there are people here who think Ubuntu makes it too easy on users but for new users that is a good thing, otherwise they will never even try Linux.

Shiver202

i use ubuntu but not that much , there is still much for them to do ,

they need to fix the sound drivers , it works but not as good in xp

and they should fix so we could play all pc games

just some small things they need to do ,

otherwise its better than xp and startup speed is good , better then xp

DerChef
When I was using Ubuntu 7.04 all my hardware seemed to work fine, but I don't use my modem so I didn't realise that it hadn't been detected. When I upgraded to 7.10 I was surprised to see my modem listed in the Restricted Drivers thing, so I enabled it. I still don't know if it's actually working but it was detected and says it is enabled now.

I like Ubuntu fine but want to be more experimental. I know there are people here who think Ubuntu makes it too easy on users but for new users that is a good thing, otherwise they will never even try Linux.

Thats interesting to know with only dial up I wont be downloading 7.10 :laugh: any time soon, I presume you can upgrade an existing installation with a magazine disc ?

Naturally I don't have the modem issue on the new Mac book as OS X and Parallels does the hard work for it :rolleyes:

James7
Thats interesting to know with only dial up I wont be downloading 7.10 :laugh: any time soon, I presume you can upgrade an existing installation with a magazine disc ?

Naturally I don't have the modem issue on the new Mac book as OS X and Parallels does the hard work for it :rolleyes:

Now I don't know if you can upgrade Ubuntu by a magazine disc.

You might consider backing up your home directory and using a new 7.10 Live CD to install. That's what I did on my laptop. You can get Ubuntu to send you a free Live CD here : https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Or of course if you've got a magazine disc, but surely if it's on a magazine disc now it's not 7.10 final as those magazine discs are often a bit behind....... ?

morkuma
too much is done for me.

its slow when compared side by side to arch on my same computer.

i <3 pacman+abs.

was just about to type that, but someone beat me to it.

Gundamdriver

Ubuntu is for entry-level users in my eyes, almost everything got GUI-fied, users will rely heavily on GUI tools and will not be able (or very difficult) to live in command-line interface.

I agree someone above, Ubuntu isn't for all Linux users, so I just choose my favourite Linux distro.: Debian.

hotdog666al

I don't use Ubuntu because I need Foobar2000 & Miranda IM. :-(

night_stalker_z
which is still running things being "root".

I know but in Debian you only have 1 root account unless you allow someone else to use sudo or su but in Ubuntu everyone can use sudo or su.

x3lumin8x

I tried Ubuntu for the first time yesterday (I have never used Linux anything before) and I dont believe that Ubuntu is ready for the mainstream. The thing that I did not like is installation of apps, plug-ins etc. it's way to confusing. The way I understand it is that Gdebi is for installing apps. and the terminal is for installing plug-ins. And there was another way to install stuff, something Packages or whatever. Why use terminal to install stuff? Why can't I just click the installer? Oh yeah, the file system is not friendly eaither trying to find stuff. I did like the panels customization but for an average user Ubuntu is not friendly at all.

James7
I tried Ubuntu for the first time yesterday (I have never used Linux anything before) and I dont believe that Ubuntu is ready for the mainstream. The thing that I did not like is installation of apps, plug-ins etc. it's way to confusing. The way I understand it is that Gdebi is for installing apps. and the terminal is for installing plug-ins. And there was another way to install stuff, something Packages or whatever. Why use terminal to install stuff? Why can't I just click the installer? Oh yeah, the file system is not friendly eaither trying to find stuff. I did like the panels customization but for an average user Ubuntu is not friendly at all.

You can install new applications by clicking on Applications --> Add/Remove Applications

You can also go to System --> Administration --> Synaptics Package Manager

You can also, as you note, install from Terminal

I don't know what you mean by plug-ins, but if you are using Firefox you can install Extensions the normal way. If you want multimedia codecs and Flash and Java and that sort of thing, go to Synaptics Package Manager, do a search for 'ubuntu restricted extras' and install that.

Oh and sometimes you might want to download .deb packages, if the software isn't in the Add/Remove Applications or Synaptics (this is actually quite rare). Double-clicking them and then just clicking Install is all you have to do there, any dependencies will be sorted by the system.

Actually for the life of me I can't see how installing new software could be made any easier.

But if it is trouble for you, then I'd stick to Ubuntu or other distros that do their best to make it easy.

Miuku.

Bottom line:

Windows to Linux convertism isn't going to work - the more I see it, the more I believe in that.

Most Windows folks are simply too set in their ways and cannot learn anything new - they've been conditioned to do things only in one way and they try to enforce this view on every other OS. Inability to learn is a horrible thing - if you find that this hurts your fragile little ego - too bad, truth sometimes hurts.

See how most of the Office software tries to mimic Microsofts Office? Start button? Menu structure? The disease spreads.

rson451

i wish the people who posted from windows in this thread would have read the first post..

What I'd like to know is if you are a Linux user that chooses not to use Ubuntu, what are your reasons?

we all know there are reasons windows people arent using ubuntu.

kyro

I am not liking this trashing of ubuntu in this thread and its mantra of guifying things as reason to hate it. if ubuntu is going to create more users " who are normal people first doing normal things and cannot go geeky googling/ircing stuff " is good thing computer users are people first and if ubuntu is able to cater to them , good for them and good for everyone and I kinda anticipated this thing way before ubuntu was this famous (the years of ubuntu 4.0 etc) .

Infact I suggest ubuntu strongly for simple reason that ubuntuforums is full of same users asking same questions in the way normal people ask.

mmaybe i might start suggesting fedora8 IF it lives upto its promised mentioned at their pages (so far its good).

but still , bashing distro is wrong whtever distro it may be. Gentoo keeps ur CPU churning but bashing it for that reason is wrong, if you dont like it, dont use it but dont bash it for that. some ppl like to burn of cpu-cycles. IMHO.

Evolution

Maybe Linux Operating Systems should provide tours of functions to new users in the Desktop Environment.... sort of like what Windows used to do for XP. I'm sure it's so simple that almost anyone could create one..... even someone from Neowin ;)

dragon2611

I AM using kubuntu 7.10 at the moment Although I was playing with debain for some time.

While I'm not your average noob and I do learn reasonably quickly I'm by no means a linux expert, More stuff on ubuntu seems to work out of the box for me, and I like the debian based apt system...

Arch looks interesting but I just got ubuntu setup how I like it and not sure I want to go though the hassle of changing distro, Pity I didn't see it last week or earlier.

Might still go have a play with it on another computer or setup another partition on this one...

Is it possible to copy my Firefox profile, Pidgin/thunderbird config from one distro to another? as that might make playing with each distro easier.

James7
Maybe Linux Operating Systems should provide tours of functions to new users in the Desktop Environment.... sort of like what Windows used to do for XP. I'm sure it's so simple that almost anyone could create one..... even someone from Neowin ;)
^ Agree. :)

Ubuntu do this with screencasts . It is a great idea as it helps people realise that it's not really hard. I don't know they could fit it on the install CD though, as they try to get the system and important software packages onto that one CD (things like open office and firefox ).

Some distros probably wouldn't want to do this because they are for more hardcore Linux users, the people who like tinkering with everything and figuring out everything on their own.

DerChef
Bottom line:

Windows to Linux convertism isn't going to work - the more I see it, the more I believe in that.

Most Windows folks are simply too set in their ways and cannot learn anything new - they've been conditioned to do things only in one way and they try to enforce this view on every other OS. Inability to learn is a horrible thing - if you find that this hurts your fragile little ego - too bad, truth sometimes hurts.

See how most of the Office software tries to mimic Microsofts Office? Start button? Menu structure? The disease spreads.

Of course it isnt as I said in another post I did a an I.T. Msc with a speciality in C and Unix programming. I also used Sco unix on Sun Sparc 20's for years. To get Ubuntu up and running and see everything (not 100% yet) I had to refer to the net and start editing fstab and Xorg.

Somebody whose I.T. skills comes from a school or work PC well the above aint gonna happen.

Nevermind when a family member says can this play my Driving test lessons CD, connect my mobile phone to get MP3s on it, play the kids educational interactive software games.

Apple gets slated by the Open Source community for insisting its OS runs only on its hardware. Well if they brought out OS 10.5 for PC architecture tomorrow they would be financially slitting their own throats.

Mike Frett

It's too bare for me, but maybe thats the Gnome GUI. Like looking at a blank piece of paper. I find distros like Mandrake more appealing to me. Plus Ubuntu hardly ever configures my devices properly. In fact, I've yet to use any Linux distro that works properly out of the box for me. Just too much configuring to get things working, I just don't see it being a Windows replacement anytime soon.

Now a Mac, that's a different story. If I had the money I'd switch there in a heartbeat. A Mac is just so damn easy to use and everything works. In fact, I don't see why Apple doesn't make their prices more competitive and go on an advertising spree. I bet it would beat expectations.

Miuku.
Of course it isnt as I said in another post I did a an I.T. Msc with a speciality in C and Unix programming. I also used Sco unix on Sun Sparc 20's for years. To get Ubuntu up and running and see everything (not 100% yet) I had to refer to the net and start editing fstab and Xorg.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm having a hard time believing anyone who seriously uses computers as part of their work having *any* trouble to get a conventional Linux system up nowadays?-?much?less?Ubuntu?which?is?as?run?of?the?mill?as?it?gets.

webgk.com

3-4 months back, I had to switched to Red Hat Linux Enterprise from Windows on my office PC. Initially it was a pain in neck. As I started learning and educating myself on things like RPMs and wget... I learned a lot and never needed to boot my desktop. KDE was the great interface that made me comfortable with linux. In one way it is great to have linux but in other way there are very limited apps which I can/have to use, because they are window based and not available in Open Source. Otherwise I liked it over windows.

mezoko

I feel the project is still in a major beta state.

I'm the type of guy that likes to use arch, gentoo, slackware, the more advanced distros.

I've tried ubuntu, figured I'd install for my sister, cousin, so forth and I've always ran into these crazy problem that made no sense, for example when installing the build-essentials the nvidia driver stopped working, and random stuff like that (I won't get into it).

For some it works, for others it just totally take a ****, and this isn't a limitation of linux because this stuff works just fine in other distros.