Why don't you use Ubuntu?

i came to try ubuntu because i just wanted ot see what it was like.

i had trouble changing the directory with cd when i first tried it out and you're expecting people to compile their own kernal??

did you had to compile your kernel at first run? wtf?

Dont know why you guys just stay with XP, everything works without spending an hour trying to fix it.

Unlike XP and/or Vista, I don't need to hack the driver and add a whole bunch of hexadecimal crap just to make it recognize my 1680x1050 resolution.

With Ubuntu, I just have to run a program that will do it automatically for me.

i came to try ubuntu because i just wanted ot see what it was like.

i had trouble changing the directory with cd when i first tried it out and you're expecting people to compile their own kernal??

You really shouldn't be needing to compile your own kernel with Ubuntu anymore.

I do use Ubuntu, but that's because I am new to Linux (just started this year).

I will eventually try out other distributions (I have like 10 CDs of other distributions ready to go) but it will mostly be for experimentation and such. I am interested in Slackware, Debian, Arch, and Gentoo... but I want another PC before I start experimenting.

I've just set up Ubuntu on a second PC. I wont be able to switch from Windows, but I do think it offers a great way to try Linux (especially the Live CD).

I tried every Ubuntu release and it always had outrageous flaw and never worked as i expected. And I must be one of the few people that dislike apt-get. I hate the package naming rules (if there's any). Package are most of the time outdated. I hate brown. And i personally think that Cannonical is the incarnation of evil.

And I'll probably never use windows on my desktop because i can't acces the code, can't compile my programs easily, there's no good command line tool, and because I'm a power user and Linux let me exploit every aspect of my hardware.

So I use Fedora

I had Ubuntu 7.10 on an externall HDD and it ran great. Of all of the Linux packages I have seen, I liked this one the most. I still use XP because I have way too much software which does not have a linux counterpart (I suppose I could run WINE) and Ubuntu does not support my graphics card. However, I may put it back on my external hdd and then over the course of a few months see if I can get to the point where I can do everything I can with XP. If I can, I may make the switch. :yes:

Edited by frbubba

Unlike XP and/or Vista, I don't need to hack the driver and add a whole bunch of hexadecimal crap just to make it recognize my 1680x1050 resolution.

Exactly, you don't. You just have to go to the control panel and set it to 1680 x 1050. Why would you have to hack a driver?

I've used Ubuntu. It's nice, but something my mom would be better off with.

I personally do not use Ubuntu because of a bug currently present in 7.10 which is being identified as a wishlist fix!

SLUB (the new kernel memory allocator delivered with Gutsy Gibbon) exposes a bug in fglrx that manifests itself as a failure over suspend/resume.

Which means I can not suspend my laptop!

^^^ I wonder if that is because of a problem in a closed-source nVidia/ATI video driver, where the Open Source community has no ability to modify/correct.

If it is ATI, then the situation may turn around when ATI finally releases their drivers and/or specs to the Open Source community. At that point, the video driver can be freely modified to match the kernel memory allocator

^^^Yes, my graphics card that does not work with Ubuntu is an ATI graphics card. From what I read, most of them are supported but the one I have (x1600) is not.

dude thats because ati linux drivers s*ck, nvidia's bit better.

don't like the way ati drivers are on win aswell

Some of you in this thread said Ubuntu is "easy", but I think we still can do things the "hard" way, e.g. configure everything as we like, am I right? I'm using Kubuntu, you're making me wanting to try some other distro, probably Debian, just to see how it feels to totally "rule" the system, but I fear to lose many things I've already got. :(

Some of you in this thread said Ubuntu is "easy", but I think we still can do things the "hard" way, e.g. configure everything as we like, am I right? I'm using Kubuntu, you're making me wanting to try some other distro, probably Debian, just to see how it feels to totally "rule" the system, but I fear to lose many things I've already got. :(
My advice is, if you are happy, why switch?

My advice is, if you are happy, why switch?

couldnt agree more. if kubuntu is doing it for you then switching to something else may be regrettable.

if ya wanna control your system, try slackware, gentoo, better some of bsd's

debian won't let you much more than ubuntu

couldnt agree more. if kubuntu is doing it for you then switching to something else may be regrettable.

maybe something else is doing even better.

sometimes you even gotta look back -- hell i hated windows when i had to use it (didn't know anything else that time), then after 2yrs of linux i switched back, and now i don't wanna switch to anything else :) not even mac

If you are happy, but always seeking "something better", you will forever be installing different flavors.

I'd rather use my computer when I am happy with it. Not constantly seek "better".

I'm a windows user thats why.

My desktop actually has a Ubunto partition but ultimatly I use that PC for gaming. Also things like sound drivers are a bit problematic too (Creative). while I have a partition there I'm going to be replacing the desktop in the near future. When I do that I think I'll kill off the Ubuntu partition and instead set up a copy to run in a virtual machine. It's a nice OS but I've never felt inclined to use it as a primary OS, especially since I like to game.

I also prefer Windows UI over Gnome, although I'm sure either with time or some fiddling around I'd either get used to it or be able to modify the UI to suit my needs.

I don't use it now at home because I can't even start a proper X session on my new system. I've tried everything I can and not a single version of Linux can start X except getting the mouse pointer visible (the kernel simply crashes when attempting to continue, and doesn't even allow any sort of login from a terminal (ssh or local)). Serves me right for buying the latest hardware I guess! Still use it at work though.

I don't use it now at home because I can't even start a proper X session on my new system. I've tried everything I can and not a single version of Linux can start X except getting the mouse pointer visible (the kernel simply crashes when attempting to continue, and doesn't even allow any sort of login from a terminal (ssh or local)). Serves me right for buying the latest hardware I guess! Still use it at work though.

um thats odd, its very arely that the kernel would halt a system like that over an X deal.

Now im assuming you tried editing your Xorg.conf file, and loading standard VGA or vesa as a starter point. Because if you said you could get the mouse pointer visible and move it around, but nothing else shows, your X server is running properly, just nothing has been executed like a desktop enviornment for example... i dunno i cant say for sure since not much detail has been provided.

heh gentoo base install is second nature to me :)

I don't even need a handbook anymore

but now I'm like Sabayon (gentoo based)

love portage <3

What outrageous flaw?

In my experience every release has worked as good or better than the last.

well it's just me but ubuntu was never able to recognize any of my display or graphic card, and i have very popular hardware, (Samsung & acer display and fairly recent ATI Card and NVIDIA card) oh and the xorg.conf GTK frontend just never worked for me. and bulletproof X is lame. I had to manualy replace the xorg.conf to make it "work". not that bulletproof.

In Gutsy It fail to recognize my DVD burner (Pioneer). Same thing goes for my sound card. HDA Intel. VERY popular sound card especially for laptop, and in Gutsy it just break all the time. Suspend/sleep work half of the time. Not to talk about the oh so shaming bug that make extensive use of hard drive and reduce its life to 2-3 years.

The recent tight inclusion of compiz fusion result in a buggy (well, once again, for me) version of compiz and to me it's very sad.

It's just my experience, and it's just me, I have strong opinion and I'm one of the very few people who dislike ubuntu and wouldn't recommend it to an enemy.

@hopecon.

good post, it wasnt just snoty rant against ubuntu.

and out_of_curiosity , did you try any "Other" linux distro? how did it fare? if that failed too, then linux_kernel is not being good to your hardware. sometimes you need to get new kernel_versions to fix things which I always find what I have to do no matter what distro I have tired in past decade.

I AM using kubuntu 7.10 at the moment Although I was playing with debain for some time.

While I'm not your average noob and I do learn reasonably quickly I'm by no means a linux expert, More stuff on ubuntu seems to work out of the box for me, and I like the debian based apt system...

Arch looks interesting but I just got ubuntu setup how I like it and not sure I want to go though the hassle of changing distro, Pity I didn't see it last week or earlier.

Might still go have a play with it on another computer or setup another partition on this one...

Is it possible to copy my Firefox profile, Pidgin/thunderbird config from one distro to another? as that might make playing with each distro easier.

just copy the $HOME/.purple and $HOME/.mozilla to a thumbdrive and put them back afterwards. It'd also be better just to make a seprate /home partition and DONT format it on a new install.