Why don't you use Ubuntu?

hopecon
@hopecon.

good post, it wasnt just snoty rant against ubuntu.

and out_of_curiosity , did you try any "Other" linux distro? how did it fare? if that failed too, then linux_kernel is not being good to your hardware. sometimes you need to get new kernel_versions to fix things which I always find what I have to do no matter what distro I have tired in past decade.

I'm using Fedora (Fedora 8 Test 3 currently ) as my main desktop since FC6. and I never had big problem with it, The only thing that Fedora 8 fail to recognize is my integrated webcam. No big deal. I couldn't be more happy with an OS than i'm with Fedora

I also tried OpenSUSE, Mandriva, Gentoo, and Zenwalk. But always came back really quickly to Fedora. It's always up to date and for me, always stable.

kyro
I'm using Fedora (Fedora 8 Test 3 currently ) as my main desktop since FC6. and I never had big problem with it, The only thing that Fedora 8 fail to recognize is my integrated webcam. No big deal. I couldn't be more happy with an OS than i'm with Fedora

I also tried OpenSUSE, Mandriva, Gentoo, and Zenwalk. But always came back really quickly to Fedora. It's always up to date and for me, always stable.

Do not want to hijack this topic but yea, F8 is coming extremely good. I have tested it with live-cd since test1 and its progress is nice. (specially for laptop user ) try to use http://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto I am finding its interesting project.

if your laptop is HP/Sony I know a way to get cam working with third party stuff.

TexasFlood

Well I just made the move to Ubuntu permanently, without Windows at all.

I tried this a year or two ago and hated Ubuntu...it crashed, no flash, no video drivers, no multimedia plugins that would work (only half of them did) but this time it's awesome! I'm loving it. I miss Photoshop however and my X-Fi doesn't work although Alpha drivers are out at the moment, but Creative is pretty lazy.

I'm really impressed with Ubuntu. I could easliy see myself using this OS for a few years to come, screw Vista altogether (have it at work and *hate* it), for me it's either XP or Ubuntu and I think it might be Ubuntu, I'll see if it wears off in the next few months though!

markjensen

^^^ I am pretty sure that 6.10 came with Flash, and Video drivers. ;)

Not sure which plugins you are talking about, but I will take your word you had problems (even if drivers where there and worked, there may have been other difficulties).

For me, I tried Linux (back in Red Hat 5 days) and found it ok, but didn't quite suit me. It wasn't until I tried it again with Red Hat 7.3 that it stuck, and I haven't ever looked back. It really grows on you when you see how well it performs over time, and how little maintenance it requires once it is set up.

idk_

I've tried it, but NVidia drivers failed to install correctly (automatic, manual, and custom methods) and hence could never get games and desktop effects running. That and I can never get it to look as good as some people's screenshots (default is so terrible). >.<

cork1958

As a matter of fact. I just installed Kubuntu Dapper LTS on a very stubborn machine that WILL NOT let me reinstall ANY version of Windows again! Even the original restore disc will not boot to the desktop after running it. I went with Kubuntu/Ubuntu just because of the long term support on it as that machine gets used very little and don't want to mess with it anymore.

-Hiroshi-

Had issues straight away with Firefox, it seemed to be a heavy client, dumbed the OS down badly. Flash seemed to lag horribly, ATi support is laughable, the build seemed unstable, no real fit and finish to speak of, plus I hold a very deepening hatred for the ever buggy, outdated, shoddy xorg.conf...