Adobe Premiere Help

I'm kind of new to Adobe Premiere, and I'm finding it fairly difficult to do some very simple things.

1) The default video size is 720x480, and I modified that by choosing Custom Settings and Video for Windows, and modifying it to the more typical 320x240. However, when I import a 320x240 video into my project, it's all stretched and misaligned, and even worse when I render and export it as a movie file (I would think at least the preview and the output would be the same!). Why is this happening? It should be verystraightforward to import files of the same working dimensions, but Premiere seems to make things very difficult.

2) As well, I tried adding a simple zoom-in effect, by modifying the Fixed Effects -> Motion -> Scale values and using two simple keyframes (100% and 150%), but when I render and output, the zoom is very choppy and just very poor quality in general. Any outlook on this?

3) In the future, I want to be able to do some simple effects, such as having a smaller video crawl across another full-size video, and maybe have the crawling video fade out. Will this be possible, and how simple would it be? I imagine it would involve adding another video clip in another channel, scaling it down to say 30% or so, and modifying the position the same way I modified the scale value above, but again, this seems to be a very difficult process.

EDIT: Using Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0