• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Everyone's Switching to Mac's

markjensen    101

I personally don't know a single person that owns an Apple, other than the handful of lemmings that have an iPod sitting around somewhere.

And how is it that you have knowledge to share with us on how people choose an Apple because they are thoughtless lemmings, rather than perhaps required or desirable for their line of work, or they just want relatively worry web browsing and email.

And you decide to stereotype them with negative imagery. Good job. A new low point to this thread.

giga    46

This thread sure took the crapper--it's not like Ker was trying to convert you guys to Mac or anything, sheesh.

By the way, I agree with the OP. At least 30% of my campus must use macs looking at all the apples I see on the back of laptops. They haven't saturated the market but they sure as hell put a dent in it looking at their sales figures.

Two research firms that track the computer market said last week that Apple would move into third place in the U.S. behind Hewlett-Packard Co. on Monday, when it reports product shipments in the fiscal fourth-quarter as part of its earnings announcement, the Times reported.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/appl...07AA02359421%7D

neufuse    4,135
A year or so I was the only one with a Mac. With my brother getting one today, and most of my friends having purchased one recently most everyone I know has an Apple Computer now. Its funny how quickly things have changed, and I love the fact that I don't have to remove spy-ware on a monthly basis from peoples PC any-longer.

And yet I can only name one person that has one in my area... I've noticed that a lot of people online that buy them buy them for the looks and use bootcamp for windows... just my impression

phantasmorph    1
And how is it that you have knowledge to share with us on how people choose an Apple because they are thoughtless lemmings, rather than perhaps required or desirable for their line of work, or they just want relatively worry web browsing and email.

And you decide to stereotype them with negative imagery. Good job. A new low point to this thread.

I have nothing against Apple computers, or even the people that own them. I have a problem with people that buy an iPod simply because it's an iPod, then leave it sitting in a drawer somewhere because they actually have no use for it. Hence the iPod-lemming statement I made, unless in your strange world an iPod is required for employment. And even that, isn't really much of a "problem" I have, in as that I've never had longer than a 10 second conversation about a media player. Way to seriously miss the point and go on another of your pointless tirades.

NateB1    75
You need to read this.

And please, everyone you know is not everyone, since you, and everyone else, can only accurately conceptualize about 150 people. I personally don't know a single person that owns an Apple, other than the handful of lemmings that have an iPod sitting around somewhere.

Maybe I'm unique, but I think I can accurately conceptualize over 150 people. I fully "conceptualize" the bus drivers and other various people I see (like mailmen, construction workers, etc.) as human, with feelings and a family. I don't think of anyone, including the posters here, as drops in a sea of people.

Consequently, I view the posters here as real human beings, including Mac users. I'm sure the OP knows everyone is not switching, I think he was just commenting on people he knows.

Outside of the family/friends I support, none of which have switched, I do know of some who had a bad experience with Windows and have switched. And yes, sadly, I see a growing number of Macs popping up (I live near Portland, OR, in which there is a major Mac userbase).

In fact, I could play devil's advocate and turn your statement around: just because you don't see anyone switch does not mean no one is switching.

giga    46

A word to the wise: watch what you say and keep the rules in mind. You edited just in time. You know who you are.

acies    0

Sheeesh

It's all swords out here.

phantasmorph    1
Maybe I'm unique, but I think I can accurately conceptualize over 150 people. I fully "conceptualize" the bus drivers and other various people I see (like mailmen, construction workers, etc.) as human, with feelings and a family. I don't think of anyone, including the posters here, as drops in a sea of people.

Consequently, I view the posters here as real human beings, including Mac users. I'm sure the OP knows everyone is not switching, I think he was just commenting on people he knows.

Outside of the family/friends I support, none of which have switched, I do know of some who had a bad experience with Windows and have switched. And yes, sadly, I see a growing number of Macs popping up (I live near Portland, OR, in which there is a major Mac userbase).

In fact, I could play devil's advocate and turn your statement around: just because you don't see anyone switch does not mean no one is switching.

Never said they were or weren't. Merely said no one that I know has switched. Do I see people in airports or out-and-about with an Apple product? Yep. Do I know them? Nope.

Cormier6083    0
why are mac fanpeople so proud that they got people converted? Its so hypocritical... they argue how anyone that is pro-Microsoft is like a corporate zombie but isnt that the same thing if u were pro-apple?

Im sorry but im gonna have to equate mac fanpeople to Jehova's Witnesses.

(p.s. If you are a Jehova's Witness, im sorry if I offended you, its just that there are these two guys that keep coming to the house once every week and try to tell their "story", its quite annoying)

Pft... Ignored.

Have you ever used a Mac.... No? Didn't think so. If you've ever used one, you'd understand.

neufuse    4,135
This thread sure took the crapper--it's not like Ker was trying to convert you guys to Mac or anything, sheesh.

By the way, I agree with the OP. At least 30% of my campus must use macs looking at all the apples I see on the back of laptops. They haven't saturated the market but they sure as hell put a dent in it looking at their sales figures.

Two research firms that track the computer market said last week that Apple would move into third place in the U.S. behind Hewlett-Packard Co. on Monday, when it reports product shipments in the fiscal fourth-quarter as part of its earnings announcement, the Times reported.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/appl...07AA02359421%7D

Seems to be the opposite here... 15,000 students on campus and I think our last stat for the university (the poll every so often for types of systems used) and only 1% is Mac... duno if it will change but seems to still be mainly the art department that has them

sundayx    127

Yeah I'm in Arts and 80% of the computers that I see the department use and students bring to lectures are Macs. Otherwise in my other Geography and Philosophy courses the percentage is much lower.

However the Mac Q4 earnings is going to be annouced in 10 minutes and hopefully we can see some statistics there.

keyboardwarrior    0

I do not like Apple computer it hates me

KeR    84

Apple Q4 Financial Report, seems there is some truth to my post.

Anyhow, I didn't want this tread to be for bashing, as a matter of fact I only was talking about my friends and not the entire Earth population....

giga    46

Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh? computers, representing 34 percent growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record for Mac? shipments by 400,000. The Company sold 10,200,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone™ sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to 1,389,000.

“We are very pleased to have generated over $24 billion in revenue and $3.5 billion in net income in fiscal 2007,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’re looking forward to a strong December quarter as we enter the holiday season with Apple’s best products ever.” i>

Very nice. It's Apple first 2M+ in a quarter ever.

n301    0
Sheeesh

It's all swords out here.

Indeed it is, you can almost hear them, ping, ting, ping, ping, ting, ting.

af4    0

The Q4 numbers are staggering. Very impressive, indeed!

abcdefg    0

Someone send me a Mac. I don't care if its mini or G4 or whatever just send me one now. Otherwise I'm in need of therapy.

dwarm    0

I won't be switching any time soon, but I see why they're popular. They are pretty, sleek... I respect Apple for how well they did/are doing with iPods :) good stuff

PixilEyes    128
I won't be switching any time soon, but I see why they're popular. They are pretty, sleek... I respect Apple for how well they did/are doing with iPods :) good stuff

I wonder if they didnt have the ipod would their pc sales be as good?

giga    46

mac sales account for 62% of total revenue, Music sales account for 36%, research shows 95% iPhone owners would recommend device to others.

387,000 members in one-to-one and pro care...approx 40 stores to open in the coming year in the U.S. and internationally. First store in China to open in Bejing this summer.

af4    0

"Apple ended the fiscal year with $15.4 billion in cash and no debt," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the first quarter of fiscal 2008, we expect revenue of about $9.2 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $1.42."

Cormier6083    0

I hope Louisiana gets a store. We have a Bst Buy shop, but no store.

Chicane-UK    675

I got a Mac recently and I adore it frankly.

For me it brings together the functionality of Windows (support for digital cameras, good usable apps, etc) and the 'difference' of Linux as well as a lot of the tools i'm familiar with on Linux. It really is the perfect OS for me and its just a nice bonus that the Mac Mini is so inconspicuous and virtually silent in my room. I'm a light sleeper and its the first machine i've ever been able to leave running / doing stuff without it keeping me awake.

But hey.. everyone is different and I respect that. It works great for me though. Once Leopard hits i'll bootcamp the mac with Windows XP as I still need to go back for some things.. and then try and ween myself off my PC and specifically video games as they're all that are holding me back from being a proper switcher.

sundayx    127

Hong Kong should get a store before Beijing. IMO

Cormier6083    0
I got a Mac recently and I adore it frankly.

I have a question. Would you recommend a Mini to a friend? I'm thinking of getting one, but I need a good monitor.