Sony Ericsson K850i

Starting with this phone, I must admit it has a certain wow factor when you first put it in your hands. There are little tweaks that Sony did with this, that are evident, and make it more of a K900i phone, imo.

Simple things such as:

• There is an on/off button for the camera, that auto opens/closes the lens, and upon opening, the ring around the lens glows blue.
  • The xenon flash has been beefed up.
  • the bottom part of the phone is touchscreen, ie where the soft keys used to be.
  • There is no back cover to the device, and all the battery, sim, memory card are kept under a little flap under the charger port.
  • The surface on the phone looks like the front of the iPod touch, and very scratch resilient.

Now, on for some pictures :)

dsc01400yb7.jpg

This is the new Media Interface, and is kinda PSP/PS3 Style, and is accessible from the home menu, under media. There is still the traditional file manager hidden under organiser and tools, and sometimes I prefer using that, instead of faffing about with some fancy menu's all the time.

dsc01398so5.jpg

Just a pic of the phone menu system here. This, is different to typical SE platforms, as it now has the 3 softkey style that a lot of nokia's have, so I guess with this phone SE are trying to convert a few people from N95's, but that, is the art of the contract phone. Most people will be stuck with a N95 probably until SE's next iteration of this phone.

my.php?image=dsc01396ga2.jpg

Here we have the phone, nothing special here ;)

Right then....

Features

This phone, noticeably, is all about the 5.0M Cybershot camera, and it's bloody damn good. Ignoring the phone buttons, this is possibly just a Digital Camera. There is the typical switch to change between shoot, video, and playback, and also a wealth of settings, Including ISO ones, that you can faff about with in the camera settings.

The only downside to the camera, and SE know this, is that you have to be very careful on how you hold the camera, as I discovered, as you can cover the flash. This is included on a little sheet of paper in the box.

Zoom....... Remember on the K800i it was all blocky, and not exatcly smooth? you'd press zoom and a week later it would have zoomed too far? Well SE have got that sorted.

You press zoom now and its a smooth zoom action, well, smooth enough, and then it has to re-render the image again once zoomed in.. My only quibble with the device, it needs more ooomph, so that it can render stuff almost instantly, its probably due to a lack of memory :)

Like those posh Flash menus that the Cybershot series never seem to get? We now have em :) There is an included flash theme with the phone, and removes all Vodafone branding :D except for the little live symbol in

the corner, but I can manage with that :)

The bottom of the screen, Is touch sensitive. This is cool for around 1 minute, but to be honest, i'd rather have the buttons, as, I always seem to nudge something and cancel what i'm supposed to be doing. When I upgraded, the saleswoman in the shop was like I love the touchscreen thing on it.... Its kinda cool, but i'm sure at times you'll be wishing you had your buttons back.

On a big note. Most SE phones to my knowledge don't save the SMS messages to the memory of the phone, and store them somewhere where they impose a limit on the number you can have... Not this SE :D :D :D In message settings now, you have the ability to change the save location of the SMS messages to the phone's memory, or the Memory card. BIG BONUS, IMO.

Another nice touch is the built in sensors on the device, that know that its sideways, or vertical. This is made use of in a few different apps on the phone, Including the media bit, and also the Marble Madness game that comes with the phone, whereby you control the device with the tilt sensors.... :laugh:

Overall

Sorry I haven't included any camera images, but I will get some, and add them to the review. The Phone itself is very good, except for a few bugs that need to be ironed out, such as different bits and bobs with crashing.

The good things are that SE have stepped up the game and added QVGA Video recording support, a 5.0mp Camera, and other additions, such as being able to support MicroSD and M2 memory cards! :)

The phone will also support 8Gb MicroSD cards (Confirmed by me), so it could be used for a Walkman if you wanted so.

I've probably missed loads out, so feel free to ask any questions.

:)

You make me jealous :| :p ! I wish I had waited until I got this phone but my old phone couldn't last that long enough :cry: . I have a few questions though:

1. Considering SE sometimes have a habit of including MegaBass in some non Walkman phones i.e. K750i, is it available in this phone?
  2. How bright is the screen and what is the screen size?
  3. I've read from Mobile-review that it is using the new OS for this SE which brings it up to the S40 of Nokia, hence the 3 button layout. Anything else changed significantly?
  4. What's the sound quality like, how loud does the speaker go and what do the earphones look like?

Good review (Y) , though a bit lacking in some areas :p .

Scirwode

You make me jealous :| :p ! I wish I had waited until I got this phone but my old phone couldn't last that long enough :cry: . I have a few questions though:
  1. Considering SE sometimes have a habit of including MegaBass in some non Walkman phones i.e. K750i, is it available in this phone?
  2. How bright is the screen and what is the screen size?
  3. I've read from Mobile-review that it is using the new OS for this SE which brings it up to the S40 of Nokia, hence the 3 button layout. Anything else changed significantly?
  4. What's the sound quality like, how loud does the speaker go and what do the earphones look like?

Good review (Y) , though a bit lacking in some areas :p .

Scirwode

It has MegaBass :)

The screen is pretty good, i'd say a tad better than the one on the K800i, although nothing drastic.

Nothing has changed significantly, more updates, such as the media player, the ability to play sideshows, ect. It like the k800i, just beefed up a lot.

The speaker is 10x louder than the pile of scrap that was in the k800i, quality, i'm not so sure on, i've only had the phone a day and don't use music all that much.

The included headphones are the normal SE ones, not the inner ear ones, which i suppose will be forever dedicated to the walkman Series :( They come in black, to match the phone though, :laugh:

I'll find out the SQ when I get it. It should be pretty good, most phones are.

Im after a new phone, I'm looking at this phone, but I'm getting more drawn towards the older K800i. Simply because this phone appears to be made out of glossy plastic. Which in my experience doesn't last that long (I've had an LG KG800 for a year and its practically dust in my hands now, due to the bad material).

How does the material feel? Tough? Just as good as the K800i maybe?

Im after a new phone, I'm looking at this phone, but I'm getting more drawn towards the older K800i. Simply because this phone appears to be made out of glossy plastic. Which in my experience doesn't last that long (I've had an LG KG800 for a year and its practically dust in my hands now, due to the bad material).

How does the material feel? Tough? Just as good as the K800i maybe?

its perfect :) its a tough material and wont scratch IMO :) intact, i've just tried with my car keys and is very resiliant :) didn't scratch at all.

Hopenthis helps :) x

how does the 4-way directional pad feel? as with the k800 the joystick is pretty simple and easy to use to navigate, but the directional pad on this looks kinda harder as its in the middle of the keyboard, also do 2 and 5 act as select buttons? (like a middle button on a directional pad)

I have had mine delivered to work - then gone on holiday :( Doh!

Still, should have it by Friday, and already put together a theme using the kickass SE Theme Editor.

its perfect :) its a tough material and wont scratch IMO :) intact, i've just tried with my car keys and is very resiliant :) didn't scratch at all.

Hopenthis helps :) x

Err the back of mine has started to scratch already and the only thing its been in is my pocket on its own with only its lanyard...

No coins or keys..

Aint funny

Just got the phone myself, It's nice, a bit hard to get used to the new touchscreen/button setup and my god, fingerprint magnet!

Aw. Thats what I was afraid of. Dont want that at all!

Definitely getting the K800i now!

Err the back of mine has started to scratch already and the only thing its been in is my pocket on its own with only its lanyard...

No coins or keys..

Aint funny

Mine lives with my iPod touch and there ain't one scratch on it.... :wacko:

I dunno, seems like a good surface to me...

Just received mine. Not turned on yet - just charging. Like how the new charger has a pass-through port.

It's on O2 but in an original SE box so hope branding is minimal and not crippleware.

Will review later - damn it's hard to not play with it right now...

Damn, SE don't currently offer a decent car-holder/cradle for this phone. I ALWAYS buy the proper one for all my phones, as they include pass-through fast-port connections.

I'm tempted by this, currently have a w810i but it's over a year old and contract has just ended. only let down is it looks really thick and i wanted to get something thinner than my current one.

I'm tempted by this, currently have a w810i but it's over a year old and contract has just ended. only let down is it looks really thick and i wanted to get something thinner than my current one.

Its the same size as the k800i pretty much, a bit shorter and a little bit wider. Looks are deceptive :)

And to njlouch, the chargers have been like that for a while now on SE's, I got one with my K800i.

Personally i like how the fone supports MicroSD as well as M2.

Well, got mine - and just WOW! Wasn't impressed with the small memory inside, but then realised I have a 2gig card spare - so put it in, and jobs a good-un, fast, stylish and just so full of features.

I now sync it with Outlook, manage music through Winamp library, and it's hooked into the rear aux of my car stereo with a mic so I have hands free.

It's a fingerprint magnet though. And the keypad took about 10 mins to get used to, with the odd joypad and touchscreen.

Right now, it's been nicked - my collegues can't believe the wii-like marble madness!

Well, got mine - and just WOW! Wasn't impressed with the small memory inside, but then realised I have a 2gig card spare - so put it in, and jobs a good-un, fast, stylish and just so full of features.

I now sync it with Outlook, manage music through Winamp library, and it's hooked into the rear aux of my car stereo with a mic so I have hands free.

It's a fingerprint magnet though. And the keypad took about 10 mins to get used to, with the odd joypad and touchscreen.

Right now, it's been nicked - my collegues can't believe the wii-like marble madness!

Well i'm impressed with the Marble Madness, but Labyrinth on the iPod Touch is soooo much more responsive :(

How did you do the Hands Free car thing? I'm intrigued.

OK...

My car stereo has an input at the back for aux-in. It takes a 3.5mm jack.

Bought a hpm-85 or such, that basically clips into the fast-port, has an inline remote for media control, and includes a microphone.

Plug it all together with a male 3.5mm jack to male 3.5mm jack. Bingo, ?15 hands free.

All the wiring is routed behind the dash, the controls and mic are mounted. Works perfectly!