10 Mbps vs 20 Mbps

Hey peoples,

I can upgrade my connection from 10 Mbps to 20 Mbps for $25 a month... is the upgrade really worth the extra cash? ($25 is not much cash to me, but I don't want to spend it if I cannot tell the diff)

Thanks

James

I don't think its worth it since even at 10mbps I doubt you can reach full speed on a normal or torrent download

Unless you're a big Usenet user

I'd do it if I could. I have the 8mbps package from Comcast which, along with speedboost gives me 16mbps for the first 30 seconds or so. My newsgroups easily max out the 16mbps portion and while at school I was able to pull over twice that rate.

If you are just using torrents or downloading normal stuff I doubt you'll see a difference. So essentially I agree with Hankyone.

its good for online gaming and downloading big files such as distros or wheter u're on the bit-torrent network

personally, i'd stick with the 10mbit line, isnt 1mb of downstream enough?

im on a 3mb line and would love to go higher

peoples,

Thanks for the quick responses.

What I'm not seeing here is would I see improvement in standard web browsing? Also me and my wife sometimes share the line.

Thanks again.

What I'm not seeing here is would I see improvement in standard web browsing? Also me and my wife sometimes share the line.

I can say with 100% certainty that you wouldn't :D

I want to move where you live though. 20Mbps...holy cow

Wich company is your conenction with right now and will it change with the upgrade?

I'm with Time Warner (so far we cant get FIOS to our apt here in Manhattan NYC) and they are the one company that we can get high speed connection at the moment (the way the high rise apt is wired)

I can say with 100% certainty that you wouldn't :D

I want to move where you live though. 20Mbps...holy cow

We live in fabulous Manhattan New York City. ;)

Can I ask why it wouldnt speed my browsing performance?

I'm with Time Warner (so far we cant get FIOS to our apt here in Manhattan NYC) and they are the one company that we can get high speed connection at the moment (the way the high rise apt is wired)

We live in fabulous Manhattan New York City. ;)

The webpages are downloaded in very small parts 1KB to maybe at most 100KB those will come in very fast to start with at 6Mbit so 10 you will see very little over 6 and 20 even less over 10... now with large downloads 50MB+ you will see a difference if the server you are getting from can support that speed

Because web browsing won't generally even have a chance to max out a 10mbit line, let alone a 20mbit one.

My ISP upgraded me from 10mbit to 20mbit for free a few months ago and for what I do it's been absolutely awesome (downloads from 1200KB/sec now up to 2400KB/sec), but web browsing is definitely exactly the same.

Ok, Thanks gang. All the quick answers help. We'll take a pass at the moment. Maybe when we start doing Media Center to stream music/video all over the apt and download vids from Netflix, etc it'll be worth it. But thanks for the savings.

Peace,

James

It would by a few microseconds.....can you notice that small a difference? Basically, it would help you loading large (and I mean really really large) pages...like video streaming, but just day to day browsing won't show any significant improvement.

If you download off heavily seeded torrents/usenet/newsgroups a lot, you should get the 20mbit line definitely.

I use 24mbit and I had to set internet explorer to use 48 connections to notice the lightning fast web page loads... Default is limited to 2 connections afaik..

I use usenet so its quite worth it and with over 2mbit of upload, its useful for my server software...

But then again i use the internet like the worlds about to end