Video/Audio encoding question

Just wondering about encoding SD material to maximum HD quality.

Here are the stats for the file I'm using as an example (stats taken from Nero Recode 2)

Title: The 4400, Season 3 Episode 3, Being Tom Baldwin

Resolution: PAL 720x576 (standard definition?)

Compression: MPEG-2

Display: 16:9 Wide

Frame Rate: 25.00fps

Picture: Progressive

Average Bitrate: 6.25mbps

Primary Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1-ch English (Khz and kbps rates unknown)

File size after rip from disc: 1.995 GB (only primary audio was ripped with the file, no extras or subtitles)

What encoding program would ensure maximum quality for this file, but in higher definition (eg. 1920x1080p)? Or, would it better to leave the file as is?

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering about encoding SD material to maximum HD quality.

Here are the stats for the file I'm using as an example (stats taken from Nero Recode 2)

Title: The 4400, Season 3 Episode 3, Being Tom Baldwin

Resolution: PAL 720x576 (standard definition?)

Compression: MPEG-2

Display: 16:9 Wide

Frame Rate: 25.00fps

Picture: Progressive

Average Bitrate: 6.25mbps

Primary Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1-ch English (Khz and kbps rates unknown)

File size after rip from disc: 1.995 GB (only primary audio was ripped with the file, no extras or subtitles)

What encoding program would ensure maximum quality for this file, but in higher definition (eg. 1920x1080p)? Or, would it better to leave the file as is?

it would be hard to make it that much bigger and keep the qaulity and a file that plays on your system. why do you need to make it bigger?

• 2 weeks later...
it would be hard to make it that much bigger and keep the qaulity and a file that plays on your system. why do you need to make it bigger?

Good point. I've reconsidered this long since I posted. So then, I'll just keep the files as they are.

And try to figure out a way to stream them through to my PS3 which can upscale them anyway.