[UK] First time buyer needing moped advice

Hey all!

Right, let me begin this thread by saying that I am completely and utterly clueless when it comes to cars/motorbikes/etc, so bear that in mind.

Basically, I am 16, which as far as I am aware, means I can ride a moped, but cannot learn to drive.

Since starting a new job this week, I am now being paid considerably more, but it is further away than my last job... at least by public transport it is. I have to get up for 6:30AM to make it to work for 9:00AM by public transport. This is by no means ideal, and coming home, finishing at 5:00PM, I don't get home till gone 8:00PM.

So, I basically need advice on what moped I should get. I will be picking up around ?280 before tax, weekly, so I guess a moped is going to cost me about 2 or 3 weeks wages?

I need something that is cheap to run, both petrol-wise, as well as insurance-wise, considering my age and that I have never learnt to drive before.

Also, I know you can't take a moped on a motorway, but would I be able to go on A-roads, and dual carriageways? My route involves going on the A570, and then the A57. In total, according to theaa.com, my route is about 14 miles each way.

Finally, I need to know how much tax is.

So basically:

1) What moped?

2) How much is it going to set me back?

3) Where would I get one from?

4) Can I use it on A-roads?

5) How much is a tax-disc?

6) Roughly how much is insurance on it?

7) How long does it take to learn, and how much does it cost (including the tests)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alex.:))

1) What moped?

2) How much is it going to set me back?

3) Where would I get one from?

4) Can I use it on A-roads?

5) How much is a tax-disc?

6) Roughly how much is insurance on it?

7) How long does it take to learn, and how much does it cost (including the tests)?

1) Up to you.

2) From a few hundred upwards to buy a new one, a well known brand low-end moped will be coming close to ?700+. You'll need a decent helmet and some waterproof gear. You'll see about 80 - 100mpg.

3) Should be a dealer (normally specific moped dealers or motorbike dealers) in most large towns

4) Yes, but, you'll be limited to 30mph - personally I wouldn't fancy riding one on a busy A road with a higher speed limit.

5) ?15 a year

6) Most dealers do deals with either cheap (?100 or so) or free insurance on new mopeds.

7) Not that tricky, CBT is about ?60

I suggest you go on the autotrader website, http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/b...rch_form.action

You want 0-75cc, post code, distance and also the price range you are looking for.

Be carefull of some scooters, people tend to derestrict them. You really want a bog standard 50cc one.

You can go on A roads, but I would not go no one that is over 40mph. Some main A roads are 60-70mph!

Okay, so let me get this right, everything that is 50CC is classed as a moped, and therefore can be ridden on the road by a 16 year old?

Also, is this list EVERYTHING that I need, or is there anything else on top of it?

Moped - ?500

CBT - ?70

Provisional - ?45

Tax - ?15 P/A

Helmet etc - ???

Has to be 50cc, has to be limited to 30mph.

Helmet and weatherproof gear will cost you about ?100 upwards. The more you spend (without going crazy!), the better kit you get. Cheap weatherproofs will have you sweating like a pig!

You're in the no-man's land of bikes legally speaking, because at 16 all you can drive is something that will get you killed if you take it on fast road, it's really only is good enough for small journeys in cities.

The fact is, until you're 17, you're legally restricted to 30mph, and that makes your moped dangerous if you go on an average road...people will overtake you a lot, etc.

Most guys your age will de-restrict their mopeds so that it will get to 50-60 mph, which makes it much easier to ride around, except that if you crash, since you were not meant to have de-restricted it, you're in trouble.

Moped-wise, go for safe brands, Piaggio, Honda, Gilera... theyre a bit pricier than the chinese bikes, but very much more reliable and you'll be able to sell them for bout 80% of what you bought them for, they dont devalue much.

The CBT is a doss, dont worry bout it.

It takes less than a day (you start at 8.30am, youve got it by 3pm). You get given a bike and a helmet (you can choose an automatic or geared bike) and you get to practice with an instructor in the morning. then he takes you for a 30min ride in the afternoon and its in the bag.

I advise you to pick the automatic bike for your test if youve never ridden a motorbike before. The clutch can be a confusing thing if youve never driven.

When i did mine I had had a bit of experience from driving my friend's 250cc in turkey, so I did it on a geared motorcycle, but if you feel more comfortable with an automatic go for that.

You'll be fine, trust.

COncerning the purchase, as someone said, Autotrader is good.

Ebay has good deals as well if you live in a big town (otherwise having to pick up the bike 500 miles away from where you live could be a little hassle...especially at 30mph ;) )

Buy a bike with low miles (8000 max)

But yeah, mopeds are very much fun, be safe and all and pictures up when youve bought the mean machine!

Well I get paid weekly on a Friday. I owe a lot of money out, so I won't be able to do anything this Friday, but next Friday, I'll send off for my provisional. Then after that, I'll book my CBT in, then I'll get the moped bought last... maybe in about a month or 6 weeks. I'll resurrect this thread when I do. :)

Try and get a Japanese bike. All in all more reliable than their European counterparts - I know, I have a peugeot >.<

You should seriously derestrict it though, 30 mph is neither fun or safe, expecially on the roads you're going to be travelling on.

If you're worried about de-restricting it for insurance purposes, just buy an E-marked exhaust, these still have the restrictors in, but they break off quickly :p

yeah, and post up pics!

Just did my provisional license application for the DVLA on DiretGov's site. I filled in my passport number (it says if you do this, they will get your photo and signature off that instead). Anyway, went through the whole application and paid for my license, but at the end, it's generated me a PDF, told me to print it, and send in a passport-sized photo. Is this normal?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Just got my provisional through the post.. VERY quick indeed! Glad I did it online :) My CBT is booked in for Saturday, and should have my bike by either the 7th or 14th December :D

• 2 weeks later...

get it derestricted mate

it is illegal

but its a hell of a lot safer!

i had a gilera runnre 50 ( the bes tbike ;) )

and no way on some of the roads i went on could i get away with doing 30. Did 50 on the clocks, so it was a lot safer!

Accelerate like a bat out of hell lol!

DO NOT DO NOT

get a cheap chinese/japanese bike

sym or anything like that!

they are **** unreliable and rubbish for spares!

look on the net for a forum called TAG (twist and go) and post on there!

You want something from gilera/piaggo/yamaha etc

DO NOT DO NOT

get a cheap chinese/japanese bike

You want something from gilera/piaggo/yamaha etc

Yamaha is Japanese.... and Japanese crap? The Honda Super Cub is up to today the most successful powered vehicle in the history.

Kawasaki have some sporty lookin mopeds too, don't know them too well though, just see them every once in a while

Yamaha is Japanese.... and Japanese crap? The Honda Super Cub is up to today the most successful powered vehicle in the history.

Kawasaki have some sporty lookin mopeds too, don't know them too well though, just see them every once in a while

I believe he said 'cheap' Japanese bike... I know absolutely nothing about bikes/mopeds though so I don't know. My friend imported a japanese something-of-the-other motorbike and it was always in the garage. Last time I heard he had to have all his electrics redone. I was like..."Dude! Its a 3 month old bike!"