Tomato Firmware 1.11 Released

What is the purpose of running multiple SSIDs?

You have a primary SSID and if you want, you can have other virtual SSIDs. A situation that I can think of (and have used) is if you want your primary SSID to be bridged and secured with WPA/WPA2 for your use, but then you want another wireless network broadcasted from the save device, except you want it open and unbridged for other people to use.

edit: I have foneras that I run DD-WRT on and I use them as repeaters using multiple SSIDs. My router is too far away for a desktop that I have in another room. I have a fonera set up to latch onto the host router's SSID and I have a second virtual SSID set up so that it's broadcasting as an access point so that the desktop can connect to it.

Edited by h3xis

I've never considered flashing the firmware on my router and i'd consider it as working fine. Concretely, as the basic user who p2p's (dc++ mainly), what is in it for me using this apart form better looks?

If you have a Linksys router with stock firmware, it is not designed for P2P traffic. It will eventually lock up or cause problems. The custom firmware flavors fix this problem.

I just wanted to say so far tomato is great, I ended up getting my "bridge" to work. It ended up I wanted WDS instead of ethernet bridge

It also seems better handling QoS than openwrt

I've never considered flashing the firmware on my router and i'd consider it as working fine. Concretely, as the basic user who p2p's (dc++ mainly), what is in it for me using this apart form better looks?

You might want to look at this page comparing power output of Tomato and DD-WRT firmware with the stock firmware on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. I'm using two of these in WDS mode and they're great with Tomato 1.10.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...asc&start=0

I set up port forwarding and save it (which grays out the save button). If I keep the window with the router open everything works fine. As soon as I close it port forwarding goes away. When I go back to the router my entry dissapears. Am I doing something wrong?

I set up port forwarding and save it (which grays out the save button). If I keep the window with the router open everything works fine. As soon as I close it port forwarding goes away. When I go back to the router my entry dissapears. Am I doing something wrong?

Port Forwarding > Type in the rules > click Add > then click Save

could something be blocking the AJAX?

Tomato is nice, but nothing beats OpenWRT with X-WRT installed :) X-WRT is basically a really pretty web front-end for Open-WRT that's as nice as, if not better than, Tomato. You even have all the real time grpahs.

http://www.x-wrt.org/

OpenWRT+X-WRT gives you the amazing flexibility of OpenWRT (being able to install a LOT of programs/plugins) and the prettiness/user-friendliness of X-WRT. (and the said programs/plugins can all be installed from within X-WRT's interface itself... point and click! ;))

OpenWRT+ X-WRT have bandwidth monitoring for each computer? each device? :p

Nope part of the reason I like tomato so much. Not to mention its much more simplified, without lacking any major features. Openwrt is good if you have a specific need, such as having a vpn, or media server (via external HD), or a sound server (via external sound card).

The v5 is a crippled piece of sh**. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't as bad as everyone had said, but it's the truth. The micro version of DD-WRT may run on it fine, but there's no ssh and QoS functionality sucks. As far as I know the only advantage that DD-WRT micro has over Tomato is multiple SSIDs. Tomato can't run on the v5 but this isn't the author's fault. Tomato is based off of the original WRT54GL linksys firmware. It's meant to run on devices with RAM and flash that exceeds that of the v5/6. DD-WRT is based off of OpenWrt, which was built from scratch, thus it's easier to remove certain utilities and cut back on other things so that the firmware image can be shrunken down.

Oh, I agree.

But let's face it, some people are stuck with this, and after paying 80 bucks for a router, they probably won't buy the L version (Linux) just to run aftermarket firmware.

True, DDWRT *MICRO* may not have much on Tomato, but it has TONS on the stock WRT54G crapola firmware - hence the reason I upgraded in the first place.

QoS sucks anyway, the entire concept is flawed based on detection methods and limitations of the current WAN technologies available.

Since I don't require remote terminal access to my router, I'm happy enough with telnet from within the LAN.

DDWRT is a bit heavy for the micro, what I really want is to get a Buffalo which is the highest-spec broadcom router on the market....

QoS is far from sucking. If it wasn't for QoS I would not be able to share torrents, as I would be hogging all available bandwidth from my family members. One might argue that you can set the top limit of up speed in a bittorrent client, but with QoS I can be seeding 70-80KB out at night, and when everyone is at school/work and then when my family members come home, it will throttle down if needed to 20-30KB so there is plenty for anyone else that needs it. In addition I can have ports such as 22 (SSH) to have an high priority .

The only way I could get DD-WRT to install on my Buffalo was to install Tomato first. The install.bat file included with Tomato worked really well and I had none of the problems I'd had trying to install any of the other third party firmware. The stock WHR-HP-G54 firmware only recognizes encrypted firmware so it's not a simple matter of just updating from within the GUI. And yes, I tried ddadder but it didn't list my model. After I installed Tomato and then finally got DD-WRT installed I decided I liked the Tomato firmware better so I reverted. :p I'm not experiencing any of the issues shown in the 1.11 changelog so I'll just stick with the 1.10 for now.

The only way I could get DD-WRT to install on my Buffalo was to install Tomato first. The install.bat file included with Tomato worked really well and I had none of the problems I'd had trying to install any of the other third party firmware. The stock WHR-HP-G54 firmware only recognizes encrypted firmware so it's not a simple matter of just updating from within the GUI. And yes, I tried ddadder but it didn't list my model. After I installed Tomato and then finally got DD-WRT installed I decided I liked the Tomato firmware better so I reverted. :p I'm not experiencing any of the issues shown in the 1.11 changelog so I'll just stick with the 1.10 for now.

Buffalo and DDWRT just made a business partnership, and Buffalo's will soon start shipping with DDWRT out of the box and fully supported.

It was bound to happen sooner or later, though I must admit, I'm surprised it's Buffalo that took the first punch. More power to them :)

Source: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

Buffalo and DDWRT just made a business partnership, and Buffalo's will soon start shipping with DDWRT out of the box and fully supported.

It was bound to happen sooner or later, though I must admit, I'm surprised it's Buffalo that took the first punch. More power to them :)

Source: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

I saw that too and without wandering too far OT, I wonder how they'll deal with the gov't regulatons on power output, channels available, etc. As it stands, you can crank the Buffaloes way beyond the stock settings without hurting them using third party firmware. I can't help but think that the new Buffaloes will have to be scaled back in another way to keep them in line with the FCC. Or possibly limit the functionality of DDWRT and make it even harder to change firmware?

just sold my wrt54g v6 for $40 and used to money to buy a buffalo WHR-G125. Major advantage of this router is that it has 240 mhz cpu. Immidiately flashed it with dd-wrt.. Should I try the tomato ? The router isnt on tomatoes supported list but it has almost the same specs as other tomato supported buffalo routers..

I wouldn't as a quick google has suggested that tomato is not compatible with the whr-g125 at this time, I should also make mention that that device statued as a WIP for openwrt.

You would have been far better of getting the WHR-HP-G54 or the WHR-G54