Transferring Exchange 2003 to a new Server

We're getting a new mail server in a few days, and I we are getting rid of the old mail server. I would like to migrate Exchange from the old server to the new server, but we don't have another drop in the rack, so I am going to connect the server in another office initially then move it into the rack when I think it is ready.

I've been reading a few KBs from Microsoft and some other articles, including posts here on Neowin, but I still have some questions.

1. Can I perform the replication of mailboxes and rehome folders and services if the new server is not connected to the domain, only the internet?

- Our old mail server is called "MAIL1" and I need the new server to also be named "MAIL1" so I cannot have both connected to the domain.

2. Can I simply join the new server to the domain as "MAIL2" to perform all the replication, then simply rename it to "MAIL1" when we take the old server offline?

3. Our current exchange server will only work properly if "DC1," our primary domain controller is online. For some reason, the mail server will not operate properly if only our secondary domain controller "DC2" is online. Is this controlled by RUS, or do I need to change a setting somewhere else to have it fallback to "DC2" if "DC1" is not available?

This is actually the first time I've ever tried migrating an exchange server, so I'm trying to read as much as I can to make sure I can do it quickly and correctly. However, the fact that the new server has to have the same name as the old server seems like it might make it difficult. I would really appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.

Thanks a lot!

We're getting a new mail server in a few days, and I we are getting rid of the old mail server. I would like to migrate Exchange from the old server to the new server, but we don't have another drop in the rack, so I am going to connect the server in another office initially then move it into the rack when I think it is ready.

I've been reading a few KBs from Microsoft and some other articles, including posts here on Neowin, but I still have some questions.

1. Can I perform the replication of mailboxes and rehome folders and services if the new server is not connected to the domain, only the internet?

- Our old mail server is called "MAIL1" and I need the new server to also be named "MAIL1" so I cannot have both connected to the domain.

2. Can I simply join the new server to the domain as "MAIL2" to perform all the replication, then simply rename it to "MAIL1" when we take the old server offline?

3. Our current exchange server will only work properly if "DC1," our primary domain controller is online. For some reason, the mail server will not operate properly if only our secondary domain controller "DC2" is online. Is this controlled by RUS, or do I need to change a setting somewhere else to have it fallback to "DC2" if "DC1" is not available?

This is actually the first time I've ever tried migrating an exchange server, so I'm trying to read as much as I can to make sure I can do it quickly and correctly. However, the fact that the new server has to have the same name as the old server seems like it might make it difficult. I would really appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.

Thanks a lot!

i'm no expert, but i'll try, if i'm wrong hopefully somebody will correct me.

1. no, you have to be on domain to even install exchange

2. yes, renaming might not be completely simple, but this is the recommended practice Why rename it at all ? If you have smtp services pointing to mail1 or whatever the name is, just change dns to point mail1->mail2 and leave it as mail2...

3. dc1 is probably ur global catalogue server, if exchange cannot see this, then it information store won't start. I'm sure theres some sort of workaround here

this is pretty much step by step on what you need to do in order to migrate it... It's what i used to migrate to new hardware with practically 0 active directory knowledge..

http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp

Thanks Verge, the server just came in actually so I'm installing Server 2003 on it right now... I will read through this while I'm installing Server 2k3 so I'll have a plan when it comes time to install Exchange.

Are you going to be using both of the servers at the end of this migration? If not, just backup the old, install and restore on the new and plug it in again.

Do you mean using NTBackup or some Exchange tool? Sorry, I have very little experience with Exchange.

When I upgraded our server I added the new server to the domain. Installed Exchange. Once that's done you can right click user accounts and choose Exchange Tasks. One of the options will be to move the mailbox to another server.

Exchange will have a hissy fit and refuse to run if you rename the server btw.

You mention DC01 being down means your Exchange dies. Does DC2 have DNS Server on it and if so does the Exchange server have DC2 as its secondary DNS server?

Do you mean using NTBackup or some Exchange tool? Sorry, I have very little experience with Exchange.

I mean using your backup software, like Arcserve, to backup your old and restore to your new, yes.

I mean using your backup software, like Arcserve, to backup your old and restore to your new, yes.

Oh okay, we use Retrospect (the old Admin started using it so now I'm stuck with it) for backups. I don't like it very much, and it logs a lot of errors.

So you're saying it's easier to restore the settings of the old mail server to the new server? I thought there was a way I can have the new server connected to the domain (under a different name) for a few days and migrate everything over? Then I figured I could change the name when I take the old server offline.

When I upgraded our server I added the new server to the domain. Installed Exchange. Once that's done you can right click user accounts and choose Exchange Tasks. One of the options will be to move the mailbox to another server.

You mention DC01 being down means your Exchange dies. Does DC2 have DNS Server on it and if so does the Exchange server have DC2 as its secondary DNS server?

After you upgraded, did you take your old Exchange server offline?

What do you mean it has a fit if you change the name? So basically you're saying I'll have to keep the "temporary" name even after I'm done with the migration?

I know DC2 has DNS Server on it, but I'm not sure about it being Exchange's secondary DNS server. Do you know where I can check/assign it?

Yes I took my old one offline. After moving all mailboxes if you goto Add/Remove programs it will properly remove itself from Active Directory.

Yes your stuck with the temporary name. Why not pick a better naming convention so you don't need to worry about that?

You could create a temporary server in Microsoft Virtual PC, move the boxes to that server. Remove the old server. Add new server with the name you want then move the boxes from your Virtual Machine to the new server? Long winded imo. If your worried about going around all your PC's again you shouldn't have to, the outlook clients should automatically update themselves to connect to the new server. They get this info from AD.

Control Panel > Network Connections >

Right Click the servers network connection

Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties

It will say what two DNS servers the server is using.

Edited by ]SK[

This is what I've always seen done. Name the new server mail2 permenently. Just have both in the domain at the same time, in the same exchange site. Move Mailboxes from one server to another. Point the SMTP mail routing to mail2 in DNS. Set the new server as the Master, in the Routing Groups. Fix the Recipient Update Service to use the new server. Done, uninstall exchange on Mail1, shutdown machine. No down time at all and it's fairly easy. Done it before, it's not a big deal. You could also just backup and restore to the new server if you don't mind the down time involved in that. Remember, from the moment you start your backup no one can use the server until the new one is finished restoring and up.

Well thanks for all the great tips/information... I'm preparing the server today, but I was having some trouble setting up my RAID-5 configuration, but I think I got it set up properly now (it's installing Server 2003 right now).

Anyone know if this is right... I have 3 SCSI 73GB hdd's setup in RAID-5, but during the RAID configuration, it said available space was like 135.xx GB. I thought that the available space should be about 69GB or something like that because all three should be mirrored.

Once I'm happy with the configuration of the server I'm going to join it to the domain and install exchange, probably tomorrow while everyone is out of the office.

This is what I've always seen done. Name the new server mail2 permenently. Just have both in the domain at the same time, in the same exchange site. Move Mailboxes from one server to another. Point the SMTP mail routing to mail2 in DNS. Set the new server as the Master, in the Routing Groups. Fix the Recipient Update Service to use the new server. Done, uninstall exchange on Mail1, shutdown machine. No down time at all and it's fairly easy. Done it before, it's not a big deal. You could also just backup and restore to the new server if you don't mind the down time involved in that. Remember, from the moment you start your backup no one can use the server until the new one is finished restoring and up.

I know I saw how to change the RUS, but I keep seeing this step "point the SMTP mail routing to mail2 in DNS," not in those exact words, but in all of the guides I see something about this. Can someone tell me where I change that at? I couldn't find it in the DNS managment console (administrative tools folder)... also, I'm guessing I have to do this on the new exchange box, but where is the "Routing Groups" so I can change set the new server as Master.

I've finished installing Server 2003 R2/Exchange 2003 SP2 on my new server. When I open "System Manager" on MAIL1 (old mail server) I can now see both mail servers listed. I'm just not sure where do make these server changes.

With this method do I have to change any of the settings (RUS, SMTP mail routing, etc) in order to make it work properly? I don't want problems to arise once I shutdown the old mail server.

Well thanks for all the great tips/information... I'm preparing the server today, but I was having some trouble setting up my RAID-5 configuration, but I think I got it set up properly now (it's installing Server 2003 right now).

Anyone know if this is right... I have 3 SCSI 73GB hdd's setup in RAID-5, but during the RAID configuration, it said available space was like 135.xx GB. I thought that the available space should be about 69GB or something like that because all three should be mirrored.

Once I'm happy with the configuration of the server I'm going to join it to the domain and install exchange, probably tomorrow while everyone is out of the office.

I know someone already told you it is okay, but I'll explain why.

A RAID 5 requires 3 or more drives and it stripes the data across them.

To estimate total drive size take the size of the hard drive (x) and multiply it by the number of drives minus 1.

In your case:

73GB*(3-1) = 146GB (which is actually 135 GB when formatted).

With this method do I have to change any of the settings (RUS, SMTP mail routing, etc) in order to make it work properly? I don't want problems to arise once I shutdown the old mail server.

You will have to tell the SMTP to use the new server rather than the old server. Don't forget to make sure incoming port 25 is also pointing at the new server.

You will have to tell the SMTP to use the new server rather than the old server. Don't forget to make sure incoming port 25 is also pointing at the new server.

Where can I find th

Once you get all the mailboxes moved, try to change as many smtp configs as possible.. but on the old server, or new server, just search for all emails from the old mail server... when you can search for 2-3 days and get 0 results... then shut down exchange for a week, and see if anything stops functioning... if no complaints after a week, add/remove programs, but follow that guide i posted, as some of the mailboxes are hidden and some stuff won't replicate properly until you make right changes.

Once you get all the mailboxes moved, try to change as many smtp configs as possible.. but on the old server, or new server, just search for all emails from the old mail server... when you can search for 2-3 days and get 0 results... then shut down exchange for a week, and see if anything stops functioning... if no complaints after a week, add/remove programs, but follow that guide i posted, as some of the mailboxes are hidden and some stuff won't replicate properly until you make right changes.

Well right now the server is still in our lab, joined to the domain, but I haven't started migrating yet. Exchange has been installed and everything is patched...

So tomorrow I am going to try to see if I can use a switch in the rack (we don't have any more drops available) to connect the new server to temporarily while I migrate everything over.

Once I get it in the rack and online, I'm going to start moving mailboxes and changing settings to direct everything to the new mail server.

Okay... this is getting a little more difficult than I thought it would be at first. How do I move/enable the exchange site on the new server?

Why isn't there a way to tell one Exchange Server to hand over all duties to another exchange server?

Migrating to new hardware is fairly simple... Install exchange on the new box, it puts itself into the organization automatically. Move the mail boxes and adjust your firewall to point SMTP traffic to the new box. If the clients are running Outlook 2003 (possibly XP), Outlook will find the new server automatically when it is launched after the mailbox is moved. Migrate your public folders (google pfmigrate) and uninstall exchange from the old server...

Migrating to new hardware is fairly simple... Install exchange on the new box, it puts itself into the organization automatically. Move the mail boxes and adjust your firewall to point SMTP traffic to the new box. If the clients are running Outlook 2003 (possibly XP), Outlook will find the new server automatically when it is launched after the mailbox is moved. Migrate your public folders (google pfmigrate) and uninstall exchange from the old server...

What about outlook web access? They'll wring my neck if I don't get OWA up immediately.

Also, when you say point the firewall to the new server, the firewall on which server, the primary DC?

Ahh good catch. I didnt mention OWA... OWA installs itself with exchange. Just redirect HTTP & HTTPS on your firewall at the same time you redirect SMTP. By saying firewall, I mean whatever device you have pretecting your network... IE, SonicWall, Cisco, Watchguard, ISA, etc...