How do I build my own computer?

Speaking from experience, it's all pretty easy and straightforward given that you do read up on at least a couple of complete guides that can be easily googled.

Just remember to keep a lookout for any loose cables or connections that you might have missed out, as it may end up with a fried component as mentioned in an above post. And of course, do not exert too much force and RTFM when in doubt.

Oh while i remember it....

This type of cpu can be a bit annoying to put in since it has no pins... It is pretty important that you put it into the socket correctly. - Everyone there do not have this type of CPU can be confused first time they build a system like the one you are going to.

Again, get an experienced freind (if you got any) to help you if possible. As mentioned from another poster in an earlier post it can sometime works but the caples and stuff can be crappy placed :(

Oh and in regards to the note about my cabinet: It is silented... the fan making most sound is the graphic card and that will first start around 70-71 degree. - The dust... yes you can see trough it so you will notice dust.. however i clean my computer around once a month (LOL i wish).

that was long time ago, wasnt it?

i figure now mobo's detect stuff like that, and simply shut down instead of burning

am i wrong?

It was a few years ago but even that motherboard had this capability.

Yes, the motherboard detected a problem and shut itself off. But by the time the power cuts off the CPU has already

reached a very high temperature, and the extreme heat takes a long time to dissipate, well after the power has cut off.

It was a few years ago but even that motherboard had this capability.

Yes, the motherboard detected a problem and shut itself off. But by the time the power cuts off the CPU has already

reached a very high temperature, and the extreme heat takes a long time to dissipate, well after the power has cut off.

With a cooler like this:

That would never happen :)

screw motherboard to case also insert power supply at this time if it's not already in the case.

To alert the OP; if you're planning on using your Zalman CNPS 9700LED heatsink, you will first be required to fit parts of this to the motherboard before attaching the motherboard to your case.

To alert the OP; if you're planning on using your Zalman CNPS 9700LED heatsink, you will first be required to fit this to the motherboard before attaching the motherboard to your case.

And around now it is getting a bit to geeked for a first timers i am afraid.. take my advice and get a "freind" to help you :)

Buy a cabinet like mine: Straight plastic: http://www.northq.com/products/case/nq2500.html looks awsome 2 :)

No! :p

I've already got a case, one that will last a while, an Antex P182 :D. It was even suggested to me on one of the forums!

:D

open both sides of case.

ground yourself by touching the metal inside the case or use an anti-static wrist strap if got one

screw motherboard to case also insert power supply at this time if it's not already in the case. make sure wires are feeding around the motherboard from power supply alright.

turn the box horizontally for ease, then insert cpu into the socket make sure the lever on the side is up and unlocked. and be careful not to bend pins it should once seating in straight then lower the leaver and lock it in. now put a small dot of thermal paste in center on the back of heat spredder on cpu. now you mount the heatsink and fan (i'm not familiar with intels HSF so not sure exactly off top of my head how to install them but usually there should be little hooks which then clamp it down to hook onto). the fan should have a small 2-3 pin plug around cpu on motherboard should say "fan" and plug it in there.

now double check you're grounded and take your ram sticks and insert them into the right memory slots on motherboard. the motherboard manual will tell you what slot to put the sticks in if you have 1-2 sticks. make sure the locks on each side are fully seated and locked into place correctly.

now insert the graphics card into the correct pci-e slot and make sure the little lock leaver similar to memory is locked and its all seated fine.

now all core parts in you can now start plugging in and mounting your hard drive and optical drive in case which should go in the SATA ports which by using manual you can locate or if you can see what they look like.

Now you finally plug in the power (20 pin connector is usually near cpu) and the case cables (hdd led, on, restart, front audio, USB etc) which are usually located in the bottom right or along right side of the motherboard you may need magnifying glass if don't have great eye sight to see where each one should go. now plug all molex connectors and pci-e power in.

assuming all is done it should be all fired up ready to go and check and set all BIOS how it's needed then boot your linux, windows disk etc and install and you should be away with flying colours.

hope this helps though its not most detailed guide it's basic procedure and if lost on any of basic things google or PM me and should be able to help.

WOW... interesting guide. I will use your guide and this other one I found online (for the pictures).

Thanks

Panarchy

Speaking from experience, it's all pretty easy and straightforward given that you do read up on at least a couple of complete guides that can be easily googled.

Just remember to keep a lookout for any loose cables or connections that you might have missed out, as it may end up with a fried component as mentioned in an above post. And of course, do not exert too much force and RTFM when in doubt.

Thanks.

Quote - (Lt-DavidW @ Nov 16 2007, 13:51) *

To alert the OP; if you're planning on using your Zalman CNPS 9700LED heatsink, you will first be required to fit this to the motherboard before attaching the motherboard to your case.

Can I have a link to a guide, with pictures on how to do this? Please?

Can I have a link to a guide, with pictures on how to do this? Please?

Its pretty much all in the manual for the 9700LED, you need to ensure that you've got the bracket on the underside of the motherboard for the cooler before you install it into the case, otherwise you'll have to take it all out again...and that sucks.

Does anyone have a guide with the exact same motherboard model (or motherboard configuration) & the exact same cooling system (or one with the same orientation)

I don't know how to get my Zalman CNPS 9700LED cooling system, into my ASUS P5K Motherboard.

Some help, please.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

UPDATE (on my progress so far)

Things done;

Unpacked the case from the box

Installed PSU

Installed Motherboard

Installed RAM

Installed thing to do with Zalman CNPS 9700, to do with the motherboard (I haven't yet installed the actual fan)

Things left to do;

Hook up the case's fans to the motherboard (or whatever)

Install the Graphics Card (will be buying it tomorrow, or in an hour)

Install the CPU

Install the CPU Cooler

Install the DVD burner

Install the hard-drive(s)

Boot up my computer (wish me luck!

Update the BIOS

Install the OS's that I need (and partition the drive)

Install the software that I need (including the software included with the DVD burner & motherboard)

I feel that I am so close, yet so far away! I can't wait to finish, but I am interested in the process as well!

Hope you think I'm making good progress,

Panarchy

Which way up does the CPU go?

There are some notches on the CPU that match up with ones on the socket of the Motherboard.

Really, your best bet would be to get a friend or someone you know that has done this before. Just to look over your shoulder to make sure everything is correct or before you make a catastrophic mistake, like forgetting to plug the CPU fan in. I completely understand the pride and joy of doing it yourself. But having something hooked up wrong can be a costly and painful way to learn.

:(

Okay, but I really want to do it all myself!

most of the instructions come with the parts, the rest that isnt in the instuctions is easy enough to work out yourself.... only thing you dont wanna do is get the firewire and usb on the board mixed up and most things only have one place they plug into.

Please help!

I think I may of put the Zalman fan in, facing the wrong way!

Can someone please give me a pic of how a fan is meant to face?

(CPU cooling fan)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS:demorgoron, thanks for the site, someone suggested it on 2 of the other forums (2 different people) that I go on, thanks still.

Please help!

I think I may of put the Zalman fan in, facing the wrong way!

Can someone please give me a pic of how a fan is meant to face?

(CPU cooling fan)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS:demorgoron, thanks for the site, someone suggested it on 2 of the other forums (2 different people) that I go on, thanks still.

pics: http://techgage.com/article/zalman_9700led_cpu_cooler/2

animation: http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.a...x=229&code=

Yea, fit the Zalman with the fan facing towards the front of the case.

It can be tough to get on, I thought I was going to break something when I was doing it.