How do I build my own computer?

UPDATE (on my progress so far)

Things done;

Unpacked the case from the box

Installed PSU

Installed Motherboard

Installed RAM

Installed thing to do with Zalman CNPS 9700, to do with the motherboard (I haven't yet installed the actual fan)

Hook up the case's fans to the motherboard (or whatever)

Install the CPU

Install the CPU Cooler

Things left to do;

Install the Graphics Card

Install the DVD burner

Install the hard-drive(s)

Boot up my computer (wish me luck!)

Update the BIOS

Install the OS's that I need (and partition the drive)

Install the software that I need (including the software included with the DVD burner & motherboard)

Hope you think I'm making good progress,

Panarchy

on things to do list, before boot up part you should put in double check all the connections, plugs, etc, and would be good to triple check as well, just to be sure...

Hello!

Need some more help!

1. Where do all the cables go? From the psu (T.P.3 Trio Antec True Power 3 Trio PSU)? And from the case (Antec P182) (fans)? Images please!

2. I picked up my DVD burner, and something rattled inside, is this bad? Should I return it to the shop?

3. I can't seem to figure out how to get my harddrive into the case. The bmanual said something about using the screws provided, but I can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: Please reply

Hello!

:(

Bad news!

1. The Zalman fan connects to the 'rear P182 fan' & the 'Zalman' port. Neither of the on board (on case) fans have connection that can go in the small white (4 'pins' on one row) 'socket'/'plug'.

2. The 24 pin (2 rows) TruePower 550 that was also mentioned in the diagram (circled in red, as was 1.).

3. I haven't been able to plug any of the on board (on case) fans (P182) into the motherboard.

4. The harddrive (SATA), I have managed to 'find' one thing that connects to it (from the PSU) and one thing that connects to it from a 'plug' that I found in the ASUS (motherboard) box. There is still one more 'socket' on it, yet to be 'filled. It has 4 (1 row) 'pins' sticking up from it.

Please help me out here (once again).

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

as for number 4.

I think it is molex power connection. but if you have already connected power to it that you should be fine as HDD's don't need more that one power cable, well as far as I know...

as far as i know, my p180b (and it's pretty much the same p182) doesnt have any fans that need connection with motherboard. you just connect the molex connectors and regulate fan speed manually (there are these two tiny buttons at the back) -- antec (and so do i) recommends you to set them @low. that's 1200rpm and still way too fast and loud.

hell, why i'm telling this -- it's all written in the antec's user manual.

leave the zalaman plugged where it is

i don't understand what you mean with 2. (not my native language blahblah)

&just connect the "sata" power connectors to your disks and you'll be fine -- the older, 4molex connectors on hd's are for people with older powersupplies

don't **** around

it's all written in manuals you should have

^^ don't get me wrong, it's no kiddie "OMGRTFM" stuff -- it took me some time to get to this conclusion :D , but really, if you don't know something, you should read the manual. it usually becomes clear to me.

Hey man. I know what you're talking about when you say something about the manual. :) Dude. Common sense to RTFM. I mean, for myself. It took a lot of reading and common sense to figure it all out and to not bug other people about every little detail. I think the theory behind that practical and the manuals and instructions should give anyone the common sense to figure something out.

Yes, yes... I will give you pictures of my computer, tomorrow.

UPDATE (on my progress so far)

Things done;

Unpacked the case from the box

Installed PSU

Installed Motherboard

Installed RAM

Installed thing to do with Zalman CNPS 9700

Install the CPU

Install the DVD burner

Install the hard-drive(s)

Things left to do;

Find the screw needed for the DVD Drive (please help me out here!)

Hook up the case's fans to the motherboard (or whatever)

Install the Graphics Card (will be buying it tomorrow, or in an hour)

Boot up my computer (wish me luck!

Update the BIOS

Install the OS's that I need (and partition the drive)

Install the software that I need (including the software included with the DVD burner & motherboard)

I feel that I am so close, yet so far away! I can't wait to finish, but I am interested in the process as well!

Hope you think I'm making good progress,

Panarchy

Hey man. I know what you're talking about when you say something about the manual. :) Dude. Common sense to RTFM. I mean, for myself. It took a lot of reading and common sense to figure it all out and to not bug other people about every little detail. I think the theory behind that practical and the manuals and instructions should give anyone the common sense to figure something out.

true true :]

that's the reason they write manuals -- so even a toal n00b could understand :D only thing it asks, is that you read it carefully. it's just some punks who figure out they already know everything from birth (defect?)

most people don't, so it's not a shame to read manuals, nor it's a shame to ask if there is something unclear in the manual

"How do I build my own computer?" > "Weld all parts together and you're done my son" XD

No offence dude, but there are a lot of guides, manuals, etc for this. if you don't even have all the parts yet.. it's pretty damn hard :p

true true :]

that's the reason they write manuals -- so even a toal n00b could understand :D only thing it asks, is that you read it carefully. it's just some punks who figure out they already know everything from birth (defect?)

most people don't, so it's not a shame to read manuals, nor it's a shame to ask if there is something unclear in the manual

:lol:

'unfortunately' no defects :lol:

have you finished the build yet?

Nope not yet, had a couple of days where I didn't do anything.

And I don't have the graphics card yet, and it was only yesterday that I got the DVD Drive 'fixed'.

Wow, you're still busy building this thing? lol

This could have built in less than an hour, yet here you still are in week two. :laugh: :p

First time builder (in case you hadn't noticed :p)

^^^ if you read his last post than you might notice that he still doesn't even have a graphics card... yet..

Thanks. That's right.

Hello!

Here are the long awaited photos of my computer, my cables (the ones that I don't know where they go) & My DVD Burner.

mb1zb8.th.jpg

^Just a top view of what I have done so far. Might help you out with helping me out! :p

mb2lp0.th.jpg

:alien: be wary of the hand! ^I don't know where they go? Please help me out!

mb3op5.th.jpg

^Are there screws for this? It doesn't seem very stable, but the manual didn't mention screws...

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

antec usually uses those quick-release slides that clamp onto the side of your drive (optical or hdd) and then slide in the big brackets.

In fact I see 1 in your last pic, just to the left of your hdd - those things screw into the side of your drive and it just slides in from the front - it will be very stable then. you did this for the HDD? I think I see them next to the hard drive..