[10.4] Attack of the spinning ball..

Hey guys, afraid I don't have much to go on here, but perhaps someone has experienced this before.

I'm using iTheater on my Mac Mini G4, I'm when viewing a listing of Xvid movies, the cursor will just switch to a spinning ball, the system freezes and eventually the cpu fan will kick in (I think the freezing will eventually stop, but its like 2-3 minutes so I usually just shut it down via the power button). Basically I have in my Movies folder 2 video files + an Alias to a windows share with more divx/xvid files. So, the first file in the folder is fine, doesn't freeze, if I move to the second, it will cause it to freeze. Deleting the second video allows me to move to the alias file and navigate to the folders on my windows share, but the second I find a xvid video file it will freeze again.

I think when you hover over a video it displays a thumbnail of the video on the left, which might explain why its having trouble if its a codec issue. I have Divx Player + codec installed, and I can watch the files in that without any problems. I haven't tried in Quicktime, which is the back end I believe for MediaCentral and iTheater, but I know I've opened some Xvid files up in that and they appear to play fine (but bloody apple and its no full screen support so I haven't used it thoroughly).

I was getting this with Media Central ages ago when I eventually gave up on my mac out of frustration. If memory serves, Media central doesn't (or didn't then atleast) do thumbnailing.

Other options I spose are perhaps I just need to optimize the system (its a fresh install though) or its cooked itself from dust getting inside/over heating (possible).

I dunno, any theories? :(

Cheers. I tried the Apple hardware test and Rember and it didn't pick up anything.

I was fiddling before and had the same setup (the 2 movies + alias) on a wired network + vga monitor and it was all working ok. Usually its on a TV connected to an access point via cable, so perhaps thats relevant.. or perhaps not. :p