Every exe opens in 7zip, well, almost every.

What the hell is going on? :(

I woke up this morning with my laptop (being downstairs) already on. Considering I shut it off last night, it implies someone else used it, but everyone is still asleep.

I went to watch a few videos and opened up Media Player Classic, and it opened the folder it was in in 7zip. So I tried a few others, once again, it opened it up in 7zip. For some reason, however, Firefox seems to dodge the bullet and open up regularly. If I right clicked MPC and clicked run as, and opened it as the same user I was logged on as, it runs, however the codecs/apps I use such as ffdshow won't work (because everything runs in 7zip, meaning it can't access the codecs).

So I'm thinking somebody logged on as a different user somehow (even though I am the *only* user on there) and WinXP threw all of the permissions out of the window. So I restart. Bad move. 20 of my applications (I think a few of them were unnecessary system ones, because it opened up some random system32 folder) opened up in 7zip. The only ones in my task bar at the moment are my wireless icon, volume, and Mini-Disk Simple Burner.

Notepad won't open. Word won't open. Photoshop won't open. Visual Studio won't open. Most scarily, my firewall and virus scanner won't open either. So I'm left with a laptop, designed for university work, unable to actually open any applications.

Any suggestions? I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Oh my god, thank you!! It worked a treat :) I just went to the Folder Options > File Types settings and not only was EXE not there, when I went to add it, it automatically assigned 7zip to it. Too weird.

Once again, thanks! :D