What DSLR to buy?

What camera do you recommend?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tantawi

Hello,

I love photography and have been using many simple point and shoot digital cameras the past few years, thinking of going the next level (and may be professionally), I want to buy a DSLR. There are many available, so it's really a hard choice for me.

Thank you.

EDIT: Poll added.

Edited by Tantawi
Lt-DavidW

The Canon EOS 350D is a good choice. (Y)

But if you do decide to go a step higher, I'd miss out the Canon EOS 400D and consider the superior but similarly priced Nikon D80.

pmh

Go for the d40x. In almost every review I read, they liked this more then the d80 (Minus the lack of auto focus with some lens). The kit lens it comes with is pretty decent, but you will want to pick up some others too. I'm thinking that might not be a reality though for <$600...

I'll let you know in a few days when mine arrives (I just ordered the d40x) what i think about it.

tunafish

get the Nikon D80 its FAR better than the D40

pmh

Tuna, I'm thinking you're not totally sure what's going on here.

We were specifically talking about the d40x which is nearly identical to the d80 (minus some autofocus) for about $200 less.

Spec Sheet

http://www.nikonkit.com/d200-vs-d80-vs-d40...gapixel-lineup/

Amateur Review

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=23032426

Pro Review

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40x.htm

The D80 is not "FAR better" by any stretch of the imagination.

Tantawi

Thanks guys, but the Nikon D80 is pretty expensive for my budget :( I started to lean to the Nikon D40X, I found it bundled with 18-55mm lens + 4GB memory card for $620

Tantawi

What about the Nikon D40? I found really cheaper than D40X, they have close to identical specs, and I'm not bothered by the 6 MPixel! do you think 8MP--->6MP will be noticeable decrease in quality? I wont use it for print, just for web/archiving.

b20a61u31

the camera body itself doesn't count too much for cameras <600$ as far as I have experimented. The lens makes a huge difference. I recommend buying a D80 kit because it has a good robust lens. If you just want to buy the body go for whatever you feel more comfortable with.

giga

The D40x and D80 are in two different classes. D40x > D80 is laughable. Better viewfinder, better grip, internal AF (more lens compatibility), WB/Exposure Bracketing, DOF preview, status LCD, etc.

That said, the OP said his budget was $620 so there's no point in throwing out more expensive bodies.

My suggestion would be the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D50.

As for lens, what type of shooting will you be doing?

Tantawi
The D40x and D80 are in two different classes. D40x > D80 is laughable. Better viewfinder, better grip, internal AF (more lens compatibility), WB/Exposure Bracketing, DOF preview, status LCD, etc.

That said, the OP said his budget was $620 so there's no point in throwing out more expensive bodies.

My suggestion would be the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D50.

As for lens, what type of shooting will you be doing?

I'll do anything from landscape shots to macro shots (so I think 18-55mm lens is necessary?)

If price/bundle is out of equation, how you'll rank these cameras in buying order?

Nikon D40 - Nikon D50 - Canon Rebel XT.

I think I'll pick one of the three since so far they are the only ones fitting my my budget, the D40X with shipping is expensive (I didn't check local dealers yet, but I assume online it'll be cheaper)

Also,

do you think 8MP--->6MP will be noticeable decrease in quality? I wont use it for print, just for web/archiving.
?

Thank you.

richardsim7

Get the D40, fantastically priced and a overall a great camera :)

-Rich-

giga
I'll do anything from landscape shots to macro shots (so I think 18-55mm lens is necessary?)

If price/bundle is out of equation, how you'll rank these cameras in buying order?

Nikon D40 - Nikon D50 - Canon Rebel XT.

I think I'll pick one of the three since so far they are the only ones fitting my my budget, the D40X with shipping is expensive (I didn't check local dealers yet, but I assume online it'll be cheaper)

Also, ?

Thank you.

Lens are my #1 factor for me so I would rate the D50 and Rebel XT over the D40. You'll be missing many of Nikon's older series of lens which still produce great shots. (and will save you a lot of money) (Nikon 50mm 1.8) That internal AF motor is a biggie.

The Rebel XT body you can find for $400 online. Not sure if you can still find the D50 though.

Oh and 6mp/10mp shouldnt be a worry. More pixels does help for cropping, but I wouldn't worry about it as 6mp will do just fine.

tunafish

Well its a case of will i be wanting to upgarde in a years time which is why i said the D80.......... If thats the case then save up for a more expensive body as it will help better you, else see if you can get a bundle deal or something on maybe a D50 or D40. As there are some features D40 dont have that the D50 does have etc. I use a D50 and am looking to upgrade to D80 real soon. I would see if your local store do a bundle deal.

With that in mind remember its also lenses that matter as well.

Also goatbutt you will find the D80 has far more features than the D40X

Wireless flash being another one, better lasting battery with battery grip support that giga missed so I'm thinking you're not totally sure what's going on here goatbutt.

danbrew

without question, the D80 is head and shoulders above the D40 series - the "minus" some autofocus capabilities are huge, imho. Granted, the OP probably doesn't have a bunch of older lenses lying around, but this is a pretty serious shortfall... there are other shortfalls as well that a good review will highlight.

Quite frankly there isn't a big enough difference between the 40x and the 40 in my mind. the OP could save a few hundred and get the D40 (or the D40 kit with lens).

crazzy88ss

I got a D50 in April of this year for about $425. It serves me well. I don't have to worry about issues with which lenses I can use because of the AF motor, like you would w/ the D40/x

Tantawi

Thanks for replies guys.

It seems I wont be getting anywhere near the $600-650 mark if I ordered from abroad, let alone customs.

Searching locally, I found a slightly used Olympus E-330 + 2 Zuiko Digital Lenses (14-45mm & 40-150mm) +512MB compact flash memory for $678, is it a good deal? I also found Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (400D) + 18-55 mm Lens for $825, worth the extra? :s

metro

The 400D is a nice camera. If you are wanting to upgrade from a point and shoot, there is no reason to consider a D40 or D40x. It's pretty much a point and shoot with the ability to change out lenses, but you have to use only Nikon DX lenses for auto focus.

The Canon Rebel XT is still a nice camera and the kit lens is also decent. It's cheaper too but with 2MP less. The kit lens on any camera is not going to allow you to do macro shots. Most of them have a minimum focusing distance of a few feet and the zoom on them isn't enough to get a lot of extra detail that you see in macro shots where an actual macro lens is used.

If you want to step it up, be prepared to pay for it. You have to pay to play once you get into the DSLR scene if you want good quality. I am still trying to figure out how I will come up with the $5,500 I need for the 3 lenses I want.

deactivated01032015

What do you all think about the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 vs. Canon EOS 400D?

Tantawi

Based on my research the past couple of days, the 400D is better :)

I found Canon Rebel XT (350D) with Canon 18-55mm lens for $580 shipped from B&H Photo Video, and I think this is the best I can get with my budget.

Thanks guys for all reocmmendations!

metro

If I am correct, the Sony camera has the same sensor in the Nikon D80. Sony is responsible for the majority of the Nikon sensors in their DSLRs, but I am not 100% sure about the D3. So, in terms of features and ergonomics I would place the D80 above the 400D only because I have held both in my hands and preferred the D80. I am also biased as I shoot with a Nikon D70s and am used to the feel of the camera, however I tried a few different Canon and Nikon cameras before I settled on mine. The only Canon camera that fit my hands well enough to feel natural was the 5D which was out of my price range even though I wanted it badly.

Draconian Guppy

Dunno if it's too late, but may I suggest autorized ebay sellers for the brands you listed? They offer the same warranty, nice bundles, no grey market and nikon authorized warranty. I got my D50 a couple of years ago of "Cameta Camera" for $690 with kit lens and 70-300 tamron 4.5-5.6, extra battery + 2GB. Perhaps not the best lens, but it fit my needs :)

Tantawi

^ not late at all :D I didn't buy yet, choices choices...

On B&H photo, they have a great deal on Olympus Evolt E-510, and I'm seriously considering it.

Draconian Guppy

From Ebay

Theres probably cheaper... Just be sure if you do go the ebay-way, buy only from %99 postive feedback and include the original warranty for your country ( i'm guessing US ? ).

Have you considered pentax? along the lines of K100D or k110D ? these perform a lot better than the D50 and not quite sure about the Rebel XT

edit: + with pentax you have a variety of a wide variety of lenses + cheap! Since pentaxs mount works with lenses to back to 1980 ( well not quite sure... but they do go way back :p )

darkz

don't buy olympus cause it's cheaper.

get 350d, or better 400d

i have 350d, but i have used the olympus analogue aswell -- don't remember the exact model, but it came with two lenses (costed the same as 350d kit) and it's the same category as 350d. the guy who bought olympus still regrets he didn't took canon :]

giga

I'd pass on the Pentax due to their small buffer and low continuous shots. The K100D only does 3 RAWs/4 JPGs continuous. =/