What DSLR to buy?

What camera do you recommend?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tantawi

Ordered the Olympus E-510 2-lenses kit from Adorama, it's out of stock now but hopefully it'll ship soon! Wait my n00b review in the members' reviews forum ;)

Pink Floyd

Just one thing, the camera doesn't make the photographer!

Spending more time argumenting which x > y > z always made me laugh.

Go outside and shoot ;)

Draconian Guppy
Just one thing, the camera doesn't make the photographer!

Of course the camera doesn't, we all know the lense does the magic :p :shifty: j/k

WB pink floyd, haven't seen you around in a while!

rounds

My parents ordered the Canon Rebel XT for me for Christmas yesterday, hopefully it serves me well.

saxondale.
My parents ordered the Canon Rebel XT for me for Christmas yesterday, hopefully it serves me well.

Very nice camera to start out with. You will love it :)

Frantix
Thanks guys, but the Nikon D80 is pretty expensive for my budget :( I started to lean to the Nikon D40X, I found it bundled with 18-55mm lens + 4GB memory card for $620

If you are just starting out but are serious about it then the best advice i have heard and can give is that you should go for the most expensive thing you can afford. the D40x is a brilliant camera and the 18-55 mm lens is supposed to be excellent as well, it is rated above the 18-70 and the 18-135.

the only concern you may have is that 6-12 months down the line you will probably want the likes of a D200+ with an 18-200mm VR Lens. it really all boils down to budget.

as i say if you are starting out though, the D40x is good camera, and the lens is superb, but if you can afford it get the D80.

Edit:

Jumped on this topic a little late :(

Tantawi
Jumped on this topic a little late :(

Guess not :yes: 2 days ago I canceled my order with Adorama since the E-510 is still out of stock and price already dropped $30, so why the hurry! :) Thanks for your suggestion, I'll certainly put it into consideration.

Edit: wow, on stock now :D

Edited by Tantawi

Tantawi

Just an update, today I re-ordered the Olympus Evolt E-510 kit with 14-42mm and 40-150mm Lens from Adorama, it's packed and should be shipped tomorrow by UPS (Y).

Thanks so much guys for your help and advices throughout this thread, it really helped me deciding my purchase.

• 4 weeks later...
crazzyyfool

How is the new camera?

churchonsundays

kinda funny how one person voted for that kit you just ordered.

the canon would of been better in my opinion. but then again its not the camera its the photographer ;)

Tantawi
How is the new camera?

The camera is great! You can check some of shots I took with it here: http://tantawi.deviantart.com/gallery/#Photography

kinda funny how one person voted for that kit you just ordered.

the canon would of been better in my opinion. but then again its not the camera its the photographer wink.gif

It's funny yes, but I can't be any happier with my decision! The Olympus is features packed in body and the kit lenses are the best quality a kit lens can get (judging from many reviews), and it fits my needs and budget, the important of this thread and voting is that I listened and studied all recommendations and advices and eventually purchased the one that exactly fitted me :)

I totally agree that the photographer (and some times, post processing), can make world difference in the final output, I saw many photos taken with a 5mp mobile phone that I wish some day I can capture similar ones using my DSLR, heh :) too much to learn/try...

Thanks again for all replies, you're the best!