Wii Stock Flying Off Shelves

I could agree with the artificial shortage if the Wii weren't pulling such huge numbers. Look at how they are past XBOX 360 in sales now, I really don't think an artificial shortage has anything to do with it. They were clearly not expecting this kind of sustained demand. I mean, why would they? They know that they are lacking in games... Either way good on Nintendo.

This is the most common sense post in this thread as of this moment. Its planned, Nintendo know what they are doing, why is everyone defending Nintendo left right and center? If you are going to argue against me and VRam about we have no proof regarding this, neither does anyone have any proof saying they are not holding them back.

We're defending the notion of them NOT being stupid enough to LOSE money making Wiis (which they make a profit on) and then holding them back (which then costs them money every day they sit in a warehouse unsold). This is Retail 101. It would be sheer inanity to do what you're suggesting, so we are trying to help you understand this.

You've applauded the previous post as the one with the most common sense. You are severely mistaken. Even if Nintendo was doing what you suggest, it would be the wrong move for the reasons I listed above. It would cut into their profits. They don't even come close to needing to hold back stock. They surpassed 360 sales before the Wii was a year on the market; why stop there?

On a more optimistic note, Wii stocks north of the border aren't too bad. :) In fact, I'm kind of surprised you're having trouble getting them. I'd've figured USA to be higher priority as a market than Canadians...no offense meant to anyone.

Its a calculated risk for them to create a false shortage. Sometimes you benefit and sometimes it bites you in the rear. I outlined the purpose in my OP so I won't explain further. For you young bucks, Peter Main which used to handle marketing at Nintendo, came up with the tatic called "inventory management". They used it extensively throughout the 90's. It builds name recognition, demand and can increase the bottom line when used properly. All it does is **** me off though.

This is the most common sense post in this thread as of this moment. Its planned, Nintendo know what they are doing, why is everyone defending Nintendo left right and center? If you are going to argue against me and VRam about we have no proof regarding this, neither does anyone have any proof saying they are not holding them back.
Its a calculated risk for them to create a false shortage. Sometimes you benefit and sometimes it bites you in the rear. I outlined the purpose in my OP so I won't explain further. For you young bucks, Peter Main which used to handle marketing at Nintendo, came up with the tatic called "inventory management". They used it extensively throughout the 90's. It builds name recognition, demand and can increase the bottom line when used properly. All it does is **** me off though.

Sir, this young buck asks your permission to speak...

You still dont seem to understand that no one disagrees with you about Nintendos tactics in the past, BUT in this instance, it makes absolutely no sense. Think about it. The demand is there. So why the need to create the demand? I think the problem is the sustained demand...I think this was not what they were expecting.

But think about it logically. You have a warehouse of stuff, all GUARANTEED to sell the minute you ship it. Why would you hold it back?

On the demand note...Here in South Africa, our ****** retailers have decided to screw us over once again. The Wii retails here for around R3000 ~ $ 420. This is just ridiculous, and one of the main reasons I dont have a Wii right now. They are just sitting on the shelves here. The point of the Wii was the low cost, but when you price it close to the 360 and the PS3, it makes little sense to get a Wii.

I am probably going to get the Wii from ebay or some other online store. :cool:

I need to study to read English, because you don't know how to properly communicate an opinion without making a broad, sweeping statement?

Yeah, ok...

Oh, wait, sorry...forgot what forum I was posting in. This is the norm. Carry on.

I guess God deprived you of common sense then.

We're defending the notion of them NOT being stupid enough to LOSE money making Wiis (which they make a profit on) and then holding them back (which then costs them money every day they sit in a warehouse unsold). This is Retail 101. It would be sheer inanity to do what you're suggesting, so we are trying to help you understand this.

You've applauded the previous post as the one with the most common sense. You are severely mistaken. Even if Nintendo was doing what you suggest, it would be the wrong move for the reasons I listed above. It would cut into their profits. They don't even come close to needing to hold back stock. They surpassed 360 sales before the Wii was a year on the market; why stop there?

Im sorry joel. The fact is no one knows for sure if they are holding them back or not, but it tells you something if they cannot keep up with demand on a second christmas but how can they with limited numbers to each store. I never said how they were doing it but they have a past history so its logical to assume they would use it again. They are making them in a very small warehouse so how can they have so many Wiis waiting to be ready to ship when the time comes when they are not made yet? They are just not making them fast enough (which is what they want and are happy with), and Nintendo had time and money to fix this problem by producing them in another warehouse but they didn't, why? because they are happy with whats happening. They aren't losing money on each machine, they are gaining so they really don't need to have them selling millions each month. Nintendo on day one made the hype, started the shortage and have continued to do so ever since. I like i said its amazing it has managed to sell this well with hardly any great games.

Sir, this young buck asks your permission to speak...

You still dont seem to understand that no one disagrees with you about Nintendos tactics in the past, BUT in this instance, it makes absolutely no sense. Think about it. The demand is there. So why the need to create the demand? I think the problem is the sustained demand...I think this was not what they were expecting.

But think about it logically. You have a warehouse of stuff, all GUARANTEED to sell the minute you ship it. Why would you hold it back?

On the demand note...Here in South Africa, our ****** retailers have decided to screw us over once again. The Wii retails here for around R3000 ~ $ 420. This is just ridiculous, and one of the main reasons I dont have a Wii right now. They are just sitting on the shelves here. The point of the Wii was the low cost, but when you price it close to the 360 and the PS3, it makes little sense to get a Wii.

I am probably going to get the Wii from ebay or some other online store. :cool:

I know, but If Nintendo used the tactic before they will damn use it again hence what we are seeing here. Does anyone who actually buys a Wii really really really really really want one? Or is it because of the hype and they must have one.

I never said how they were doing it but they have a past history so its logical to assume they would use it again.

People can assume that 360 still RROD even after the hardware/heatsink revision.

Does anyone who actually buys a Wii really really really really really want one? Or is it because of the hype and they must have one.

They just want them unfortunately. I'm sorry you are bitter because it's outselling the 360. But it's great, simple fun.

People can assume that 360 still RROD even after the hardware/heatsink revision.

Excuse me, have i defended Microsoft on the RROD? I had a machine myself died under the RROD and it was not under warranty so i had to buy another 360. The hardware design is improved but still doesnt rule out a possibly of RROD on these new models.

They just want them unfortunately. I'm sorry you are bitter because it's outselling the 360. But it's great, simple fun.

They want them because that are 1) hard to get hold of and 2) hyped up. Nintendo are milking this and are you all so blind not to see it. They havent done a THING to fix the shortage and its unlikely they will knowing that this tactic they are playing is working in favour for them. I am bitter because Nintendo is cheating people. Maybe you should open your eyes more unless you are in love with Nintendo so much that no matter what they do, seems to be the right desicion. They made their money for the year so why should they do anymore since pleasing people is obviously much further down the importance list for them.

They want them because that are 1) hard to get hold of and 2) hyped up. Nintendo are milking this and are you all so blind not to see it. They havent done a THING to fix the shortage and its unlikely they will knowing that this tactic they are playing is working in favour for them. I am bitter because Nintendo is cheating people. Maybe you should open your eyes more unless you are in love with Nintendo so much that no matter what they do, seems to be the right desicion. They made their money for the year so why should they do anymore since pleasing people is obviously much further down the importance list for them.

Ok, this just proves you have a chip on your shoulder. Maybe you couldnt find the princess in castle after castle of Super Mario Bros, I dont know...

The fact is, that Nintendo is the LAST company to be cheating people off. Did they include a blue ray player and expect the people to buy their overpriced console? Did they ship out a console with problems, on the hope they wouldnt RROD?

The way I see it, is that Nintendo offered a cheap alternative to gamers. This is a good thing!!! Maybe you are so used to getting shafted by Sony and Microsoft, you see an attempt by a company to actually cater to its consumers as exception, not the norm.

And no, we are not in love with nintendo...This is the truth. You cant find anything wrong with the Wii, so you knock its (virtually non-existent) game library, and make up conspiracy theories about the shortages. I cant take you seriously anymore...

Ok, this just proves you have a chip on your shoulder. Maybe you couldnt find the princess in castle after castle of Super Mario Bros, I dont know...

The fact is, that Nintendo is the LAST company to be cheating people off. Did they include a blue ray player and expect the people to buy their overpriced console? Did they ship out a console with problems, on the hope they wouldnt RROD?

The way I see it, is that Nintendo offered a cheap alternative to gamers. This is a good thing!!! Maybe you are so used to getting shafted by Sony and Microsoft, you see an attempt by a company to actually cater to its consumers as exception, not the norm.

non-existent) game library, and make up conspiracy theories about the shortages. I cant take you seriously anymore...

WTF! The Nintendo Wii is hardly a cheap alternative, its got ancient hardware inside with some motion sensoring crap bolted on top of it. Nintendo's having trouble with supply and demand for that? i don't think so. I am not talking about Sony or Microsoft so i don't know why you are bring them into this argument for. You can say the Wii is overpriced which it is.

And no, we are not in love with nintendo...This is the truth. You cant find anything wrong with the Wii, so you knock its (virtually non-existent) game library, and make up conspiracy theories about the shortages. I cant take you seriously anymore...

You could of fooled me.

Wtf? I had NO problem picking up a copy when it came out. Even my friends got their hands on it with no problem.

God bless ya because I had a hellava time getting it and so did a lot of others. I remember going to Kaybee toys and sitting in a crowd of people waiting for them to open the shipment boxes hoping they would get a few copies. That game was nowhere for a good while.

Lets just drop this discussion since anything we come up with here is pure speculation without proof. All I am saying is that Nintendo has been known (and documented) to have withheld inventory as a marketing tactic in the past, even if sufficient demand existed and its just seems convenient that things are going down like this the second Christmas into the system's lifecycle.

WTF! The Nintendo Wii is hardly a cheap alternative, its got ancient hardware inside with some motion sensoring crap bolted on top of it. Nintendo's having trouble with supply and demand for that? i don't think so. I am not talking about Sony or Microsoft so i don't know why you are bring them into this argument for. You can say the Wii is overpriced which it is.

You could of fooled me.

Lol, it is a cheap alternative. It does have ancient hardware and crappy graphics! I am in no way stating that the Wii is God's gift to the gaming world. I am just countering your totally biased one sided view of the Wii, and Nintendo in general.

God bless ya because I had a hellava time getting it and so did a lot of others. I remember going to Kaybee toys and sitting in a crowd of people waiting for them to open the shipment boxes hoping they would get a few copies. That game was nowhere for a good while.

Lets just drop this discussion since anything we come up with here is pure speculation without proof. All I am saying is that Nintendo has been known (and documented) to have withheld inventory as a marketing tactic in the past, even if sufficient demand existed and its just seems convenient that things are going down like this the second Christmas into the system's lifecycle.

I agree, it is all speculation. I do also agree that they did do it in the past, but logically I dont see why they would. Anyway, I am done with this discussion...