• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Gamecube DVD Player Customization

Skankzor    0

Hai Neowin.

After not playing gamecube since halo2 came out, i must of lost/borrowed out a few of my gamecube games.

I still have the original cases, just not the discs as they were in a miniDVD wallet. I went to my local ebgames, target,myer (all the major video game outlets) looking to replace my Smash Brothers, apparently they dont order and supply gamecube games anymore. I went to dicksmiths as a last resort and one of the workers there said he connected his dvd player to his gamecube and he plays his backups through that using standard dvd discs. I don't plan on getting a chip to get backup games i just heard you can connect DVD drives or DVD Players to the gamecube to play backup games.

After spending a good 2-3 hours searching, i have found nothing.

Any Neobrothers know what im talking about?

Thanks in advance

Skankzor    0

bump

+Code Name: Lockdown    9,281

Never heard ANYTHING about using an external DVD player. I mean, what connector do you think he'd be using? My DVD players only have graphical and audio outputs - not suitable for streaming the data a console would be looking to receive. And they are solely one way.

Now MY gamecube was never modded, but I think you are being wound up mate!

+forster    243

You can run backups fine on a Gamecube, I believe, using a top-case mod (so you can run normal DVDs - you basically just replace the flip top) and I think either a memory card exploit, or via a network, or through a few little apps on a DVD/Freeloader.

Ill try and dig you up some links, my friend modded his, but we have two in the house and Ive always wanted to get into it.

Gimme a few mins.

Kraftman    1

forster: I have an old GameCube I never play, so "bricking" it wouldn't be too much of a loss ($100 for a brand new one anyways)

Would you mind PMing me when you find out some info?

spenser.d    1,100

I think all you have to do is duct tape a DVD Player to the top of your Gamecube... :p

-Spenser

+forster    243

Links - NGC section at http://forums.maxconsole.net/ is very helpful

This link:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/archive/i...php/t-5074.html

... is pretty much what I remember, Phatasy Star + Broadband adapter + case mod = homebrew on GC

Here too:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/gamecube-cha...via-pso-97.html

If you run a google for 'gamecube homebrew' you usually hit a few forums that can help, Im running short of time or else Id get you some more info, but its certainly doable.

An external DVD drive tho, never heard of it.

forster: I have an old GameCube I never play, so "bricking" it wouldn't be too much of a loss ($100 for a brand new one anyways)

Would you mind PMing me when you find out some info?

Nah, you wouldnt brick it, unless you wanted to chip it. Whilst I dont condone (hah, yeah right) people running backups (its against the rules mmkay) I think people should be free to run homebrew on their own kit.

See the links above, sorry I cant be more help.

Eric    1,605
Hai Neowin.

After not playing gamecube since halo2 came out, i must of lost/borrowed out a few of my gamecube games.

I still have the original cases, just not the discs as they were in a miniDVD wallet. I went to my local ebgames, target,myer (all the major video game outlets) looking to replace my Smash Brothers, apparently they dont order and supply gamecube games anymore. I went to dicksmiths as a last resort and one of the workers there said he connected his dvd player to his gamecube and he plays his backups through that using standard dvd discs. I don't plan on getting a chip to get backup games i just heard you can connect DVD drives or DVD Players to the gamecube to play backup games.

After spending a good 2-3 hours searching, i have found nothing.

Any Neobrothers know what im talking about?

Thanks in advance

That guy was pulling your chain. :) You can't even swap the drives in different model 'Cubes around let alone connect an external DVD player to it. :)