Nielsen VideoScan numbers for the week ending November 18th

Just when we started to expect the Nielsen VideoScan numbers courtesy of Home Media Magazine on Fridays, they mix it up and release 'em on Monday -- we'd bet the holiday is to blame. The other curve ball this week, is the lack of a top ten list -- which we also hope is also due to a holiday and not a permanent deal. The lack of a list makes this a hard post, when only faced with the market share numbers. What we can tell is that Blu-ray titles were a little more popular this week than last, leading HD DVD by 66/34 (1.94:1) compared to last week's 65/35. We can also safely assume that Shrek, and the recent influx of HD DVD players, wasn't enough to make a dent in Blu-ray's new releases and recent price cuts. We suspect that HD DVD won't fare as well next week either, with Blu-ray's hot Die Hard franchise hitting the shelves while HD DVD really only had a very expensive Star Trek box set.

Source :EngadgetHD

Edited by stevan

I'm pretty sure they do, if they didn't, it would say something in the article...

Wrong again. Walmart doesn't publish their sales and thus no independent source includes them. It's pretty common knowledge.

-Spenser

Wrong again. Walmart doesn't publish their sales and thus no independent source includes them. It's pretty common knowledge.

-Spenser

I'd like a source for that. Why would Walmart not disclose that kind of information?

Source or it's just urban legend.

^ I've been wondering about that since our regular HD-DVD folks here posted that. I googled it and the most I found was an article where it mentioned it in Engadget only.

:iiam:

I'd like a source for that. Why would Walmart not disclose that kind of information?

Source or it's just urban legend.

Funny thing is, nobody came back to post source of this urban legend....

I think it has to be an urban legend. When Walmart, one of the nations largest employers and largest retailers of entertainment goods actively censors "unfamily like" music, magazines and texts out of their selection material, there has to be data being published about their sales. If not, the music industry wouldn't be concerned with cleaning up certain materials for a retailer that maybe accounts for 10-13% of their total income?

[uPDATE]

In 2001 Walmart no longer provided its sales data to independent sources. Video Business, a subsidiary of Variety, stated that Wal-Mart was responsible for 20% of all VHS sales noting that DVD was still getting started.

(source)

I believe it is safe to assume that whatever medium they are pushing will be the one that wins. If my local Target and Best Buy Stores are any indication, then it very well could be Blu-Ray. Lets face it folks, being responsible for 20% alone of market share is very impressive with other retailers and chains making up the other 80% collectively even if it was VHS. I'm kinda interested to know how the cards are stacked now. Thanks Wally World.

Edited by GOJI_GKing2000

Thank you.

I couldn't find a source. I believe it stems from when the NPD Group releases retail sales numbers for products (eg. Videogame Consoles). I think they may state in their reports that Walmart doesn't release numbers, but the general public (i.e. myself doing a search) can't get ahold of the reports, as they cost money.

-Spenser

I'd be willing to bet sales percentages would stay the same across the board, even with Wal-Mart included in the charts. It always seems like different stores carry more Blu-ray or more HD-DVD. The ones around me always have atleast a 60/40 (or higher) "shelf size" favoring Blu-ray over HD-DVD. I know it doesn't mean much, but just a point.

The ones around me always have atleast a 60/40 (or higher) "shelf size" favoring Blu-ray over HD-DVD. I know it doesn't mean much, but just a point.

Percentages could be different. The greater the presence, the more likely it might garner support which translates of course into overall sales. In my area, many CE sections of/and stores have either a few rows or a small island for HD-DVD but 3x the amount for Blu-Ray. Times that by a billion and thats the floorspace still reserved for DVD.

Percentages could be different. The greater the presence, the more likely it might garner support which translates of course into overall sales. In my area, many CE sections of/and stores have either a few rows or a small island for HD-DVD but 3x the amount for Blu-Ray. Times that by a billion and thats the floorspace still reserved for DVD.

Yea... thats where HD-DVD is lacking... shelf space... at my local best buy the movie selection is actually pretty close between the 2... however... they have HD-DVD crammed into two columns with 4 or 5 rows... yet BR has about 8 columns with 4 or 5 rows.... i dont know if Sony pays BB for the space but if thats the case... HD needs to start shelling out so advertising space...

snip

i dont know if Sony pays BB for the space but if thats the case... HD needs to start shelling out so advertising space...

But where would they get the money? Theyre already spent on 199$ HD-DVD players with 5+ movies :laugh:

-Spenser

However, Nielsen does account for Wal-Mart's market share when reporting numbers.

And if HD-DVD is counting on Wal-mart's numbers for a huge boost, when I get a chance I'll upload the pic I took on my phone of the hi-def section at my local Wal-mart. It bears the Blu-Ray logo (no HD-DVD logo) along with "High Definition Movies", and gives about 2/3 of the shelf-space to Blu-Ray, with the other 1/3 HD-DVD. It is the only HD movie section in the store (no seperate HD-DVD only section).