Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found

A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along with a relevant Xorg driver.

Source: http://n4g.com/dev/News-88936.aspx

I've heard a lot of people say that's what has crippled Linux on the PS3. If this develops im sure it will be really useful ;)

Especially if it means we can play .mkv files through Linux :drool: :woot:

Couple of comments i've seen

This means that not only will we be able to run 2D-based emulators on the PS3 (IE: NES, SNES, GENESIS), we'll be able to run 3D-based emulators like N64. Although the games out for PS3 are already fun and addicting enough to the point where PS3 users wouldn't have to resort to this like they would have a year ago, it's still a nice feature to have. Couldn't hurt!
PC is x86, PS3/Linux is PPC. Emulators, ok. But chances to run WoW on it is infinitely small and will run at 30fpm

I don't think they will be able to use the RSX to more than 2D OpenGL operations. 3D is not in question. I think he's a bit too optimistic, or he's a dev for nVidia. My guestimates

[edit] I have read some more, and they definitely come VERY far with it. I wonder if compiz will be doable in some time. Would be cool. Oh well, my hopes are warming up.

Now that would be sweet to through every game made in previous generations on your PS3 hard drive :shiftyninja:

Also with KB/M support I dunno why Sony didn't just allow Linux games to be run on the PS3 from the get go! Would of been nice.

If this develops though, im sure Sony will fight back.

Damit, girlfriend listen to me: The Wii controls WERE funny and new, but I gonna sell that brick and buy a PS3 now, ok? *slap* Ok, maybe tomorrow...

Sidenote: the PS3 is starting to get more and more interesting...

I already can play NES and SNES games on my PS3 under linux. I had to get both emulators running as 2 threads to make the games run good.

But yes access to RSX in Linux is huge! Many more emulators could be done. Some good work on porting PCSX2 to PPC and optimizing it for PS3 could be the way those 40GB PS3s will run PS2 games :p.

I already can play NES and SNES games on my PS3 under linux. I had to get both emulators running as 2 threads to make the games run good.

But yes access to RSX in Linux is huge! Many more emulators could be done. Some good work on porting PCSX2 to PPC and optimizing it for PS3 could be the way those 40GB PS3s will run PS2 games :p.

That would be absolutely hilarious... but I doubt we'll ever see that ;)

More likely for Sony to offer fully based software-emulation.

If they get hidef content working on linux without stuttering then I dont really care if sony implements it in the xmb :p

They would never implement .mkv support :p

Divx is suprising enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did see that. 20GB, 60GB and 80GB owners could play backups this way.

If I had a bit more programming skill then I do currently I would be all over this... Maybe I should have some fun with some older emulator and see what I can do with them on the PS3. A Cell/RSX optimized NES emulator sounds like a little much but it would be a fun project.

Source: http://n4g.com/dev/News-88936.aspx

I've heard a lot of people say that's what has crippled Linux on the PS3. If this develops im sure it will be really useful ;)

Especially if it means we can play .mkv files through Linux :drool: :woot:

I have never done anything with .mkv but isn't it just a container? I'm already able to play any video file I throw at VLC in Ubuntu on my PS3. It's how I played DivX/Xvid files on my TV before PS3 got streaming support. 720x480 video resolution played fine, anything above that was choppy. Access to the RSX would greatly improve the performance, but I think you can already play .mkv's

Edited by cloudstrife13

I wouldn't be surprised if we did see that. 20GB, 60GB and 80GB owners could play backups this way.

If I had a bit more programming skill then I do currently I would be all over this... Maybe I should have some fun with some older emulator and see what I can do with them on the PS3. A Cell/RSX optimized NES emulator sounds like a little much but it would be a fun project.

I have never done anything with .mkv but isn't it just a container? I'm already able to play any video file I throw at VLC in Ubuntu on my PS3. It's how I played DivX/Xvid files on my TV before PS3 got streaming support. 720x480 video resolution played fine, anything above that was choppy. Access to the RSX would greatly improve the performance, but I think you can already play .mkv's

Yes, you can play MKV's if you use VLC on Linux, but the real challenge is playing those 1080p MKV's without slowdown :D

Yes, you can play MKV's if you use VLC on Linux, but the real challenge is playing those 1080p MKV's without slowdown :D

Great! (Y)

Really all we need then is for this driver/patch to go through and then surely VLC will run better under Linux on the PS3.

Best.day.ever if that happens ;)

i would like to see sony get together with ubuntu people or someone and make it so you can read files from both partitions,

example: In the playstation firmware play videos MP3's etc from a linux partition

I dunno, if people truly have accessed RSX, it's only a matter of time. Besides, it will force Sony to play their PS2/1 Emulation card. Remember that PSX Emulator for the PSP? Sony rather suddenly offered an "official alternative".

Ah man, I wonder if we'll ever get N64 emulators running on the PS3? The best thing is, it'd probably be built up from scratch instead of some ported crap which has been made to fit within the architecture. I'll say by Xmas '08 we'll have some sort of PS1/N64 emulation, maybe even PS2/GC emulation.