Windows Only on MacBook Pro?

Can I do a Windows Only Install on MacBook Pro?! It came with 10.5 Im not going to ever use Mac OS, im a DJ, i use Rane Scratch i know i know its got better mac support, but Acid and what not is XP/Vista, id much rather have XP on this. Can i just format the entire volume to NTFS? please guys i dont need criticism. i really want XP only.

Wow now that's an interesting question. I honestly can't see why it would be illegal or wouldn't work, except for possible driver issues (doubtful as well) but wait until some Mac users can give you a more indepth perspective.

You should be able to just format the whole drive and put Windows on just like any other laptop, although you may want to use bootcamp and keep a small OS X partition around just in case you want to install firmware/battery updates sometime in the future.

Can I do a Windows Only Install on MacBook Pro?! It came with 10.5 Im not going to ever use Mac OS, im a DJ, i use Rane Scratch i know i know its got better mac support, but Acid and what not is XP/Vista, id much rather have XP on this. Can i just format the entire volume to NTFS? please guys i dont need criticism. i really want XP only.

Just boot off CD, reformat and install. Done.

Edited by betasp

heres the deal. it has a little 200 meg partition from leopard thats automatically created when u zero the drive. so now im formatting the remaining 114 gb with NTFS. i really hope this works, these laptops are built to perfection, with the power and stability of this platform combined with Windows XP Pro. Its definatelly the greatest match made for my DJ Software and my IT Job at Chrysler. honestly i love mac os, its great, its smooth but if i have absolutely no use or applications for it. then i wouldnt really want to keep it on their i need the space for the 256Kbps Mp3's

The Mac uses UEFI... Windows XP doesn't understand EFI / UEFI you need a "boot loader" for EFI or a compatability module for it then you can ditch OSX completely

Just boot off CD, reformat and install. Done.

You can't just boot off the CD if it doesn't understand the EFI loading system... the first OS to support this at the consumer level will apparently be Vista SP1 (haven't tried it and its unconfirmed by my knowladge that it is actually in SP1, might be held for sp2? i forget)

I DJ too, but I stuck with OS X. I had to re-learn how to do it in OS X since I used PCDJ for the most part. Now I'm moving over to Traktor, and adding the scratch ability. I think it's a great combo. I had to upgrade my sound card, which was over due anyway.

Honestly, I prefer DJing in OS X now, more. I think it's much more intuitive, and easier to troubleshoot. Not to mention stability. Although XP has improved a LOT since it's release, I still think OS X is slightly more stable.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? What kind of equipment do you use?

Right now I just do mobile DJing. I'm starting to get into club-style DJing, but no club gigs yet. I enjoy making mash-ups on the fly, though. I'm going to go with a firewire 410 sound card, I believe. That's going to my 4 channel mixer, so I can run Traktor through it, using all 4 players.

I got my stuff approved by a radio station, so its a pioneer mixer, rane serrato, rane scratch, pioneer turn tables and rane scratch discs.

i mean it looks like its working. because i formatted with the mac OS disc. and the XP installer is almost done with teh blue and yellow text part of the setup. So we will see how it goes.

so it restarted and it said its missing some DLL file and it needs to be replaced? what does that mean. i mean i know what it means but how is it missing a dll straight off the bat like that.

I have a few people that are interested in doing this with their iMacs as well. Does the EFI issue only present itself when booting off the HDD for the first time (i.e. it sounds like xtremev was able to boot off the CD without issue)?

Right now they just use a stub OS X install w/Boot Camp I believe.

see what i did was i zero filed the drive, installed OSX, then in Windows Setup deleted the OS Partition except for the 200 MB Protected Partition. Which apparently is what makes this device click lol

see what i did was i zero filed the drive, installed OSX, then in Windows Setup deleted the OS Partition except for the 200 MB Protected Partition. Which apparently is what makes this device click lol

You're going to need a EFI compatability module if you want to delete bootcamp and all that fun stuff... it just wont work without it been there done that...

That's like taking the engine out of a Ferrari and replacing it with a Kia!

EDIT: Umm... I forgot, sorry.

Edited by Cormier6083

A MacBook Pro is pretty expensive. If you are just going to use Windows, why not get a cheaper notebook with comparable specs?

You know what, reformat reinstall OSX but install in a 10GB partition. The rest allocate it to XP during the Boot camp setup.

Install XP from Bootcamp and then in XP install the bootcamp drivers that you burnt during the Bootcamp setup, and then go into control panel and set up windows to start first without having to hold CTRL.... then windows will always boot first.

thats at least how i did it when i had my macbook. xp would load automatically. and just keep os x for safe purposes. say one day your xp partition ****s up and you need to use the computer, boot right into os x.

and also, get macdrive so you can atleast see the os x partition in windows!

and damn! i wanna get the jeep srt8 to replace my ford explorer!!!

u know what guys this mac is brand new, two days old, i just reformatted the entire hard drive is what im going to do, bootcamp drivers come on the os x 10.5 cd. im not worried about bootcamp lol. this mac reads the cd's i just get the OS install crashes after the first of the Windows Setup.

OH MY F-ING GOD IT WORKED! OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOGMGOGM! AAAAAAAAAAAAH IT WORKED. I ERASED THE ENTIRE DRIVE! OMG im so excited pictures to come soon! HAHAHA SUCKAS LOL!