Windows Only on MacBook Pro?

no man, the software on that os 10.5 disc is weird, i installed its drivers on my Gateway it jacked up the way the system restarted and whatnot, apple hid something in these, that we are overlooking.

BootCamp from Apple has been discontinued. Good luck with updates.... :)

The beta of Boot Camp has been discontinued. Leopard includes Boot Camp 2 and the Leopard Install Disc has the Boot Camp drivers on it.

What he said lol! Oh my god do you guys understand what this means? Do you understand the apple firmware compensates for OS's lack there of? this is wicked... really really wicked. we started tonight not knowing if it can be done, now it can the drive needs to be wiped entirely... *shakes hands*

Well once Vista SP1 is released, you should be able to format the drive completely since the x64 version will support efi... at least it's suppose to :)

Really? That's good news.

The Mac uses UEFI... Windows XP doesn't understand EFI / UEFI you need a "boot loader" for EFI or a compatability module for it then you can ditch OSX completely

You can't just boot off the CD if it doesn't understand the EFI loading system... the first OS to support this at the consumer level will apparently be Vista SP1 (haven't tried it and its unconfirmed by my knowladge that it is actually in SP1, might be held for sp2? i forget)

since when? have you tired it??

Im pretty sure when i just had windows vista on my machine i didnt have a boot loader and i just booted from the cd and formatted and installed. I think your just talking crap to be honest!!

EDIT: PS:Also ive only had ubuntu installed before aswell and it worked fine

Edited by offroadaaron

Hm... But how about the Firmware updates? Because making Windows OS the main one, wiping Mac OS X completely (Is this legal? Wouldn't you loose the warranty?) how are you going to update your Firmware?.. Did Apple make some kind tool that would let it do from Windows?..

Hm... But how about the Firmware updates? Because making Windows OS the main one, wiping Mac OS X completely (Is this legal? Wouldn't you loose the warranty?) how are you going to update your Firmware?.. Did Apple make some kind tool that would let it do from Windows?..

Removing OSX and running windows is legal.

You won't loose the warranty, (at least so long as you can restore your osx if you should need to bring it in for service).

yeah no guys it has apple software upgrade so i think they took this into consideration that one day it would come to this.... lol

yeah no guys it has apple software upgrade so i think they took this into consideration that one day it would come to this.... lol

The firmware updates to the Macbook are not going to come through the Windows version of Apple Software Update. You will need OS X version of Apple Software Update. If you download the firmware updates from Apple.com they will be in the .pkg format and therefore wont be able to run in Windows.

The Mac uses UEFI... Windows XP doesn't understand EFI / UEFI you need a "boot loader" for EFI or a compatability module for it then you can ditch OSX completely

You can't just boot off the CD if it doesn't understand the EFI loading system... the first OS to support this at the consumer level will apparently be Vista SP1 (haven't tried it and its unconfirmed by my knowladge that it is actually in SP1, might be held for sp2? i forget)

You are right and wrong.

Windows XP does not support EFI like you said. However the EFI used by Apple includes a system to intercept BIOS calls by the installed OS and convert them in to EFI compatible calls run them and send the information back to the host as BIOS calls. With the first version of EFI Apple issued on machines it did not contain this BIOS compatibility layer. They updated the Firmeware to include this BIOS compatibility layer when they released Boot Camp (Which is just partition software) so that you could install Windows operating systems on the Computer.

I can't stress this enough Boot Camp is just partition software. It doesn't do anything but partition the hard disk ready for Windows. The EFI firmware which is installed on every Mac is what allows Windows to be run in any capacity. You can 100% format the Drives on Intel Macs and just install Windows.

Edited by Vice

i really don't see why you couldn't have spared a few gig to keep OS X on there just in case. i think i got my install down to 3gb or 3.6gb for leopard. i think it would be good to keep at least a minimal install on your system for firmware and so on. as if you can't spare that much space.

Well once Vista SP1 is released, you should be able to format the drive completely since the x64 version will support efi... at least it's suppose to :)

Windows Vista SP1 will support EFI, that's 32bit and 64bit.

People who run Windows on a Mac should be crucified. I laughed my arse off when I heard one of the patches bricked the Windows installs.

Sweet.

Interesting I'm about to do the same thing on a MacBook. I'm installing XP on a brand new 7200RPM drive.

I love my new MacBook but hate Leopard. If you compare the cost of 13" PORTABLE notebooks with 2.2 Ghz C2D, the MacBook costs less than Dell XPS or Sony Vaio. The Macbook is simply the best PORTABLE notebook I have ever owned. It is a pleasure to commute with. While it won't replace my overclocked quad core @ 3.4Ghz desktop system, the Macbook has more than enough power for my tools: Visual Studio, SQL Server, Office and Photoshop. The graphics (GMA X3100) card is strong enough for a 2nd monitor at 1680x1050. I have latest Macbook with Santa Rosa chip that can use 4GB of RAM. HINT: it's dead easy to install 2x2GB generic (non-apple) RAM for a LOT LESS $$$.

Anyway, I have genuinely tried to use Leopard the past couple of weeks with VMWare Fusion. The mouse acceleration is lame (even with mousefix). Overall Leopard relies too much on a mouse. The keyboard combinations are difficult to press and missing three important keys: Home, End and Delete (not backspace). 3D doc is cheesy looking and takes up a lot of room at 1280x800. Unfortunately the dock behaves as the taskbar too which I don't like to auto hide. Leopard is not multiple monitor friendly, the menu bar is always on one screen. I could go on... too many inefficiences in Leopard for me.

The design team for Leopard should be fired! What's up with the 1970's Star War effects? The wallpaper, time machine, dock. CHEESY

I can't stress this enough Boot Camp is just partition software. It doesn't do anything but partition the hard disk ready for Windows. The EFI firmware which is installed on every Mac is what allows Windows to be run in any capacity. You can 100% format the Drives on Intel Macs and just install Windows.

Thank you for clarfiying Boot Camp is just partition software. I had guessed this but if you read Apple literature they refer to Boot Camp drivers for XP/Vista which had me a little worried. Apple marketing at work. Updating my XpBook now ...

Edited by nextmario

well its working great. XP is like really damn fast on this notebook, with the bootcamp drivers that come on the Leopard CD, its absolutely wicked. I love my mac! lol i know its not really a mac anymore but damn this thing doesnt even flinch when i open Sony Vegas or Rane Scratch my Gateway E475 has a fan that would go off constantly and what not. lol Damn Straight this thing is made for perfection

You are right and wrong.

Windows XP does not support EFI like you said. However the EFI used by Apple includes a system to intercept BIOS calls by the installed OS and convert them in to EFI compatible calls run them and send the information back to the host as BIOS calls. With the first version of EFI Apple issued on machines it did not contain this BIOS compatibility layer. They updated the Firmeware to include this BIOS compatibility layer when they released Boot Camp (Which is just partition software) so that you could install Windows operating systems on the Computer.

100% Correct

I did that exact thing while I had an imac, I couldn't get on with OS X no matter how much I tried.

Si is great! lol one of the many winmac supporters LOL! i mean come on when the computer is made for ultimate performance, and you put a really smooth OS that has many applications and games and what not the macbook is also a really powerful gaming machine. i bet this one would rape an alienware area 51 lol, counterstrike source is hella fun lol

1. Boot off the OSX disc.

2. In setup load the disk utility and remove all partitions and create 1 new one as a Master Boot partition.

3. Format the partition as Free Space.

4. Turn off the Mac. Boot it again holding the Option key.

5. Eject the Mac OS X setup disc and put in the Windows setup disc.

6. Load Windows setup and install as normal..

There you go, a Mac PC with Windows only. This works with Vista and Windows XP

I took the easy way out. I wanted a backup, so I bought a brand new 160GB SATA drive. I Installed the hard drive. Then, I inserted my Windows XP SP2 CD install. Pressed C on boot up. Followed XP instructions. After XP was installed, I inserted the Apple DVD Disc 1 if I remember correctly and that auto installed all the drivers. You need to install the drivers before you get any type of network connection. So far so good. The only glitch during install was I had to manually configure the wireless network. XP detected the network but would not prompt for the WEP password. Also, don't forget to go into BootCamp control panel and enable the use of the function keys for brightness, etc. Painless install really.

One more glitch, eject the Apple DVD before rebooting after installing drivers. On reboot, if the DVD is still in there, the DVD will start installation of Leopard. Oddly enough the eject button doesn't eject the DVD so you will get caught in a power-cycle cycle. Not sure what I did to eject the DVD but it took several minutes.

Will post some screenshots once I tweak WindowsBlind with ObjectDock. Macbook has never looked so good.

Edited by nextmario