LCD vs Plasma vs DLP

Eldeirian545

What do you like better between LCD plasma and DLP..... but why did you choose...

if you could help me out i would greatly appreciate it

thanks

Eldeirian

xinary
What do you like better between LCD plasma and DLP..... but why did you choose...

if you could help me out i would greatly appreciate it

thanks

Eldeirian

I chose LCD because the picture quality is of the highest detail available, also the lifespan of the components is much greater than that of DLP which requires a new bulb every 3 to 4 years, and can be quite expensive ($300 dollar range). Plasmas have also overcame a lot of their downsides like burn in and what not, but to me LCD just has the best quality, but also the highest price. They also have very little energy consumption, they are light, and can be mounted on a wall, where as the DLP have a lot more depth to them. Another thing about DLP is that the viewing angle kinda sucks, you have to look it dead on.

It sure is hard to argue the price relative to screen size that the DLP TVs offer!

Hope this helps!

Eldeirian545

yes thank you very much....

i appreciate it...

WooSH

^ i always thought that LCD were the cheapest, and least quality available. then there was DLP then Plasma.

but that i guess is probably what the general public believes as well, which might be just as false.

Flae_qui

DLP by far and with the new LED DLP models out they last much much longer the older bulb style are now a thing of the past

Eldeirian545

lol

I think thats lcd that is getting the led lights which will make it last longer

CCRATA

DLP is the cheapest. It is bigger, but has excellent picture quality. Some have speed issues where there is some lag. This is an issue if you want to play games on it

LCD is nice, but doesn't have the full color spectrum but is very clear and crisp pictures.

I don't like plasma at all.

Eldeirian545

oh thats sweet!

I like that... but u dont have that 176 angle degree so u get that glare...

kl33per

Well firstly, you're talking fundamentally different display technologies here. Firstly, DLP is almost exclusiviely a projector based technology. LCD can be used for both projectors and flat panels. Plasma is exclusively a flat pannel technology. Firstly, the argument is Projector Vs. Flat Panel. IMO, if you want a big image, you need a projector. Mine's a 90" DLP and whilst it's getting long in the tooth these days (cost AUD$8000, equivalent models can now be had for less than AUD$1000), it was money well spent and has been fantastic.

However, if you want only a moderately large screen, a flat panel is the way to go. IMO, an LCD screen should last longer, run cooler, and with less power requirements. If you want a moderately sized screen (50"-60"), you pretty much limited to Plasma flat panels anyway.

Edit: I wouldn't buy a rear projector. IMO too much light is lost in bouncing the image off internal mirrors.

Dan~

I went for DLP, because when I saw the picture quality on all three variations, LCD, Plasma and DLP and generally the same price. The DLP blew the others away.

The blacks are black, unlike LCD, there's no burn in, unlike the Plasma's.

The only downside I can think of about DLP is the back is quite large, but for me this didn't matter due to the way my wall is, so it fit in nicely.

With DLP is the bulb was to blow after a few years of heavy TV watching, you just replace the bulb, and the TV is brand new. If anything goes wrong with your LCD or Plasma, you have to buy a new one, if you've not got warranty or house insurance ;)

I paid ?1000 for a 50" DLP HD, Sagem hd50t or something so, the picture is faultless, really rich quality pictures:))

I'm going to stick with my DLP until a 50" OLED comes out:DD

bangbang023

General run down.

LCD

Pros:

- Sharpest images

- Brightest (handles bright rooms well)

- Available in the full range of sizes

- Lower power consumption that the others

Cons:

- Black levels (and overall color depth) are still an issue

- Vertical viewing angles

- Uneven image fade over time (hot spots)

Plasma

Pros:

- Best black levels (and overall color depth)

- No ghosting issues with fast motion

- Widest viewing angles, by far

- Far fewer hot spot issues

Cons:

- High power consumption

- Only available in larger sized sets

- No bulbs can be replaced when it burns out

DLP

Pros:

- Least expensive per inch (generally speaking)

- New LED backlit sets eliminate need to change the bulb every few years

Cons:

- Physically large

- Poor viewing angles

- Most hot spot issues of the three

- Moving parts means more areas of possible failure

All three technologies (referring to LED backlit DLP's, no standard bulbs) will give you approximately 60,000 hours of life.

xinary
General run down.

LCD

Pros:

- Sharpest images

Cons:

- Black levels (and overall color depth) are still an issue

Plasma

Pros:

- Best black levels (and overall color depth)

- No ghosting issues with fast motion

- Far fewer hot spot issues

Cons:

- High power consumption

- Only available in larger sized sets

- No bulbs can be replaced when it burns out

DLP

Pros:

Cons:

- Physically large

- Poor viewing angles

All three technologies (referring to LED backlit DLP's, no standard bulbs) will give you approximately 60,000 hours of life.

And don't forget burn in on plasma:)

bangbang023
And don't forget burn in on plasma:)

It's almost unheard of these days. Image retention is the most common side effect and that's only temporary. As a matter of fact, IR is actually possible on LCD screens, also.

Flae_qui

i've personally seen one that had an H burn'd into it cus it was on the History Channel to much

Emile

Plasmas also have the lowest life span of all of them...that life span goes down the higher in altitude you live because the gasses escape. They are the best picture you can get. I went 52" Samsung LCD and I'm perfectly happy with the picture. Keep in mind your viewing distance when you look at size. I went 52" because I am @15' away from the screen.

Edited by Emile

sundayx

How would OLEDs fit in? Cause those like paper thin displays are coming out and they look sex.

MrKuro
General run down.

LCD

Pros:

- Sharpest images (debatable, you can just as easily have blurry images on lcd's)

Cons:

- Black levels (and overall color depth) are still an issue (yes they are, aswell as response time)

Plasma

Pros:

- Best black levels (and overall color depth) (big plus,blacks, natural colors and skin tones)

- No ghosting issues with fast motion (yep none at all)

- Far fewer hot spot issues (generally a not an issue, my plasmas are relatively cool overall)

Cons:

- High power consumption

- Only available in larger sized sets (and this is a con?, who the hell buys a small set anymore?) :p

- No bulbs can be replaced when it burns out (bulb?, wtf? .. do you mean the phosphor's which emit their own light, no backlight needed, and the aging/halflife is far longer than you will possibly have the tv, complete non issue)

- image retention? (maybe an issue if you leave a channel paused for very verylong periods, but gone quickly with motion again. and burn in .. thing of the past due to prevention technologies (pixel shift algorithims and such) ... on modern plasma's these are really not an issue at all.

DLP

Pros:

Cons:

- Physically large

- Poor viewing angles

- image quality (decent but not great)

a few changes .. see above.

I have a few large modern flat screen tv's.. and as nice as lcd is (excellent for a pc screen), the picture qaulity for movies/sports/tv/games, doesn't hold a candle to a good plasma .. plasma is vastly superior in black levels, color reproduction, skin tones, and responsive image for high motion scenes.. (I have the LCD in my den, with many windows where glare is an issue, and i can't easily control the environmental lighting)

to me the only downsides are possibly heat (big whoop, my sharp 52'' is nearly just as hot as my panny 42'' plasma) .. cost to purchase (okay a good plasma can cost a pretty penny), and electricity consumption (again big whoop).

If you are more concerned image quality .. instead of silly things like power,heat,cost .. then plasma is king.

My Pioneer 6010 kuro plasma is perfect, and you would be hard pressed to argue otherwise.

Edited by WolfDV

Sethos

I'm on the Plasma Wagon, great image quality and the "Burn in" which everybody is rambling about is really a non-issue on new Plasmas. I've been sitting at Test Screens, 360 Dashboard and other still images for hours and hours, not even a hint of IR.

bangbang023

I have a few large modern flat screen tv's.. and as nice as lcd is (excellent for a pc screen), the picture qaulity for movies/sports/tv/games, doesn't hold a candle to a good plasma .. plasma is vastly superior in black levels, color reproduction, skin tones, and responsive image for high motion scenes..

to me the only downsides are possibly heat (big whoop, my sharp 52'' is nearly just as hot as my panny 42'' plasma) .. cost to purchase (okay a good plasma can cost a pretty penny), and electricity consumption (again big whoop).

If you are more concerned image quality .. instead of silly things like power,heat,cost .. then plasma is king.

My Pioneer 6010 kuro plasma is perfect, and you would be hard pressed to argue otherwise.

You completely butchered my list lol.

- Hotspots refers to parts of the image being brighter than the others.

- My comment about no bulbs to replace on the plasma means once it dies, it's dead.

- Some of your other additions, such as "image quality" are purely subjective and don't belong there.

+StevoFC

One thing I hate about most plasma tv's is their native resolution being so low.

Mathachew

I'm fairly new to looking into TVs, but I went to a store a few weeks ago and was speaking with an associate about what I'm looking for. There were two 32" TVs right next to each other, but he went out of his way to highlight that the one on the right was the only 1080p TV, while all other 32" TVs were 720p, so you get a higher resolution. I looked at both TVs and then asked, "So this one has a higher resolution, but they picture looks the same. Why would I care about 1080 vs 720 on these TVs? It looks like I get the same output." Maybe you guys could expound on what he tried to explain. His immediate response was, "You're kidding?" I then reiterated my question and pointed out that neither TV looked better than the other, even with the higher resolution. Please, learn me because I'm proficient with PCs and web developing, but this whole TV business sometimes goes over my head :(

xinary

I have a few large modern flat screen tv's.. and as nice as lcd is (excellent for a pc screen), the picture qaulity for movies/sports/tv/games, doesn't hold a candle to a good plasma .. plasma is vastly superior in black levels, color reproduction, skin tones, and responsive image for high motion scenes.. (I have the LCD in my den, with many windows where glare is an issue, and i can't easily control the environmental lighting)

Your statements about picture quality, skin tones, and color reproductions are totally subjective and not fact. I am still waiting for a plasma that can keep as sharp of picture as my LG LCD.

I'm fairly new to looking into TVs, but I went to a store a few weeks ago and was speaking with an associate about what I'm looking for. There were two 32" TVs right next to each other, but he went out of his way to highlight that the one on the right was the only 1080p TV, while all other 32" TVs were 720p, so you get a higher resolution. I looked at both TVs and then asked, "So this one has a higher resolution, but they picture looks the same. Why would I care about 1080 vs 720 on these TVs? It looks like I get the same output." Maybe you guys could expound on what he tried to explain. His immediate response was, "You're kidding?" I then reiterated my question and pointed out that neither TV looked better than the other, even with the higher resolution. Please, learn me because I'm proficient with PCs and web developing, but this whole TV business sometimes goes over my head :(

1080p is pretty much a nonpoint right now. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p except for HDDVD and Bluray. Also for TV's under 50 inches you aren't going to notice a difference anyways. He is just blowing smoke up your arse :)

b20a61u31

i thought plasma TVs offered better TV watching experience while LCDs are better for game playing because they have higher contrast

+StevoFC
Your statements about picture quality, skin tones, and color reproductions are totally subjective and not fact. I am still waiting for a plasma that can keep as sharp of picture as my LG LCD.

1080p is pretty much a nonpoint right now. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p except for HDDVD and Bluray. Also for TV's under 50 inches you aren't going to notice a difference anyways. He is just blowing smoke up your arse :)

As for a 32 inch. I agree the difference between 720p and 1080p (or 1080i for that matter) won't be noticable.

But I can honestly say, on my 40 inch 1080p Samsung lcd, the hd broadcasts of 1080i (same res as 1080p) look much better than the 720p stations. You are able to see a lot more detail.