Quality recording interface

Not sure if many people on here know much about this subject, but I'll give it a shot. I am basically after a quality audio recording interface, I have a range of effect pedals at the moment and want to record my guitar directly into the computer. When I'm recording straight into my sound card (which is on board anyway), it sounds really empty, crackly and when it hits high notes there is a lot of distortion (I am just playing with a bit of reverb and delay). I assume getting an independent interface will fix this and give improved quality. I'm after a pretty decent one, that has the ability to run multiple things into it like a mic, guitar, bass etc. all at the same time for live recordings. I was looking at some M-Audio stuff, but a lot of it seems to be USB based, and I've heard that I will have latency problems with that (something I wish to avoid, as I have a M-Audio Keystation 49e and I get a bit of latency when recording in Reason with that). Perhaps a PCI card with an external unit is the way to go?