Waiting For My 35mm f/1.4L

torrentthief    313

meh, you camera geeks! hehe.

Im happy with my Canon 400d and sigma 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. decent zoom for me and only cost me ?60 2nd hand after i sold my Stock 18-55mm lens that came with my 400d, so ?400 for camera + 18-200mm lens after cashback and codes.

sanctified    1,225
meh, you camera geeks! hehe.

Im happy with my Canon 400d and sigma 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. decent zoom for me and only cost me ?60 2nd hand after i sold my Stock 18-55mm lens that came with my 400d, so ?400 for camera + 18-200mm lens after cashback and codes.

Different lens different needs man. Try shooting in a darkish setting with that lens at decent speeds.

torrentthief    313

switch the lights on! LOL :p or use the flash. im not a pro photographer so i dont need indoor photos without lights or a flash, most of my photos are outdoors so a big zoom is much better for me.

giga    46

I thought about the 35L but it's so damn expensive. :| I might jump on the Sigma 30 1.4

saxondale.    15

I paid about half the retail price for it ;)

giga    46
I paid about half the retail price for it ;)

Do tell :o

saxondale.    15

Over here, it's about ?1000 ($2000), i paid ?650 ($1300) which included delivery, extended 3 year warranty and other little things. Ordered it from a Chinese company, DigitalRev. They have some awesome deals.

Elliot B.    1,852

"35mm f/1.4L"

Is that good? I have no idea what it means :|

My compact digital camera has a "3x6.1-18.3mm 1:3.5-4.2" lens, whatever that means :p

giga    46
Over here, it's about ?1000 ($2000), i paid ?650 ($1300) which included delivery, extended 3 year warranty and other little things. Ordered it from a Chinese company, DigitalRev. They have some awesome deals.

Damn, guess we have it lucky here in the US. 1100 on amazon lol.

saxondale.    15

As always :(

churchonsundays    3

thats more than my camera itself. my D40 kit cost like 600$

SirEvan    122
"35mm f/1.4L"

Is that good? I have no idea what it means :|

My compact digital camera has a "3x6.1-18.3mm 1:3.5-4.2" lens, whatever that means :p

I'll break it down for you so you understand what each part means.

35mm is the focal length of the lens, or...the distance from the lens to the film/sensor. the larger the number, the more "zoom" a lens has. Generally speaking in 35mm terms, 10-24=wide angle, 35-85=norma, and anything over 100=telephoto "zoom"

F 1.4 = the max speed or aperture of the lens. A lens's speed is in reference to how wide it can open the aperture, letting in more light, thus letting you shoot in lower light condition.s F 1.4 is a huge opening, thus can shoot in very low ammounts of light without having to bump the iso or sensititivity up.

L is a canon term, but im sure it refers to the series that the lens is in, just as nikon has D and G series.

your cameras statement means its a 3x zoom lens, it goes from 6.1=18.3mm, and its fastest aperture is 3.5 at 6.1mm, but it stops down as you zoom in till it gets to a widest setting of f4.2 at 18.3 mm. This doesn't mean you have a super wide angle camera, I don't know what model you have so i can't tell you the conversion, but because your sensor is alot smaller than a 35mm camera, you prbably have the equivelant of say 35mm-105mm lens. Thats just a guess tho, if you told me your model number I could tell you exactly.

Hope that clears it up for you

Bubbabyte    14

thanks for that info sirevan, seriously i had no idea how that stuff worked. But i still have one more stupid question for you, because i'm a noob in this area and its notmakng sense to me. You said that the mm distance is the distance that the lense is from the sensor, that makes sense, however can you explain why my lense extends out when i'm at a 18mm wide angle, AND when i'm at 55mm distance. The only time the lens is contracted is when i'm at 35mm.

SirEvan    122
thanks for that info sirevan, seriously i had no idea how that stuff worked. But i still have one more stupid question for you, because i'm a noob in this area and its notmakng sense to me. You said that the mm distance is the distance that the lense is from the sensor, that makes sense, however can you explain why my lense extends out when i'm at a 18mm wide angle, AND when i'm at 55mm distance. The only time the lens is contracted is when i'm at 35mm.

Different lenses operate differently when it comes to zoom. Depending on how your lens elements (sections of glass that focus the light) are layed out, it may be that your lens could be out the furthest at its middle position, and then retracted more at its widest and telephoto positions. I believe nikons 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 G lens was like this, where it would shift in position as you zoomed in...kinda strange, but its how they designed the lens.

Here is a diagram showing the elements in a lens

4778-ZoomOut500.gif

what i mean by different elements moving, is say the first and second pieces of glass could move apart or together, thus changing the position of your lens at different zooms