No More On-Time Free Content and Demos for Xbox Live Silver Members

Very unprofessional you have to turn this into a PS3 discussion. It has NOTHING to do with Sony. Stay on track Spartan.

You didn't complain when you or anyone else brought Sony into it...

And for the record, I didn't buy the 360 to complain. This is the first major complaint I have about it.

but the thing is, they don't have to give you anything at all for free if they don't want to. if it's such a big deal to wait a week pony up the $50 for a year subscription and quit bitching.

(Y)

In effect that's all this change is doing - Taking something away from one half of your userbase, but then not giving anything back at all for either side :wacko:

how about packing some decent cables with the PS3? something you can do when you brag your console is the ultimate HD experience.

This sounds like something Sony would of done 4~5 months back (had they charged in the first place) - At least since then they've argubaly had their "sensible" hat on more than often.

just wait a bit more, around 9 months and you'll see what Sony is planning to do with your beloved PSNS. :rofl:

I disagree. It would be a benefit of having Gold if Live had started in this fashion, but it didn't, demos were at the same time for everyone until now. Why the sudden change of heart MS?

you have no idea what you're talking about, the fact that just now Microsoft is enforcing the differences between gold and silver doesn't mean we just came out with that idea out of our rear last week. next time try to do some proper research before posting BS.

How about we make online play FREE, and charge for a Gold subscription for demos/games early - Then we'll see how many people see it as a needed advantage to pay for :hmmm:

how about a real matchmaking system or a system that actually knows your skill ranking based in your gaming habits?

Edited by Spartan_X

how about packing some decent cables with the PS3? something you can do when you brag your console is the ultimate HD experience.

just wait a bit more, around 9 months and you'll see what Sony is planning to do with your beloved PSNS. :rofl:

you have no idea what you're talking about, the fact that just now Microsoft is enforcing the differences between gold and silver don't mean we just came out with that idea out of our rear last week. next time try to do some proper research before posting BS.

how about a real matchmaking system or a system that actually knows your skill ranking based in your gaming habits?

What has that got to do with Live/Online/Demos?

You are essentially turning this into a debate that's not needed.

This topic has nothing to do SONY in the depth you are bringing up.

You didn't complain when you or anyone else brought Sony into it...

PL, none of the other references to Sony as far as I can see would of started a ****-storm like what Spartan brought into the topic.

just look at the PSN Store, it's a freaking web page that lacks style, functionality and is freaking slow and on top of that there's nothing in there other than a couple of videos and demos.

^

Have your opinions, but is it really necessary to bring that into this topic? Do you see what I mean PL?

just wait a bit more, around 9 months and you'll see what Sony is planning to do with your beloved PSNS

Know something none of us do?

Jeeeesus. I dislike this 7 day waiting policy, that's all. I'm not attacking the whole of god damn Live. Just this 1 change. Get off your defensive high-horses and come back down to earth. Live is great, just not this change.

I think it's a bad decision, and that it doesn't benefit anyone. That's how I currently feel, feel free to try and change that if you want - I don't mind.

I'm not the fricking Anti-Christ! So don't treat me, or reply to me like im worthless. Have some respect - I don't mind clashing opinions, or you trying to prove/disprove something that I've said.

Spartan, keeping on-topic, please enlighten me to the benefit of this change for everyone?

Edited by Audioboxer

So MS really need to explore the option of dedicated servers down the road, hell, leave it up to the developer to run them, I do not care. At least make it an option.

That is exactly what Resistance and Warhawk do though. Sony don't have anything to do with game hosting.

As for the new demo scheme, I couldn't give a toss. It probably won't help advertising for new titles as much, but it's not the only means of advertisment either.

I think it's a bad decision, and that it doesn't benefit anyone.

It does benefit people though. It will allow us paying members to download the demos at a reasonable speed as soon as it is available.

It does benefit people though. It will allow us paying members to download the demos at a reasonable speed as soon as it is available.

I've never had speed issues with Live as far as I can tell (there is no direct indication of your download speed, just a %)

I guess you could chuck that as a 1up for Gold users, but I would still forsee the day a big demo is released as being busy/or slower than normal anyway - regardless of this change.

If this is the main reason MS is making this change, then as I said a 24hr-48hr delay is enough to alleviate the server "stress" of a day 1/2 release of a big demo. A week is a little unecessary for maintaining download speeds.

I don't get it Audio. Why is this such a debate and hard pressed issue for you? You bought your 360, you paid for your Gold subscription. Why are you complaining? This has absolutely NO EFFECT on you!

I don't get it Audio. Why is this such a debate and hard pressed issue for you? You bought your 360, you paid for your Gold subscription. Why are you complaining? This has absolutely NO EFFECT on you!

Not necessarily things could change. If you read what I said a page or two back, you'd see yeah while im not that fussed right now, I may not always be a gold subscriber 24/7. What happens if I want a break for a few months and a big demo comes out - That's when it will affect me.

What I said a bit back...

Right now I don't feel that ^ strongly yet, but I will if I go onto Silver and have to start waiting a week. At that point I'll maybe even be getting the multiplatform demo of the PS3 version of "game x" before my waiting period of a week on Live is up

OH AND LOOK.... I even cracked a joke ABOUT the speed of demos getting to PSN (slow... they usually always come AFTER Live)

The main reason things turn into a huge debate at times is people tend to think "im out to get them and their product". Pretty frustrating and childlish at times - Frustrating as it usually ruins a perfectly fine discussion/debate. No problem with things getting a little heated, but when respect is chucked out the window, people run amok.

I post about things I don't like with my Wii, my PS3 and my 360. Not just one of them.

Understandable and I don't feel as if you've disrespected me nor have I disrespected you. My rebuddle to what you had said about being a Gold subscriber 24/7 is if in fact you did just that, you can still get the demo. Just not as soon as Gold does. And it would be your own fault for doing that fully knowing that going to Silver would give you that extra 7 days, so really you couldn't complain about it. I understand that you're just bringing up an issue, but the way it seems in your last several posts is that your "complaining". And about a feature that has no effect on you and if it did it would be by your own knowledge.

Understandable and I don't feel as if you've disrespected me nor have I disrespected you. My rebuddle to what you had said about being a Gold subscriber 24/7 is if in fact you did just that, you can still get the demo. Just not as soon as Gold does. And it would be your own fault for doing that fully knowing that going to Silver would give you that extra 7 days, so really you couldn't complain about it. I understand that you're just bringing up an issue, but the way it seems in your last several posts is that your "complaining". And about a feature that has no effect on you and if it did it would be by your own knowledge.

Fair enough, I agree.

All I'll add is the topic doesn't evolve around me. You can see actual Silver user's post their grudges against the change.

I'm just going to have to make sure I have a Gold account when the big demos hit :laugh: ;)

MS are trying to "encourage" them to pay for Live. While this isn't new business tactics, the waiting time of a WEEK is what is ridiculous. That won't "tempt" people into Gold, it will "force" them.

OH MY ****ING GOD A WHOLE ****ING WEEK FOR A DEMO WHAT THE ****A RE WE GONNA DO? MAN I CAN'T AFFFORD $5.00 AND THERES NO WAYYY IM GONNA WAIT A WHOLEEEE WEEK FOR MIRO$OFT111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 THIS IS ****IGN REIDLCOUS ****ING MICROSOFT AND THEIR ****IGN MARKETING bull**** IM BEING FORCED TO PAY OR WAIT A WEEK HOLY **** WHAT AM I GOING TO DO 11111111111111

FINALLY. Its about godam time.

Just another way for them to get more people to pay for stuff that use to be free. Microsoft reminds me of the Capital One commercial, "Yup You've Got Bankers!"

Why should I have to endure slow download speeds while you leech bandwith you aren't paying for?

OH MY ****ING GOD A WHOLE ****ING WEEK FOR A DEMO WHAT THE ****A RE WE GONNA DO? MAN I CAN'T AFFFORD $5.00 AND THERES NO WAYYY IM GONNA WAIT A WHOLEEEE WEEK FOR MIRO$OFT111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 THIS IS ****IGN REIDLCOUS ****ING MICROSOFT AND THEIR ****IGN MARKETING bull**** IM BEING FORCED TO PAY OR WAIT A WEEK HOLY **** WHAT AM I GOING TO DO 11111111111111

See, this isn't even funny, it's very sad you would even have the idea in your head to make a post like this.

Keep Neowin clean, rid of the BS like this (Y)

Maybe you're ok waiting a week (if you were a silver user), but I wouldn't be. I'm what people may want to call a "desperate gamer" - I like to play anticipated games/demos the minute they are out.

My thinking is this: If you can afford to spend ?200+ on a console, ?35 shouldn't take too long to save up.

*ducks*

Understandable way to think.

The issue I raised was out of the people who aren't using Gold right now, 95% of them probably don't as they don't use online multiplayer play (the other 5% are probably too skin:p:p)

Therefore what they (the 95% who don't use online play) are effectively paying is ?35 to get access to demos on time.

Maybe in signing up it would encourage them to make more use of Gold? Who knows? Probably what MS want - Which isn't all bad... as Gold offers more than just online play.

But the main stick in the mud I have is the 7 days. Reduce it to a few days and whadda ya get?

Hardened Silver users will be happy enough to wait a few days to get their demo. These people WON'T pay and thats it... but they will be reasonable enough to realise 24-48hrs ain't that long.

On-the fence Silver users might think, hey I'll give it a go, get my demos early and maybe I'll like more than just the online play of Gold.

Keep it at a week though, and I think you danger ****ing off the hardened Silver user, and frustrating the on-the fence user.

All that roots to my opinion of 7 days being too long though. I respect others may think it's fine, good to hear everyone say what they think.

Edited by Audioboxer

FINALLY. Its about godam time.

Why should I have to endure slow download speeds while you leech bandwith you aren't paying for?

Why should we even have to pay a fee to play on servers MS definitely arent paying for?

Why should we even have to pay a fee to play on servers MS definitely arent paying for?

Do you even know what you are saying anymore. It is not a big secret that MS don't host servers for games. That has always been the case. Azz0r_wugg clearly said downloads, which MS do pay for. So yes it is fair to be paying for that bandwidth and service.

Do you even know what you are saying anymore. It is not a big secret that MS don't host servers for games. That has always been the case. Azz0r_wugg clearly said downloads, which MS do pay for. So yes it is fair to be paying for that bandwidth and service.

Same principle - MS cashing in rewards for something they arent helping with

Without going that offtopic, I still feel we pay for what Live has built up online play/communication wise - Whether or not that's worth it for you, is for another discussion.

I don't think the subscription to Gold is about bandwith at all.

Therefore linking this back into the topic, I don't think we are being restricted with the demos for the reason of bandwith - It's a business technique to earn more money from Silver <-> Gold conversions - Anyone can see that. MS is still going to be pumping out a hell of a lot of bandwith, as Gold users outnumber Silver users anyway - So those expecting a speed increase of 200% I'd rethink (as I said earlier though, I don't even find Live slow anyway)

And I wouldn't have as big a beef (as believe it or not, I understand a business has to make money to grow), if the unfair sentence of a week was chopped down.

So what do you get for your money then, Demos? Psn does this for free. Friends lists/messaging? Psn does this for free. Bandwidth? Psn gives you this for free. Online Play? well you get the general idea....

So what do you get for your money then, Demos? Psn does this for free. Friends lists/messaging? Psn does this for free. Bandwidth? Psn gives you this for free. Online Play? well you get the general idea....

A better experience.

We've had this damn conversation over and over - nobody's changin their stance on it and it's not getting us anywhere. This topic needs to die.

-Spenser