People still think HDTVs are too expensive... why?

On the news this evening they aired a piece about HDTVs and how people are reluctant to buy them. The majority of comments from consumers suggests they believe HDTVs are too expensive.

While the higher end HDTVs are relatively expensive, I've noticed that overall the market for TVs is cheaper now than it was 4 years ago by comparison.

For instance, I bought a 27inch flat screen Sony CRT almost 5 years ago. I paid 800$ for it, which was competitive for the time. It's a good TV.

Today you can buy a 32inch flat panel Sony LCD HDTV for the same price. Other brands off similar pricing. Obviously these aren't top end TVs, but they are good - regarded the same as my CRT was 4 years ago.

A 32inch LCD will give you roughly the same 4:3 size as a 27inch CRT and gives you the advantage of widescreen. Don't forget the HD. HDTV service from Videotron (if you go local) costs an extra 3$ a month. Whatever channels you are subscribed to, if there is an HD version - you get it.

So I'm a bit confused; how are HDTVs too expensive? Only if you go for the high end models or the newer techs, like 1080p, do you start to pay more.

On the news this evening they aired a piece about HDTVs and how people are reluctant to buy them. The majority of comments from consumers suggests they believe HDTVs are too expensive.

While the higher end HDTVs are relatively expensive, I've noticed that overall the market for TVs is cheaper now than it was 4 years ago by comparison.

For instance, I bought a 27inch flat screen Sony CRT almost 5 years ago. I paid 800$ for it, which was competitive for the time. It's a good TV.

Today you can buy a 32inch flat panel Sony LCD HDTV for the same price. Other brands off similar pricing. Obviously these aren't top end TVs, but they are good - regarded the same as my CRT was 4 years ago.

A 32inch LCD will give you roughly the same 4:3 size as a 27inch CRT and gives you the advantage of widescreen. Don't forget the HD. HDTV service from Videotron (if you go local) costs an extra 3$ a month. Whatever channels you are subscribed to, if there is an HD version - you get it.

So I'm a bit confused; how are HDTVs too expensive? Only if you go for the high end models or the newer techs, like 1080p, do you start to pay more.

Maybe its because they don't have money to waste?

I don't think its the HDTV's that are expensive, its what it costs to make HDTV's transmit HD Content.

My parents walked into a store about 2 to 3 years ago and seen a HDTV on sale and they almost bought it, then the guy told them what it would cost to make the picture that quality and that is what turned them off.

I didn't take into consideration, my Cable company charges $450 for a HDTV box, it comes with the cables, Wii Component Cables to broadcast in 480P cost $20, an up converting DVD player can cost up to $100. HDMI can cost (retail $60, but if you know where to get them online you CAN get cheaper).

Blu Ray and HD-DVD in Canada still cost $300+ I havn't seen any rediculous prices like $100 HD-DVD players in Canada yet, I think its gone as low as $200 though, i'm not positive.

I have an HDTV (Philips 32"), but I don't have any HDTV service through my cable provider...it would require a $500 box plus at least $10 extra per month (on top of $80 a month for basic+Movie channels). Thankfully, the 2 channels I watch most are available OTA (ATSC)...but I can see how people here would think it's too expensive, as any HD source would require an additional $500 or so (Blu-ray/HD-DVD player).

I've read on some forums that US cable companies are required to transmit a certain amount of clear QAM channels even with a basic cable subscription.

I wish the Canadian regulators would toughen up the standards already. Our networks are all reluctant to make the move towards HD. CBC is the only network with a decent OTA setup going around here but their programming isn't all that great.

In Montreal various promotions mean the HDTV box can cost as little as 100$. Also, like I said, Videotron HD service is only 3 or 4$ a month. Wiring has always been an issue, even before HDTVs.

I dont see them as expensive its just 95%of the time i use the tv from a SD source so whats the point yet? SD looks better on crts...

I'd have to fork out on skyhd or vigin hd and theres only a handfull of channels for not much benefit imho

In Montreal various promotions mean the HDTV box can cost as little as 100$. Also, like I said, Videotron HD service is only 3 or 4$ a month. Wiring has always been an issue, even before HDTVs.

your lucky, Shaw here doesn't offer discounts on their boxes even though I tried writing them a nice letter. But I do agree with you, after shopping around, you can get a nice 32" LCD for a very good price. Its just the extras that tack on, I figure I spent at least $800 because I bought the Shaw HD PVR, an upconverting DVD Player, and wii cables. on top of my $1,800 TV (47 Inches!!).

The problem also lies in the current dive our economy is taking.

Generally speaking, people want to be able to get a good 32" unit for about $500. When LCD's hit that sweet spot, I can guarantee that sales will boom even more than they have in the past 2 years.

I'm reluctant to buy a 32" because for sometimes $200 - 300 more, I can get a 37 or 42, but I can't fit it. I'm turned off by the fact that for just a little more (that I'm willing to spend), I can get a larger TV and the only thing stopping me from getting it is the fact that I can't fit it. And as of now, not having any extra money atm also stops me.

My parents 25" CRT tv FINALLY started to die over the Thanksgiving holiday week. Last Zenith that was made in

the USA, they bought it in 85 or 86 I think. My nephew runs a BB a couple hours away, so we went up there to

take a look. Got a really nice 37" Samsung for less than a thousand bucks. They are on satellite, but I will be

hooking up an over the air antenna since they live less than 30 miles from 3 digital tv towers.

I have an HDTV (Philips 32"), but I don't have any HDTV service through my cable provider...it would require a $500 box plus at least $10 extra per month (on top of $80 a month for basic+Movie channels).

It sounds like Rogers is better than Shaw then. Rogers charges $200-$300 for the basic HDTV box (no PVR) and the HD content is free. There are about 17 HDTV channels that didn't cost anything beyond their normal VIP package. I don't subscribe to any movie or digital speciality channels so I pay about $105/month including 5Mbit high-speed internet. Overall, I get a few hundred channels.

It sounds like Rogers is better than Shaw then. Rogers charges $200-$300 for the basic HDTV box (no PVR) and the HD content is free. There are about 17 HDTV channels that didn't cost anything beyond their normal VIP package. I don't subscribe to any movie or digital speciality channels so I pay about $105/month including 5Mbit high-speed internet. Overall, I get a few hundred channels.

Rogers was great when we had them before (I guess they traded regions with shaw around 2000). There is a local provided called Novus, which offers you the box for dirt cheap (or will activate any old one you have), and you get a bunch of channels for free: http://www.novuscom.net/services/hdtv.php

But they only serve internet to our building. At least I have their internet services though, as Shaw was horrible last time I had internet with them...

HIGH DEFINITION (HD)

500* HD Leafs TV

501 HD Preview Channel

502 HD Rogers Sportsnet

503* HD TSN

505* HD Discovery Channel

506 Raptors NBA TV HD

507 The ScoreHD

508 HD OMNI.1

509 HD OMNI.2

512 HD SUN TV

513 HD CBC Toronto (CBLT)

514 HD SRC Toronto (CBLFT)

515 HD Global Toronto (CIII)

517 HD CTV Toronto (CFTO)

519 HD Citytv Toronto

522* HD ABC Seattle (KOMO)

523* HD CBS Seattle (KIRO)

524* HD NBC Seattle (KING)

525 HD PBS (East)

526* HD FOX Seattle (KCPQ)

527 HD ABC Buffalo (WKBW)

528 HD CBS Buffalo (WIVB)

529 HD NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)

530 HD PBS (East)

531 HD FOX Buffalo (WUTV)

532 HD WGN Chicago (CW9)

533 A&E HD

534 Showcase HD

535 National Geographic HD

536* MMore HD

537* The Movie Network HD

538* HD Pay Per View 1

539* HD Pay Per View 2

540* Mpix HD

541* HDNet

The VIP package is $58.95 (although this includes hundreds of non-HDTV channels)

Channels with a asterix are extra (or another package)

I would expect to get another 3 years out of that t.v. Unless I'm forced to upgrade then I won't. A television

isn't like a game console. You don't just buy a new one when they come out with a newer model.

Some people, believe it or not, don't really have aproblem with thier current televidion.

Are people ignorant or just dumb? .... or am I?

if you have to ask......

i bought 29" CRT TV for $300nzd at beginning of the year for $100 more i could have bought 19" 4:3 lcd tv which for obvious reasons isn't ideal for a tv to play ps3 on from a distance :\ for decent one here it's going to set you back atleast $1000 for 32" which is just too expensive.

People think HDTVs are expensive...because they are ...durr! People will compare them to other TVs on the market, and see that those are cheaper (non HD). Not everyone cares about having the latest fanciest gadgetry ..

if you want a basic 720p "hd" tv then you dont have to look far atall, plenty of them for around the ?300 or so price mark, im getting a 42" Full-HD TV next month (after xmas:pp) for under ?800, that about say... a year ago would of cost me 2-3k

We brought a 42" Hi-Def LCD a month or 2 ago, it was only 720p and so the image is slighting blurry / distorted because of that resolution. Cost around ?5 - 600 i think.:((