• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

People still think HDTVs are too expensive... why?

Joel    27
The bad thing about current HDTVs are the misleading 720p models -- they are not true high definition.

Don't buy into Sony's definition of HD; if the TV is under a certain size, you may as well just pee your money away getting a 32" 1080p set.

Many people don't have the space for anything larger than 37" and they can't figure out why the images look stretched once they get it home, since they didn't realise they need an HD source.

bangbang023    31
HDTV will have to go down in price in 2009 when OTA becomes exclusively digital.

The transition has nothing to do with high definition.

Hurmoth    518

I think HDTVs are still on the expensive side. That could be because I'm dirt poor right now though :p

The_Decryptor    1,105

Our HDTV (analog tuner of course, digital tuners are still a rarity here) cost about $1,200 or so.

Cheap for here.

Brian M.    778

Well you can pick up a 32" Phillips HD LCD (analogue tuner) for ?349.99 here (Richer Sounds). I have the 26" version of the same TV and it is absolutely brilliant (miles better picture than our 42" Panasonic downstairs).

I think the main issue for consumers is too much choice. Years ago, you bought a TV in the colour/size you want, and connected everything via Scart/RCA, with an RF loop - everything was nice and simple. Now, you have to choose between size/style, analogue/digital, SD/ED/HD, LCD/Plasma, 720/1080, and now you also have Scart/RCA/VGA as well as Composite/DVI/HDMI.

SkyyPunk    39

I got a steal, LG 42" 720p LCD HDTV for $350 + tax :D Working the system ftw <.<

also has QAM tuner...im pulling 1080i on $15 cable tv!

Edited by SkyyPunk

kubi789    2

I know quite a few people who are reluctant to buy them because they use more energy, thus making you pay more in the end on your electricity bill.

+StevoFC    21
I know quite a few people who are reluctant to buy them because they use more energy, thus making you pay more in the end on your electricity bill.

The only reason they seem to use more energy is because people are buying much larger televisions. I would say almost every lcd draws less power than a crt of the same size. And in most cases, even plasma televisions use less power than the equivalent size crt would.

Look here...http://www.tv.com/story/3153.html?q=tv

While there is some overlap, the TVs we tested form neat groups based on technology:

*Microdisplay rear projector: 0.11 to 0.15 watt per square inch

*LCD: 0.16 to 0.41 watt per square inch

*CRT: 0.25 to 0.40 watt per square inch

*Plasma: 0.30 to 0.39 watt per square inch

If power efficiency is all you're after, the clear choice is rear-projection technology, but these sets rarely get as bright as the others. While CRTs and LCDs are brighter, they are currently limited to about 36 and 40 inches, respectively. Of the four, plasma screens are generally the most power hungry, but on a square-inch basis, they are roughly equivalent to a large CRT set. Also, newer TVs are likely to be more efficient than older ones, and new technologies promise to make TVs more efficient.

Tiger.Girl    1

The first color TVs cost ~$1000 and back in that time you could buy a lot with that kind of money. Every new technology goes through an adoption phase and massive price reductions and HDTVs are just in the middle of that.

shockz    5,950
Why do people think HDTVs are too expensive? Well I just bought a 20" SDTV for $240. An HDTV at that size will cost around $600. Go figure!

I work at Best Buy and there is no 20" HDTV that costs nearly that amount.

In fact we have a few 19 inch ones for about 279

Anyways... comparing HDTV's to SDTV's that are the same size... SDTV's are still considerably cheaper.

Anything that's a decent size for an HDTV is still way too expensive for your average shopper who is used to spending maybe 400-500 dollars for a really nice 32-36" inch tube or going to be in for sticker shock when they come in to buy something that's the same size

Speaking of same size... specifically height wise... a 32" in tube is going to be a lot taller than a 32" flat panel (widescreen)... so if they want the same height that their 32" tube was... their going to move up to the 37-42 inch size for the flat panels where 900-1800 bucks will be common. Still way to pricey imo

Edited by shockz

kubi789    2
The only reason they seem to use more energy is because people are buying much larger televisions. I would say almost every lcd draws less power than a crt of the same size. And in most cases, even plasma televisions use less power than the equivalent size crt would.

Look here...http://www.tv.com/story/3153.html?q=tv

Well right lol.... and who wants to buy a small TV anymore?? The only reason they are getting bigger is because of flat screen technology such as Plasma TVs, LCD TVs, Projection TVs, so on and so forth. Let's just hope that as they get bigger, they figure out how to make them more energy efficient.

DaDude    46
The transition has nothing to do with high definition.

I think it does because people will have to buy either a converter box or an HDTV if they still want TV. Yes, I know they can get cable, but maybe since OTA will be exclusively HD, maybe cable companies will do the same.

I work at Best Buy and there is no 20" HDTV that costs nearly that amount.

Well, that is if you want to get some crappy brand like Insignia or Dynex. But I want a quality brand TV that'll last. Good brands like Samsung and Sony have pricey HDTVs.

A few examples to back up what I said:

Sharp 20"- $900

LG 19"- $430

Magnavox 19"- $480

Sharp 20"- $650

Those models are the TVs I saw at Best Buy and I found them on the site as well. So, I don't know what Best Buy you work at , but $400-600 is the standard price I saw for quality 20" HDTVs.

Paying $400-600 for a 19-20" HDTV is a lot of money when you can get an SDTV of the same size for half the cost. Also, since most HDTVs are widescreen, they will be shorter. So, if I were to buy an HDTV, I would get a 32" rather than a 20" because a 20" widescreen flat panel would look much smaller. And don't even get me started on the prices of 32" HDTVs. This is why people like me think HDTV is rediculously expensive. You'd think since HDTV is thinner and lighter, it should be cheaper and easier to make. I guess companies like to rip people off.

Edited by xraffle

shockz    5,950
I think it does because people will have to buy either a converter box or an HDTV if they still want TV. Yes, I know they can get cable, but maybe since OTA will be exclusively HD, maybe cable companies will do the same.

Well, that is if you want to get some crappy brand like Insignia or Dynex. But I want a quality brand TV that'll last. Good brands like Samsung and Sony have pricey HDTVs.

A few examples to back up what I said:

Sharp 20"- $900

LG 19"- $430

Magnavox 19"- $480

Sharp 20"- $65

Those models are the TVs I saw at Best Buy and I found them on the site as well. So, I don't know what Best Buy you work at , but $400-600 is the standard price I saw for quality 20" HDTVs.

Paying $400-600 for a 19-20" HDTV is a lot of money when you can get an SDTV of the same size for half the cost. Also, since most HDTVs are widescreen, they will be shorter. So, if I were to buy an HDTV, I would get a 32" rather than a 20" because a 20" widescreen flat panel would look much smaller. And don't even get me started on the prices of 32" HDTVs. This is why people like me think HDTV is rediculously expensive. You'd think since HDTV is thinner and lighter, it should be cheaper and easier to make. I guess companies like to rip people off.

Wow... where to even start... first... everything is not going HD in 2009. Everything is going DIGITAL. Any SDTV w/ a DIGITAL tuner in it will be fine. You don't need to have high def and sometimes not even a converter box as long as your tv (including standard definition) has a DTV tuner in it... if it doesn't thats where subscribing to cable/sat comes in or getting a converter box.

Next... to the TV's at bestbuy... which most one the ones you picked aren't even avaliable in the stores... only online. Where you don't get as good of a deal...

I'll give you that dynex pretty much sucks... however insignia really isn't that bad and gives a pretty decent picture... especially for the price. All it is last years LG... and guess what... LG owns phillips who are also partners/friends with magnavox etc...

So your pretty much spending a ton more for the same TV like an LG... just a current model (which may have better color contrast, but not by much.) The only "good" tv by your definition on that list may be the sharp... and thats iffy at best.

Also that last sharp on your list is an EDTV (480p)... which are a waste. Also the 26" Sony and Samsung are where the 600-700 bucks start coming into effect... but once again... they are 6 inches bigger than what were talking about.

Now to your size thing... did you even read my post... I pretty much said the exact same thing.

Now on to price... they may be ligher and smaller... but just like with LCD monitors... the materials and cost in producing these materials is a ton higher than making a tube tv.

Edited by shockz

Doli    545

If anyone wants to give me some money then I wont think HDTV are that expensive. Anyone? Come on people, pay it forward.

+Troll    67

As for the power consumption - my 61" HDTV uses less power than my 36" CRT - and weighs have as much too :)

Heck, it uses less power than my old 19" CRT monitor...

And it has nothing to do with DTV (although many stores and salespeople may try to convince you otherwise) since the overwhelming majority of people have either cable or satellite - 85% according to govt statistics.

Cormier6083    0

Well, for many people, $800-1000 can afford them a gallon of gas... so there you go.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Well, for many people, $800-1000 can afford them a gallon of gas... so there you go.

Cycle to work for a while :rofl:

TV's aren't the cheapest things in life, but they're hardly the most expensive.

Saving up monthly for a while would get most people an HDTV in a decent length of time - Problem is people will whine about cash, and the main problem isn't that they can't put a little aside, it's that they're not disciplined enough and will spend the cash on anything, instead of saving it.

DaDude    46
If anyone wants to give me some money then I wont think HDTV are that expensive. Anyone? Come on people, pay it forward.

Well said. I agree. Anyone wanna give me some money.

Problem is people will whine about cash, and the main problem isn't that they can't put a little aside, it's that they're not disciplined enough and will spend the cash on anything, instead of saving it.

I am putting a lot of money aside and saving a lot. I'm saving $600+ by not buying an HDTV and still using my SDTV that still works fine. And you're right, we should save money. Now imagine how much more money we can save by not buying useless stuff. When it comes to a point where my TV breaks, then I'll buy an HDTV. Right now, my old CRT works very well with no problems after so many years. I'll worry about an HDTV when I need one. Right now, I don't need one so I will take my money, "put it aside" and "save it."

dreamz    4

i don't watch enough television or care enough about picture quality to think that the newer televisions are worth it.

Brandon    297

I picked up an olivia 26" LCD HDTV over winter for $250 and I love it!

DaDude    46
I picked up an olivia 26" LCD HDTV over winter for $250 and I love it!

Olivia!! Never heard of that brand. Hehe. You ain't gonna have that TV for long.

shakey_snake    1
Olivia!! Never heard of that brand. Hehe. You ain't gonna have that TV for long.

Well, it's Olevia and they make very good sets.

You've already proven in your thread you don't know a whole lot about HDTV, so getting this wrong shouldn't be a surprise to you.

bangbang023    31

Olevia is one of the more well known budget brands. Calm yourself.

DaDude    46
Well, it's Olevia and they make very good sets.

You've already proven in your thread you don't know a whole lot about HDTV, so getting this wrong shouldn't be a surprise to you.

Well, I never heard of either of those brands. And it was Brandon who originally spelled it as "Olivia."

I do know all there is to know about HDTV. Sharper picture, more pixels, better colors, and flatter design. HDMI > Component > S-Video > Composite. Yes, the picture is better than an SDTV. The image is lifelike. But this thread already covered my reasons for not getting one. They're too expensive. If a decent sized SDTV costs $200 or less while HDTVs cost $800+ for a decent size, I'd go with the SDTVs. My wallet is not willing to lose that much weight.

ViperAFK    797
Well, I never heard of either of those brands. And it was Brandon who originally spelled it as "Olivia."

I do know all there is to know about HDTV. Sharper picture, more pixels, better colors, and flatter design. HDMI > Component > S-Video > Composite. Yes, the picture is better than an SDTV. The image is lifelike. But this thread already covered my reasons for not getting one. They're too expensive. If a decent sized SDTV costs $200 or less while HDTVs cost $800+ for a decent size, I'd go with the SDTVs. My wallet is not willing to lose that much weight.

I got a 26 " LCD for $320 on sale at best buy and it's plenty big. You just gotta shop around a bit.