10 things the Xbox 360 does wrong

We love the Xbox 360. We really do. It has top games, a great online service, and it’s reasonably priced. In fact, last week we identified the 10 things the Xbox 360 does right. Yet we are not blind to its faults. There are many things it does wrong – dead wrong. Rising from a sea of quibbles are the following ten complaints. Serious complaints.

If Microsoft is to realise its grand corporate vision of total media dominance, then it’s going to have to stop doing things wrong, and start doing them right.

These ten points would be a great place to start.

1. Mass storage

This was a giant leap backwards for the Xbox 2.0 – baffling, and widely decried. The first Xbox had an internal HDD as standard, and that was great. There was just the one SKU that all developers could optimise their software for.

By making the hard drive an optional extra, Microsoft threw the development community into disarray.

The ability to cache data to the hard drive, taken for granted on the previous generation, was scuttled. Hence an avalanche of development headaches, all felt acutely by the end consumer: texture pop-in, long loading times… it’s painful to watch.

Oh, but it gets worse. You’re only allowed to have a single hard drive per system – you can’t swap them around like memory sticks. If you choose to upgrade from the 20 gig to the 120 gig model, you need to use a special cable and a special process that involves formatting the original drive. Having two is taboo.

Compared to the PS3, where the hard drive is standard, and can be swapped out for any HDD you can buy from a shop (just the thing for chunky DLC), mass storage on the 360 is an embarrassment.

2. It crashes and it dies

This is the billion-dollar question. How could Microsoft get this so very, very wrong? The dreaded Red Ring of Death effect indicates a fundamental engineering failure – through ordinary use, the 360 gets hotter than its designers expected. Hence the high failure rate. Hence the mortal dread gamers feel when those red LEDs glow.

The moving parts don’t work as they should. A DVD that provokes corrupted visuals and/or system failure when viewed in a 360 will typically work just fine in a PS3. This console quantifiably can’t play discs as well as the competition. And while it doesn’t gouge circular grooves into every disc you put in it, this has happened to enough people for it to be a serious issue.

3. Noise

Let’s not forget those noisy, noisy fans, firing-up as the tasks given the machine get more complex. We are constantly surprised when users tell us that they don’t notice the sound, or don’t find it an issue. Clearly they haven’t enjoyed the blissful serenity of the console’s competitors.

While the machine can, technically, play DVD movies, it’s one of the worst possible ways to do it. The noise generated can drown out the dialogue. The same is true for games, detracting massively from the whole experience.

Similar to a dripping tap, the noise of the 360 is a splinter in the mind’s eye. And nothing is worse than an itch you can never scratch.

4. You have to ‘sign in’ with controllers

A second person wants to play? No worries! Just turn on another controller. No, wait – you have to turn on the controller, then press that funny button on both the console and the joypad to synchronise. Then you can sign in. Why do you need to sign in at all? You just do. It’s how it’s done.

Another all-too-common scenario: you want to boot up and play some Halo. But the controller doesn’t work! What’s going on? Oh, that’s right, you played some Guitar Hero last night, and you didn’t log out with the guitar controller. You can hardly play Halo with a guitar, so this triggers another log-out/log-in rigmarole. Sheesh.

Our eyes glaze over just thinking about it. Signing in with controllers is a colossal pain. Why do you even need a ‘profile’ at all?

5. Its UI is vulgar

Both the PS3 and the Wii have simple, elegant casings, and minimalist, purely functional menus. The Wii menus in particular are quite soothing to use – ambient music plays gently, and gentle chimes meet button presses. Even when you turn it off, it’s not like someone yanking a power cord. Instead, the screen gently fades to black.

Compare that to the 360’s menus, which look like something from a televised lottery segment. Harsh colours, a faux metallic sheen, and an overall attitude that screams out: “ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?!”

The competition set out to create an agreeable psychological state in the user. The 360 seeks to blow him away. It’s like someone writes you an email in ALL CAPS. IT SEEMS LIKE THEY’RE SHOUTING.

Once your eyes adjust, it’s no longer impressive. Instead, it’s kind of embarrassing.

5a. Faceplates

Who in the world cares about faceplates? They take a moderately sleek and modern unit of home entertainment gear, and turn it into a Fisher Price novelty item. Faceplates are ****.

6. Wi-Fi costs extra

A lot extra. Like, AU$170 extra. If you don’t care for Wi-Fi, this isn’t a big deal. If you do, then it is… and more people are on a daily basis.

This also ties into point 5. Because the Wi-Fi adapter is an add-on unit, it means you’ve got one more dust-gathering, oddly-shaped gizmo in your living room. One more thing to trip over. One more prong for cords to get tangled around. And considering Wi-Fi is built into the PS3, and thus avoiding all these problems, one more black mark against the 360.

7. Multiple SKUs

The only thing the Core system ever had going for it was a slightly lower failure rate, seeing as the Premium systems were manufactured first. Even as the cost of hard drives continues to plummet, Microsoft continues to churn out new and discless systems, with the ‘Arcade’ unit the Core’s successor. Seriously, WTF?

To make one SKU without a hard drive can be put down to misfortune. To be make two begins to look like carelessness.

This also ties into point 10. You can look ahead if you want. We won’t consider it cheating.

8. Format lock-in

Want to stream movies to your 360? Then you’ll need Windows XP Media Centre Edition. Or Windows Vista. If you run Linux, Mac OS, or Vanilla XP like a normal person, then you’re fresh out of luck. Of course, you’ve probably come up with your own solution for streaming video to your telly that bypasses the Xbox 360 completely. Either way, Microsoft has failed to sell you on the idea of using console as a universal media hub.

It remains a games machine, segregated from your other home entertainment gear by Microsoft’s arbitrary walls of product exclusivity.

9. Xbox Live costs money

Internet play doesn’t cost anything on the PS3. Granted, the service isn’t as good. But 80-odd bucks a year is a lot of money for some. And, just perhaps, more than the service is worth.

9a. Wallpapers and themes cost money.

We’re accustomed to paying for video games. We know that they cost tens of millions of dollars to make, and that most games never turn a profit anyway. Paying for games is fair. But desktop wallpapers? A bloody jpeg?! Most of us would have, oh, around 1000 desktops on our PCs, maybe more. Net cost? Zilch.

It makes as much sense as the federal government taxing you for the air you breathe.

10. Sheer bloody-mindedness

This is more a case of what Microsoft does wrong than the console itself, but the point is still valid. In many ways, the Xbox line has brought out the worst of Microsoft’s well-earned reputation for corporate duplicity. This extends to self-delusion. Desktop users of the world were not enamoured of Windows 2000, ME, or Vista, yet they have been pushed to the hilt regardless. So too with Rare. Its acquisition cost Microsoft ten times what Bungie did, and that premium has bought a handful of console exclusives; poor-selling, and consistently scoring (or deserving) 7s and 8s.

In the one-eyed world of the console wars, it’s easy to forget how normal businesses do things. Any rational listed company would have sold, down-sized, or dismantled Rare by now. With Banjo Kazooie 3 nowhere in sight, even the most bullish Microsoft shareholders must be asking serious questions. Specifically, about what the heads of the Xbox division think they’re doing.

Well, there you have it. It’s not a pretty picture. But it’s not like the 360 is the only console with problems. Be sure to check out our article from yesterday.

Read the list: http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/FEATURES...36-05c6682bdfb4

PS3Top10 - https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=605310

Thoughts?

Edited by Audioboxer

Some of it is crap.

Like the hard drive thing. it's just a standard 2.5" drive in an enclosure.. it can be easily swapped out.

some good points some bad.

The UI is not vulgar, personally i dont like the PS3 UI that much seen as tho i have had more time now to mess about with it, for PSP the xmb was perfect its small and portable but for PS3 i dont think it was the best choice, what the hell thats my opinion though.

Some of it is crap.

Like the hard drive thing. it's just a standard 2.5" drive in an enclosure.. it can be easily swapped out.

No it can't be.

ps. Piracy check the PS3 top10. They aren't biased, they are just brutal all round :p

Agree to pretty much all of them, just the faceplate one i dont agree, i mean it comes to personal choice. If you want your console neat then dont use faceplates, its not like they are forcing you to use an awful multicolored faceplate.

And on the Rare note, i feel exactly the same way as them, i mean WTF, Rare used to push some of my favorites games of all time, then Microsoft bought it and well, im just gonna say it... Perfect Dark Zero :(

No it can't be.

ps. Piracy check the PS3 top10. They aren't biased, they are just brutal all round :p

Oh ok ill let you off then :)

1. Mass storage

Agreed. Should have come standard and it would make loading times decrease. Also agree with the flimsy 20GB on the original and the outrageous upgrade costs for the 120gb

2. It crashes and it dies

They have a 3 yr warranty against it, Ive never had a problem and they now have a Falcon system which is 65nm which is supposed to help

3. Noise

Agreed herw.

4. You have to ?sign in? with controllers

Never had a problem here. You only have to connect when you get a new controller

5. Its UI is vulgar

Agreed that it is too flashy

5a. Faceplates

Eh, I have a blue faceplate so...

6. Wi-Fi costs extra

Well I dont know how you can trip over it but... I just a game bridge I got for $15, no where near the 100 for the official and it works perfectly

7. Multiple SKUs

What about the 40 and 80gb PS3?

8. Format lock-in

You don't need media center on XP, you can get other software to do it.

9. Xbox Live costs money

Agreed to an extent. I don't feel my $50 is really justified, maybe $30/yr

9a. Wallpapers and themes cost money.

Totally Agreed

And for the record, I didn't buy the 360 to complain, I bought it to play games. This is the first major complaint I have about it... and I have no guilt/shame in making my feelings heard.

rest my case...

they state at the beginning that they love the 360 & have done an article about 10 things it does right. most of these are true though. dunno about the UI being vulgar, thats more down to personal taste

some of the more valid points are

-mass storage (i think this wouldnt be an issue if the price off the 20/120GB addons werent so high - obviously to make a profit)

-noise

-expensive WiFi addon - where ps3 & wii have them built in. actually, even psp, DS have them built in. the wifi adapter for the 360 is prob same price as a DS itself

Is that from Sony.com or what? So many lies, so many ridiculous claims.

The original 360s did not "overheat" really. It's just that over time the normal operational temperatures would warp the motherboard due to excessive pressure from the clamps. I'm not going to make excuses for them, but you had to admit it's a hard problem to find in lab testing. And they've worked very hard to make it right.

The UI is wonderful and totally blows away the Wii. I haven't really used the PS3 UI so can't comment.

The controller thing is utter BS. You do NOT have to press a button on the console when you activate a second controller. Lies, damn lies.

You do NOT need Media Center or Vista to stream videos (or music, or pictures) to the 360. It uses the open standard UPNP protocol to stream media, and works with several Mac and Linux solutions (not to mention Zune / WMC / Orb / TVersity / etc on non-Media Center versions of Windows). You only need Media Center if you want to use Media Center through the 360. Duh.

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to pay for WiFi that I'll never use. I have a wired connection. It's more reliable and faster (especially for streaming HD, good luck doing that on your PS3 over 802.11g). What bugs the hell out of me is that the Wii doesn't have ethernet.

I can't imagine a more misleading, grossly inaccurate list.

The hard drive can be swapped out, however, isn't there some sort of hardware check to see if it has a specific memory block or something?

2 has been taken care of.

4 is only a problem if you have an IQ under 50. Who cares about signing in? It takes 5 seconds. And you only need to re-sync the controller if you've connected it to a different system last.

I disagree with 5, not to mention it's subjective and really shouldn't be in a list like this, and 5a as well.

7 I don't see a problem with.

8 is flat-out incorrect, especially with the last update. If you install WMP 11 you can easily stream the widely used formats to your 360.

9 is stupid. It's ~$5 a month for an excellent service. 9a is even more retarded.

Crap article in my opinion.

rest my case...

Get outta my topic.

There is an article like this for both the PS3 and 360 - Thats why I posted. I expect Wii to come soon as well.

Stop trying to hit out at me everychance you get Spartan :/ :no:

The original 360s did not "overheat" really. It's just that over time the normal operational temperatures would warp the motherboard due to excessive pressure from the clamps. I'm not going to make excuses for them, but you had to admit it's a hard problem to find in lab testing. And they've worked very hard to make it right.

The UI is wonderful and totally blows away the Wii. I haven't really used the PS3 UI so can't comment.

The controller thing is utter BS. You do NOT have to press a button on the console when you activate a second controller. Lies, damn lies.

You do NOT need Media Center or Vista to stream videos (or music, or pictures) to the 360. It uses the open standard UPNP protocol to stream media, and works with several Mac and Linux solutions (not to mention Zune / WMC / Orb / TVersity / etc on non-Media Center versions of Windows). You only need Media Center if you want to use Media Center through the 360. Duh.

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to pay for WiFi that I'll never use. I have a wired connection. It's more reliable and faster (especially for streaming HD, good luck doing that on your PS3 over 802.11g).

whoa, relax a bit.. theyre not out there trying to destroy your beloved 360.

you are right about the controllers & UPnP functionality, but they have several valid points

you dont have to pay for wifi you'll never use, but making it a $100+ addon? come on, the $250 wii has it built in, as does a PSP, DS which themselves go for $100-150

i've got a 360 & PS3, and i do use ethernet for both (with a 1gbps connection for streaming HD to my ps3)

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to pay for WiFi that I'll never use. I have a wired connection. It's more reliable and faster (especially for streaming HD, good luck doing that on your PS3 over 802.11g). What bugs the hell out of me is that the Wii doesn't have ethernet.

What about Rare :( , are you telling me they have pushed quality software since M$ aquired it?

Their games in the Nintendo era were instant classics, nowadays they only release subpar titles, i mean how could they get Perfect Dark so wrong, and Viva pinata, i dont know, i bought it and had to sell it instantly, maybe im just not the target audience for it.

What about Rare :( , are you telling me they have pushed quality software since M$ aquired it?

Their games in the Nintendo era were instant classics, nowadays they only release subpar titles, i mean how could they get Perfect Dark so wrong, and Viva pinata, i dont know, i bought it and had to sell it instantly, maybe im just not the target audience for it.

Maybe Rare just ran out of good ideas, lost their talent, etc?

Plus, I thought Kameo was brilliant. It's my favorite game of that style since Zelda 64 (OoT).

Maybe Rare just ran out of good ideas, lost their talent, etc?

Plus, I thought Kameo was brilliant. It's my favorite game of that style since Zelda 64 (OoT).

Lol i totally forgot about that game, i finished it and it was good but forgetable, what really kept me coming back were the graphics, i had never seen anything like it at that time. I remember drooling over it.

didn't know Neowin had a forum owner... :rolleyes:

I own nothing, I was asking you to leave as it seems you won't be contributing anything worthwhile?

Will you be Spartan?

10 things the XBox360 does right

1. Mass storage

Using a modular HDD system allowing peopel with less money to buy a cheaper SKU without the HDD, and it's extrmely easy to install and nothign can go wrong, as opposed to using a "standard" HDD with an ID or SATA cable and power and screws... Brilliant way to make things easy for the average joe customer.

And Devs are still able to fully utilize the HDD to cache and speed up loading to minizie texture streaming delays or loading delays when the HDD is there. It requires minmal amount of coding to use the API's to detect if it's there and to either have or not have these cache features.

2. Crash issues

MS really did a brillient job taking care of their customers and fixing the problems with the 3RROD problem, making what was a negativ into a big positive. instead of following the ootprints of other console manufatcurers and just denying there is a problem and only compensate those who partake in Clas actionlawsuits

3. Noise

The noise fromt he early models have also been fixed with the new models, MS really shows they listen to their customers. not that the noise was a big deal when you're actually playing the box anyway. either you have the volume higher or you use headsets, either way you can't hear the noise on the early models when you actually use them.

4. You have to ?sign in? with controllers

The 360 makes use of profiles, so your friend can sign in on your box, and when they get their own box, they can make their profile live aware on your box, and just recover it on their own new xbox, BRILLIANT. all stats are still right there when they continue to play PGR4 against yo on their own consol5. UI

The UI not only looks good, but works smooth, mking it a pelasure to use the xbox, and it's not some ugly thing you're ashamed to have on you're screen. Animation is smooth and it works on all resultions with a logical layout usable by anyone. Witht helatest Update MS again showed how they listen to customers and improved speed on the UI to be as fats and smooth as you'd ever want it to b5a. Faceplates

Great idea for those who wish to customize their console, not for everyone. but for the kids and such who wish to add some identity to their console they can "skin" it extremely easy with thes6. Don't have to pay for Wi-Fi

Unlike other consoles WiFi is optional and you don't have to pay fo built in WiFi unless you need ot and plan to use it. if you're streamign media Wifi isn't a good idea anyway, so why pay extra for i7. Multiple SKUs

Great idea allowing those who can't aford to pay for the top of the line model to buy on they can afford, and eery part that's not in the basic/arcade SKU are modular parts that can be added on. Unlike other consoles who saw it was a good idea to have multiple SKU's and have cheaper models who chose to remove hardware so there are parts you can't even get back on the cheaper SKU'8. Format support

Full support for either MEdi Center Extender, giving you a whole host of fucntionality of you got a computer with Vista or a MCE edition of windows.

in addition it also has full support for UPnP media streaming ad can stream media from WMP11, TVersity, Winamp or any other UPnP compliant software/device. Fall update also added support for the most popular codecs such as DivX/XviD and MP4 nativel9. Xbox Live costs money

By chargign for XboX live not only does MS provide a the best premium gaming service, but you also filter out some of the trash from the service. It's also a fairly strong incentive to kep peopl from cheating/glitching in games as their account can and will be banne9a. Wallpapers and themes cost money.

With tons of free Themes for the dashoard, premium themes created by artists and game companies who otherwise wouldn't bother to kmake nice themes are available to be bought. making money on micro transactions have proved a great incentiv for more comanies to make great dashboard theme10. Microsoft Cares about their customers.

Microsoft have shown again and again that they care and listen to their customers by continually impoving not only the software of the 360 but also adding on new fetres such as HDMI. Where there have been issues with certain DVD drives casuing scratches o the 3RROD issue, MS have taken responsibility and even offered 3 year warranty. Even with the steering wheel they offered replacement parts before anyone even knew there was a problem, compare this to a certain other ompany who won't even admit there a problem after they lose class action lawsuits.

You sound like someone just insulted your child. In my opinion, its entertaining.

10 things the XBox360 does right

Snip

A giant +1

I can't take the original article seriously when they actually put 'faceplates' in there, as if the fact that others have faceplates even effects them.

-Spenser

rest my case...

He was just posting a news article and he also posted the top 10 things wrong with PS3 it's not like he's bashing the 360.

Yeah I agree that not all of the article is right but it does have some good points.

All units should have a hard drive, and I don't mind having to buy the Microsoft official drive but $179 for 120GB is way too much... I can get a 120GB hard drive for $69 and if Microsoft ordered them in large numbers they would get a huge discount. The little plastic casing around the hard drive costs next to nothing. So I'd be willing to pay... $69 for it. Microsoft would make some money off of it and I'd be getting it for the same price I could.

Who ever said noise is fixed in the newer systems is wrong... I have a system that was made in mid august and it's still extremely loud. 6% of the time the noise doesn't matter but late at night when I'm playing I can't hear a lot of voies in game and if I turn anything up any more I disturb my family. So basically if it's night I mostly play games that don't have talking or have subtitles. :p