10 things the Xbox 360 does wrong

10 things the XBox360 does right

1. Mass storage

Using a modular HDD system allowing peopel with less money to buy a cheaper SKU without the HDD, and it's extrmely easy to install and nothign can go wrong, as opposed to using a "standard" HDD with an ID or SATA cable and power and screws... Brilliant way to make things easy for the average joe customer.

And Devs are still able to fully utilize the HDD to cache and speed up loading to minizie texture streaming delays or loading delays when the HDD is there. It requires minmal amount of coding to use the API's to detect if it's there and to either have or not have these cache features.

yes, great idea, but a 20GB addon at $130cdn or 120GB addon at $220cdn? with "standard" hdd like the ps3 theres no cables to worry about. remove the screws, and slide in any 2.5" sata drive. i can grab a 160GB for under 100cdn.

of course, most people for either console will never touch or change the hdd.

6. Don't have to pay for Wi-Fi

Unlike other consoles WiFi is optional and you don't have to pay fo built in WiFi unless you need ot and plan to use it. if you're streamign media Wifi isn't a good idea anyway, so why pay extra for it.

your right, wifi is optional, at $130cdn. for a few $$ more i could even buy a psp or DS which have wifi built in. clearly its nice to have a choice, but its obvious that these "choices" (wifi, hdd) are just ways to make more profit.

i really think wifi is such a low cost addon for sony/MS to add in mass production. i liked the 20GB/60GB choice in terms of the PS3 (which they now removed). i didnt need wifi or media card reader, so i saved $150cdn and bought the 20GB model

8. Format support

Full support for either MEdi Center Extender, giving you a whole host of fucntionality of you got a computer with Vista or a MCE edition of windows.

in addition it also has full support for UPnP media streaming ad can stream media from WMP11, TVersity, Winamp or any other UPnP compliant software/device. Fall update also added support for the most popular codecs such as DivX/XviD and MP4 natively.

i agree 100% on that one

i do own a 360, and love it. great games, interface, Live, and all the media options are awesome to have. theres nothing bad about having a few things "wrong" with a console though..

Just thought of something else the 360 does "wrong".. or maybe i should say another way MS can make more of a profit.

i've had my 360 for a year. gave it to my brother, and bought one just recently with the hdmi onboard. i use hdmi to the TV, and optical audio to a receiver. of course you cant do this on the 360 w/hdmi because the ports are so close to each other. now i have to drop $60cdn on a special adapter & hdmi cable so i can use both at the same time.

at the end of the day its not a huge deal, but another area where with my ps3 it was easier - i was able to plug in both hdmi & optical audio at the same time.

Eh...I think that the new fall update smoothed a lot of problems out. Yeah the 360 had some major problems in the beginning, but overall they've fixed almost everything. The most glaring problems left (hard drive, wireless, and HD-DVD drive) were setup to offer users a choice. If you don't want to pay $84 for a wireless adapter...use Craigslist.

1. Mass storage

Aye, other than the design flaws causing RROD's/DVD faults, this is probably the biggest thing MS did wrong. I know they wanted a cheaper console and maybe it worked but texture popup/framerate problems on some games really do suck

2. It crashes and it dies

This is due to MS rushing the system to market. Its worked in that its gained massive market share over the PS3 but I can't help feeling that it was rushed. I'm lucky in that I've had mine over a year with no problems (touches wood) MS denying it for so long was down right pathetic however and I'm somewhat disappointed they was never took to court over it, if only as an added incentive not to wait so long in future

3. Noise

Tis annoying ya, especially when I've worked to get my PC as quiet as possible then to go to a loud console. Putting cheapass DVD drives in as well didn't help. But generally during a game you can tune it out, still annoying tho

4. You have to ?sign in? with controllers

Never really had this other than setting up new controllers, doesn't bother 5. Its UI is vulgar

I prefer it to the XMB of the ps3 so I disagree h

5a. Faceplates

aye pointless, looks stupid when the rest of the console is wh

6. Wi-Fi costs extra

Not fussed, keeps the cost down. I've never ever used the wi-fi in my ps3. Doesn't affect normal running of the console unlike the lack of a H7. Multiple SKUs

No problem with this, again a HDD should have been standard with all and then the wireless controller/bigger HD with the more expensive one8. Format lock-in

Couldn't care les9. Xbox Live costs money

If I started on a rant about this, I'd end up in yet another flame war on the subject so I'm not going to get in depth, needless to say I disagree with the cost9a. Wallpapers and themes cost money.

Stupid I agree

They are extremely biased against the XBOX360. What a crap article. Some points are slightly true though.

yes because pointing out the 360's faults automatically means they are biased against :rolleyes:yes:

I agree with everything completely except for #5 -- I love the UI, for the most part. Faceplates I don't care either way for, too, so I don't care about that point.

The only one I really agree with is the noise, but it usually isn't too much of an issue unless you're at a quiet point in the game. Geez, there sure has been a lot of anti-360 sentiment on this site as of late.

Oh, but it gets worse. You’re only allowed to have a single hard drive per system – you can’t swap them around like memory sticks.

Entirely untrue.

They should have done a hard drive in every system, I agree. But that part is just plain wrong. Obviously certain things ain't gonna work but I've been able to do plenty with a 'swapped' drive, I take it back home and it's still fine.

Desktop users of the world were not enamoured of Windows 2000

:laugh:

Everyone loved 2000. And Vista will not be seen as the devil like ME was either, even XP had a crappy welcome.

1. Mass storage

Should be standard and bigger than 20gb.....the price for the 120gb is a rip off

2. It crashes and it dies

The 3 yr warranty is a joke, you don't buy a console so you can get it fixed later

3. Noise

Horrible

4. You have to ?sign in? with controllers

Never tried

5. Its UI is vulgar

Not a fan of the UI

5a. Faceplates

Dumb idea

6. Wi-Fi costs extra

would be ok if the wireless adapter was 20-45$ but they charge WAY too much for it

7. Multiple SKUs

Should only have one

8. Format lock-in

They should have a basic software for mac and linux

9. Xbox Live costs money

they charge too much for something that should be free.......im not renewing mine since i haven't used it since the summer

9a. Wallpapers and themes cost money.

Dumbest thing i ever heard....i can't believe people are paying money for that crap

9. Xbox Live costs money

they charge too much for something that should be free.......im not renewing mine since i haven't used it since the summer

"Offline for 7 Days"

rest my case...

What case is that? You make it seem like he wrote the article himself. He did not. Pretty much end of story right there.

But let me elaborate and and remind you, articles entitled "Analyst Predicts PS3 Behind in 2012" can easily also be perceived as anti said console, but you obviously have no problem sharing articles like that yourself.

So please do not have a problem when someone may happen to post what can be perceived as Anti 360 news (when in reality it is just an article which BTW he also did happen to post in the Sony Section Top 10 things wrong with the PS3) when you tend to do the same exact thing in the Sony section itself.

You both have the right to post whatever you want. So if you want to try and discredit someone else for doing the same exact thing you do, perhaps you should consider either to stop doing it yourself or next time perhaps keeping your comments to yourself.

I know they did it for PS3 also, but the list seems so trivial, like they're grasping at straws. It seemed like this was the real list they wanted:

10 things the Xbox 360 does wrong

1. It plays games better than the PS3. Don't they know that Sony is superior? They're not supposed to look better than Sony!

2. They came out before the PS3. It's not fair that MS got their s**t together and released the console. They should've waited for the PS3s release so things would be more fair. After all Sony did say the next generation doesn't start until they say so.

3. The corners are too rounded and dull. We're so emo but we can't cut ourselves on the Xbox... :cry:

And so on... :p

I know they did it for PS3 also, but the list seems so trivial, like they're grasping at straws. It seemed like this was the real list they wanted:

And so on... :p

:blink:

Go read the Sony list, they are just as down and dirty with it if you ask me.

I don't agree with a few of the points there, although, there's one that isn't mentioned that is a big issue with me.

Anyone outside the US gets ripped off. Not only do they pay more for the console and games, Live costs nearly twice as much. We don't get any of the super promotions that the US get either.

101 top games are just shooters and PC ports.

102. the graphics are pretty weak (halo 3,bioshock ect).

Mass Effect, Forza 2, PGR4, Ace Combat 6, Assassin's Creed.

not shooters, not PC ports, and that's just the start. also use the same list for your second "point".''

Next time before you try to bas the 360, check what games it has, and go look at how they actually look.

Well there's nothing wrong with mine...afaik :p

-Spenser

Why, yes, of course, there is nothing wrong with your Xbox 360 or Spartan's Xbox 360. But I don't think there are many people with those magical 360s :)