10 things the Xbox 360 does wrong

^

Someone says "console x" is over-saturated with FPS games is an opinion.... even although it may be true for 1 person, another person may love FPS games and want more if you see what I mean.

Really what you guys should be doing is proving that opinion of "over-saturation" wrong/correct/or adding to it in someway with your own opinion.

Why the need to automatically go out your way to attack another consoles game selection, as oppposed to "defending" the console with the finger pointed at it? That's what we don't need, and what causes a war :no:

MGS4-SS says there is too many FPS games, and instead of discussing that matter you go and attack the PS3 lineup? :unsure:

I for one think every platform gets a fair share of FPS games, they are the easiest to make no doubt from a storyline POV, and lets be honest its a very popular genre.

I enjoy alot of the FPS games, i wouldn't want them to stop just because there is maybe slightly more of the genre this year than ever before, but it doesn't make the system bad! Hell most of them are quality games.

MGS4-SS says there is too many FPS games, and instead of discussing that matter you go and attack the PS3 lineup? :unsure:

Sorry Audio, MGS-SS just attacked the XBOX360 Lineup so ermm.... Again i like FPS so it doesnt not bother me too much even if there is more of that genre this year than in previous years.

I have a 360 and most of the points make sense. Plus with it being a list of the top 10 bad points its not going to be complimentary.

Ive had one die. The fan / drive noise drives me mad sometimes. The hard drive should be used by all games, would probably help mass effect a lot.

Sod the UI or faceplates, thats personal preference.

I dont mind paying for Live, but there should be more free downloads, some free arcade games and themes would be nice.

All in all though Ive had nothing but fun with the Xbox 360, it has its downsides, but they are not deal breakers.

Also I can stream video from my Mac to my Xbox no problem. I dont however, I use an iPod video plugged into my TV to watch downloaded movies etc... DVD quality, easy to do and no fan noises.

^

Someone says "console x" is over-saturated with FPS games is an opinion.... even although it may be true for 1 person, another person may love FPS games and want more if you see what I mean.

Really what you guys should be doing is proving that opinion of "over-saturation" wrong/correct/or adding to it in someway with your own opinion.

Why the need to automatically go out your way to attack another consoles game selection, as oppposed to "defending" the console with the finger pointed at it? That's what we don't need, and what causes a war :no:

Audio, please, you're a sensible lad. You tell me what sense it makes to attack the 360 for having lots of FPS when so far it's the only thing that's kept the PS3 going and what Sony used to launch their console, and again use this xmas as one of their largest selling points.

Audio, please, you're a sensible lad. You tell me what sense it makes to attack the 360 for having lots of FPS when so far it's the only thing that's kept the PS3 going and what Sony used to launch their console, and again use this xmas as one of their largest selling points.

I don't think there is much sense in attacking the FPS games on the 360 at all. Please tell me where I said there was?

What I DID say was if someone attacks the lineup of games (FPS was the genre) on your console, it adds very little to go attack another consoles lineup in response - In effect all you are doing is the exact same as the person you are frustrated at to start with!

Don't you think it's better to counter posts like that with trying to prove them wrong/right/add to them by discussing OTHER titles on the PLATFORM with the finger pointed at?

For discussion sake it does... I guess im just tired of where this will go if each party starts the game of "your console sucks" as well.

IMO for what its worth, the 360 does have a good share of FPS games, but what doesn't - Most important thing is it DOES have lots of other styles of games - Only about 20-25% of my 360 collection is probably FPS games.

Buy what games you want people, no ones forcing you to own every FPS game released on your platform.

ps. Sod all of this, im away to play me some Eternal Sonata... AN RPG. Not an FPS ;)

Edited by Audioboxer

I don't think their is much sense in attacking the FPS games on the 360 at all. Please tell me where I said there was?

What I DID say was if someone attacks the lineup of games (FPS was the genre) on your console, it adds very little to go attack another consoles lineup - In effect all you are doing is the exact same as the person you are frustrated at to start with!

Don't you think it's better to counter posts like that with trying to prove them wrong/right/add to them by discussing OTHER titles on the PLATFORM with the finger pointed at?

I'm not saying you are attacking the 360 and FPS, MGS4-SS is, you have much more sense than to do something stupid like that mate.

I don't need to add to the discussion of other titles available when PiracyX as well as Hawkman named games. What MGS4-SS did was shoot it down and attack the number of alternative games to FPS. What does that add exactly? He made a shoddy comment about FPS on the 360, two members counter the arguement with games, and he still shoots it down. To get to the point, he's trolling and you know it.

I'm not saying you are attacking the 360 and FPS, MGS4-SS is, you have much more sense than to do something stupid like that mate.

I don't need to add to the discussion of other titles available when PiracyX has already named some, as well as Pheis. What MGS4-SS did was shoot it down and attack the number of alternative games to FPS. What does that add exactly? He made a shoddy comment about FPS on the 360, two members counter the arguement with games, and he still shoots it down. To get to the point, he's trolling and you know it.

Just don't get hung up on it mate, that's all I'm saying.

Trying to have a discussion with someone is fine, but if you feel you can't get through/are hitting a brick wall, sometimes it's best just to step back before things get too mental.

I guess im in quite a passive mood today after reading this article ( https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=605408 ) , as it's reminded me each console does something for it's owner, and even games/genres that don't rate as highly (in your opinion/or in the majority of the gaming communities opinion), may do something/have that spark for someone else out there - My individual opinion isn't the end all and be all, and never will be :no: (unless I work my way into Phil Harrisons position later in life - Then everything I say will be fact. :p)

ps. On the topic of Phil Harrison, anyone else find this disturbing? :laugh:

ph4men_by_whitesky.jpg

Edited by Audioboxer

What is your problem? There may be quite a few FPS games on the system yes, but there are other good games aswell like the ones HawkMan mentioned.

Others;

Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, GHIII etc. Please take your PS3 fanboyism elsewhere.

Yeah, I know, those are the only games I own.

And PS3 is in such a good position to point the finger at another console and it's selection of games eh? Or are you forgetting two of the top launch titles for the PS3 were a FPS and driving game (Resistance and Motorstorm). Oh sh*t, yeah that's right!

It's funny how when the 360 offers these titles, it's nothing more than being an over saturated console with shooting/sport genres, but the PS3 launches with two of the same and hey look, "innovation!!1!".

And this month, what are gamers looking forward to most on PS3? Oh yeah!, Unreal Tournament 3! Another shooter!

:rolleyes:

I really wouldn't know, since I don't own a PS3.

Sorry Audio, MGS-SS just attacked the XBOX360 Lineup so ermm.... Again i like FPS so it doesnt not bother me too much even if there is more of that genre this year than in previous years.

No, I just pointed out the obvious. The X360 lineup is over saturated with shooters (superb, mediocre, crappy shooters).

See, it doesn't bother you because you like FPS. But for people like me, the only other options are Mass Effect and Ace Combat 6.

And for FPS I've got my PC, so its much better.

I don't need to add to the discussion of other titles available when PiracyX as well as Hawkman named games. What MGS4-SS did was shoot it down and attack the number of alternative games to FPS. What does that add exactly? He made a shoddy comment about FPS on the 360, two members counter the arguement with games, and he still shoots it down. To get to the point, he's trolling and you know it.

If stating the evident is attacking the X360, then sorry to hurt your feelings.

1. With regard to the "can't have 2 drives" thing, isn't it possible to use an imaging tool (e.g. Acronis, Ghost, DriveImage) and do a low-level copy? I know old versions of PowerQuest Drive Image followed the partition table and copied every sector in the partition, data or not. Wouldn't something like that be able to clone a drive?

4. "Signing in" with controllers is a COLOSSAL pain in the ass. I don't have an Xbox, but I do have a Wii, and it does the same goddamn horrible thing. Happened to me playing Metroid Prime 3 when the batteries in my Wiimote died and I had to pop it back on that Nyko charger thing. On the Cube I could just swap Wavebird receivers. On the Wii there's some kind of stupid Bluetooth handshake thing that has to take place that, apparently, can't be done mid-game. Thank you so much Nintendo. And Microsoft, you should know better. It's a usability thing - the controller synching is an obstacle to a seamless user experience. Does Steve Jobs have to choke a bitch?

5. The UI: I've only played my friend's Xbox 360 a handful of times, but the UI didn't seem particularly grievously horrid. I mean, it's a game console. It's a toy. As nice as it would be to have a super-elegant interface, I half expect a game console to be kind of garish. The Wii is a good example of this. I would never, ever use a professional product with an interface like the Wii's, but for a game console (read: toy), I like it. I guess the PS2 had a somewhat slick interface, though, so...*shrug*.

5a. Faceplates always did seem like a lame money-grab to bring in the modding crowd. Except that the modding crowd are still going to do their own thing and will most likely eschew "the man" and his official, corporate-sponsored mods.

8. Format lock-in is pretty much the reason I don't own an Xbox. I've posted before about how I loathe the trojan-horse effort to push DirectX as "the only" game development platform, and this is right along the same lines. No, Microsoft, I do not want to use Windows Media Video. I also do not want to run Windows Anything. I don't like Vista. I don't like MCE. I don't like XP. I like Linux and I like Mac OS X. If you can't be bothered to implement standards in your console, I can't be bothered to go out to a store and give you my money.

Shadowmatt: Streaming from the Mac, you say? Interesting. What do you use to do it? Set up a stream in VLC?

9a. Charging for wallpaper/themes: While I find this disgusting, it's nothing new. Cell phone providers have been pulling this kind of crap for years and people apparently just roll over and take it. I don't much care about themes and wallpapers on a game machine, though, so it's kind of a non-issue to me.

Biggest reason I don't own one, though, is my massive backlog of unplayed PS2 games and the fact that if my PS2 dies, replacements can be had for...oh, say, $50.

Get outta my topic.
didn't know Neowin had a forum owner... :rolleyes:

Get off my internet.

What a garbage ass article. That thing had to have been written by someone who just hates MS and the 360. Ridiculous. I'm sorry Audio, but this was the most retarded thing you could've posted yesterday and you knew you would get chewed a new ******* for it.

That picture oh Phil Harrison is just begging to be photo shopped! :rofl:

New sig coming later today me thinks :D

Hawkman and PiracyX gave the name of some games which aren't FPS, and there is plenty more, and you still aren't happy.

To top it off, isn't MGS4 a shooter in the end? Albeit a TPS. Why don't we see you complaining then? Double standards me thinks..(N)

Edited by Frank
Removed Personal Insult

What a garbage ass article. That thing had to have been written by someone who just hates MS and the 360. Ridiculous. I'm sorry Audio, but this was the most retarded thing you could've posted yesterday and you knew you would get chewed a new ******* for it.

No it was written by someone who has things he/she doesn't like with the 360&PS3 (please see 10 things wrong with PS3 article...) and no doubt Wii aswell when an article is done.

Please don't belittle me like that when there is no reason to.

No console is perfect, and believe it or not people like to discuss the issues, even if minor, that they would like to see different on their platform - My proof? A lot of people posted in this topic in a decent/respectful manner saying why they agree/disagree from a personal standpoint on what the article said.

You? Well all you have done is make a mockery of yourself mate.

You know, discussing the downfalls, even if they are minor things like I said, can bring out good solutions for issues that affect people - It may be something the end user can do, or it may mean MS reading up on user feedback like this.

Simple fact is they're talking out their ass in jealoucy of the Xbox 360's instant success over the PS3. The first one is an absolute nitpack -- as are the other 80% of them. You can have two hard drives. Use one to store your movies on, and the other one for your game data. You may not be able to streamline them together depending on what you want to do, however, if you're using up the entire drive for things like game saves, your profile, gamer pictures, themes, game content, and the such, then you're not managing your space properly. I download a lot of game extras and I still have tons of space left on my HDD. Then you've got the 120GB drive you can pop in to watch your movies and such from. Space isn't so limited that you can't store your game content on the 20GB drive, and then swap in the 120GB drive when you want to watch your movies.

A few of the points were valid. However, I'm going to judge everything based on my experience. My console is extremely quiet, has never died on me in the 2 years I've had my Xbox 360, and I have never experienced any kind of technical issue that has caused a nuisance for me.

Besides, anyone who would use Wi-fi for a gaming system doesn't have a clue what's going on.

No it was written by someone who has things he/she doesn't like with the 360&PS3 (please see 10 things wrong with PS3 article...) and no doubt Wii aswell when an article is done.

Please don't belittle me like that when there is no reason to.

No console is perfect, and believe it or not people like to discuss the issues, even if minor, that they would like to see different on their platform - My proof? A lot of people posted in this topic in a decent/respectful manner saying why they agree/disagree from a personal standpoint on what the article said.

You? Well all you have done is make a mockery of yourself mate.

You know, discussing the downfalls, even if they are minor things like I said, can bring out good solutions for issues that affect people - It may be something the end user can do, or it may mean MS reading up on user feedback like this.

Sensitive-ass dude.

Simple fact is they're talking out their ass in jealoucy of the Xbox 360's instant success over the PS3. The first one is an absolute nitpack -- as are the other 80% of them. You can have two hard drives. Use one to store your movies on, and the other one for your game data. You may not be able to streamline them together depending on what you want to do, however, if you're using up the entire drive for things like game saves, your profile, gamer pictures, themes, game content, and the such, then you're not managing your space properly. I download a lot of game extras and I still have tons of space left on my HDD. Then you've got the 120GB drive you can pop in to watch your movies and such from. Space isn't so limited that you can't store your game content on the 20GB drive, and then swap in the 120GB drive when you want to watch your movies.

A few of the points were valid. However, I'm going to judge everything based on my experience. My console is extremely quiet, has never died on me in the 2 years I've had my Xbox 360, and I have never experienced any kind of technical issue that has caused a nuisance for me.

Besides, anyone who would use Wi-fi for a gaming system doesn't have a clue what's going on.

You just justified their article with what you just said mate :laugh:

You posted a slew of your opinions, and all their article is is a slew of opinions aswell (with sprinkled argubale "facts" kicking around as well)

It's just different as the person who posted the article is a gaming "journalist" who gets to write for a website and get their articles exposed, and you're sadly not in that position.

The main idea behind the topic was for people to discuss how they felt a) about the list and b) either add to it, or "remove" from it with their own opinions.

There is no jealously involved, and the sensible people out of all of us realise this article isn't ALL fact, some of it is opinions/preference

Simple fact is they're talking out their ass in jealoucy of the Xbox 360's instant success over the PS3.

That is a load of BS - As I've shown a PS3 article has been posted, feel free to discuss it here - https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=605310

No one in the PS3 forum seems to have a problem with the topic, and I'm sure they would be happy to hear everyones input.

Sensitive-ass dude.

I'm sensitive against people posting crap in my topics. Ends up getting them locked/turned into drivel.

Why should you blame me? You shouldn't. At least I give a damn (Y)

That picture oh Phil Harrison is just begging to be photo shopped! :rofl:

New sig coming later today me thinks :D

Hawkman and PiracyX gave the name of some games which aren't FPS, and there is plenty more, and you still aren't happy.

To top it off, isn't MGS4 a shooter in the end? Albeit a TPS. Why don't we see you complaining then? Double standards me thinks..(N)

See, you're missing the point. Its obvious that there are other types of games in the X360 apart from shooters. My argument is that the vast majority are FPS! Never did I say that the only games on the X360 were only FPS.

Yes, MGS4 is a shooter. But here comes the good part, MGS4 is coming to a console where the majority of its games are not... wait for it... wait for it... shooters!

Double standards? Maybe if the argument was another.

So there, you fail yet again.

Edit: Maybe it would clear things up to get in the same notion as I am. The majority of playable games on the X360 are shooters, and by playable, I mean worth playing.

Edited by Frank

Connect360...well I'll be damned. I assume you have to pay for it, though? (regardez le sig)

Yup its $20, they also do a great PSP app for macs.

As I see it, when you buy a mac you have to know that you have to be very choosy when buying hardware / software.

Being on unix there are 100's of little apps that do anything you could which, blackberry syncing, windows mobile syncing etc... CUPs for older printing. Apache / PHP / MySQL for web development. Tons of really useful apps. Sourceforge is always a good place to look. The Little Snitch firewall is a must have.

Anyway my point, I dont mind giving $20 here and there to get great little apps that integrate into OSX and expand its usability. I could also get an Apple TV to do the same thing I suppose :-), or just use frontrow and a HDMI cable.

See, you're missing the point. Its obvious that there are other types of games in the X360 apart from shooters. My argument is that the vast majority are FPS! Never did I say that the only games on the X360 were only FPS.

Yes, MGS4 is a shooter. But here comes the good part, MGS4 is coming to a console where the majority of its games are not... wait for it... wait for it... shooters!

Double standards? Maybe if the argument was another.

So there, you fail yet again.

Edit: Maybe it would clear things up to get in the same notion as I am. The majority of playable games on the X360 are shooters, and by playable, I mean worth playing.

The PS3 doesn't have more shooters than other genres huh? That's what you really think? You have no idea dude, and it shows. At least buy the console first before you come into these sort of arguements next time please. I haven't failed at anything here,, but you've clearly shown everyone your lack of knowledge of both consoles and games available on them.

@Huleboeren - your post is absolutely ridiculous, given that I think one person mentioned Sony, and I'm sure he didn't actually mean that he thought Sony wrote it :rolleyes:

-Spenser

I count 3 - piracyX, brandon, ironman

You know, the usual :p

Anyways, my opinion

1. Mass storage

Wouldve been nice with a non-proprietary harddrive - or more sizes to choose from that dont cost a buttload!

2. It crashes and it dies

Has been fixed since launch - but there are still ~10mill x360s out there that dont have the new heatsinks(?) out there

3. Noise

Greatly improved since launch - but there are still ~10mill x360s out there that are crap loud :p

Im psychic - I know the number is correct :laugh:

4. You have to ?sign in? with controllers

What's the poin5. Its UI is vulgar

Meh, its okay to me

Once your eyes adjust, it?s no longer impressive. Instead, it?s kind of embarra5a. Faceplatesates

They look horrible - either have a full plate covering all of the X360 or just dont 6. Wi-Fi costs extraxtra

Perhaps this could have been integrated in the larger SKUs but left out in the arca7. Multiple SKUsSKUs

Multiple SKUs are great - but the harddrive should have been mandatory in all of8. Format lock-ink-in

Im pretty sure it can be done without MCE/Vista

9. Xbox Live costs moneyoney

All you get for that money is

- play online on servers ms does not host

- able to invite people to your game

*prepares to be flamed*

Almost rest of the features are already in:/ilver :/

Id rather pay for:

- Get demos ealier than silver accounts(2-3days, but then again, I can see how that would not make it worth to upgrade to gold)

- Priority bandwidth on marketplace

- (small) discount on content

- Participate in more betas9a. Wallpapers and themes cost money.ney.

Its a friggin theme/wallpaper! MS should require that developers do not charge for 10. Sheer bloody-mindednessness

Rare rings a bell - heard it before. But cant remember what t:py did :p

or just use frontrow and a HDMI cable.

That's actually my setup. My old G4, 4 massive hard drives, a DVI-->HDMI cable, and CenterStage as a menu system. Good stuff, though it struggles with 720p and 1080i/p is out of the question. The CPU muscle of the Xbox or PS3 would be nice in that respect, but I have a G5 quad with a 1920x1080 monitor, so I don't feel too deprived.

It's also probably why the noise of the Xbox wouldn't bother me that much. The G5 puts out some jet-engine decibels when its procs are operating under a heavy load and the fans have to kick in (though it's whisper-quiet otherwise), and the G4 is just plain LOUD.

On the Wii there's some kind of stupid Bluetooth handshake thing that has to take place that, apparently, can't be done mid-game. Thank you so much Nintendo.

That isn't true at all. I've swapped batteries mid-game many times, and synced brand new controllers to the console mid-game twice - the game recognized the controllers every time without restarting.