Proud Owner of D200

So i went out and decided that i needed a camera upgrade.

I have a D50 and went into jessops and decided it's time to upgrade.

So at first i looked at the D80 but after speaking with a few people in the shop and others in other shops they all said it's a case of will you be looking to upgrade again in a year or so and i thought hard and said i might.

They said well try the D200

After trying it i loved it, more than i loved the D80

It fits in my hand quite well and i like the many functions it has over the D80.

Although it made a dent in my pocket lol at around ?799 it's not exactly cheap

I aslo decided to get a 3 year cover plan, one of those ones were anything that happens to the camera it will be fixed etc.

So i bartered with the guy at jessops and got him down by ?10 for the camera to ?799 and a free 2gb memory card ultra fast one.All this on buy now pay later lol.

It's first real test will be the photoshoot i am doing on tuesday

Nice one, Im looking at getting a D40/50 in March for my birthday.

Jessops have apparently got the D40 for 269.99 (299.99 but ?30 cashback).

Im really tempted to just stick one on my credit card, but Im resisting so far ><

well the D200 costs ?800 and the D300 is ?1300 and TBH theres not much difference between the D300 and D200.

I am happy with the D200. I am not spending ?1300 on a camera body.

I am also getting a SB-800

naaa im good with my D200 :)

But yer i love the fact it has a built in syc cord port! w00t setting off flash via cable rather than stupid remote shoe thing

But dam compact flash aint exactly cheap but apparently it's ment to be also better than SD

naaa im good with my D200 :)

But yer i love the fact it has a built in syc cord port! w00t setting off flash via cable rather than stupid remote shoe thing

But dam compact flash aint exactly cheap but apparently it's ment to be also better than SD

I bought both of my 2GB Extreme IIs for $15 each. :s

Prices in the UK are teh sucky

2GB SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash = ?23ish

I think jessops ripped me off lol ?33 for 2GB Ultra II CompactFlash so i think theya re going back and im gonna go get them online

i bought an A-Data 16GB card (in my sig) from newegg and it was only 120$...great buy.

you won't be dissappointed with the D200, and trust me, unless you absolutely need them, you won't need the features of the d300...the increased resolution translates to maybe a 5% increase...2MP is not that big of a gain. The 4x resolution on the LCD is a nice feature, but also means more power drain...Live view is gay, you probably wouldn't use it that much, HDMI out is a joke too...nice to have, but you don't need it. and unless you're shooting sports, you don't need 8fps...all the extra features don't make up the huge price gap between the two. Get some books and learn to use the D200, Its been my primary shooter now for about 6 months (finally retired my original D1) and I've loved it...I've shot alot of bodies, D1, D40,D50, D70, D200, D2x, D2h) and the d200 is a very solid performer...especially with the MB-200 battery grip, which allows hot swaping of batteries as well as the vertical shutter release.

Obviously the D300 is better but i think most people favor the D200 simply because of the cost and what your money gets you compared to the D300.

D200 = 10.2 Mp D300=12 same size sensor, but photosites are going to be smaller on the d300, thus even tho you get more resolution, you're not able to capture as much detail since photosites are smaller...this is a minor thing though.

D200=5-6FPS, d300=8....only need that many if you're a sports shooter, i know i take maybe 1 frame every 20 seconds if that, so it doesn't bother me.

D200=235,000 pixel screen D300= 930,000 pixel 3.0" screen....this is a nice feature as your able to see your images more clearly on the screen, but once again, a minor cosmetic feature, not really needed, since i care more about histograms then what I see on the screen.

D200=no sensor cleaner D300= ultrasonic sensor cleaner....this is probably the nicest feature, but not worth the price...i have a sensor swab kit that i use to clean my d200, and i take precautions when changing lenses anyway to keep dust out.

D200= no live view, D300=live view...this feature is really only for people too ignorant to use the view finder, or that want to be able to compose shots on the screen...once again in my opinion a cosmetic difference, and not worth the price difference.

there are other minor upgrades as wel, such as HDMI out, and so on, but its not worth the sometimes 500-700$ price difference you'll pay, image quality in the end will be pretty much the exact same, and if i remember correctly, the d200 ISO minimum is 100, the d300 is 200, so you get slightly better iso settings in the d200.

I am pleased with my purchase. I decided to get it in a store as TBH it's far better to get camera warrenty issues sorted in store than online, plus i had the option of getting a cover plan for it as well.

One thing i find annoying with the D200 is the battery life. Looks like i need to get some spare batterys and a battery grip.