Hamster Horror: Boy Tortured Pet to Death

A 15-year-old boy has admitted causing unnecessary suffering to a hamster after freezing it, tumble-drying it and then putting it in a washing machine. :|

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty at Harrogate Youth Court.

Youth magistrates banned him from keeping animals for four years and passed a 12-month supervision order.

"What this boy did was horrendous," said RSPCA inspector Mike Pugh.

He explained that it took over half an hour for the hamster, named Poppy, to die.

After first being put in a freezer then heated in a revolving drum, it finally drowned in the washing machine.

Pugh said the animal "suffered severe pain and mental stress" and a post-mortem showed it had lesions on its feet and torn claws.

The vet concluded these were most likely caused by frostbite, trying to climb out of the freezer or hang on to the inside of the dryer drum. She died of severe respiratory or cardiovascular damage.

Poppy's owner called the RSPCA after finding the pet in the bin.

"The teenager was one of several who were guests at the owner's house," said Pugh. "The owner had been out for the evening and came home to find the evidence of what happened. There were droppings in the freezer and the tumble-dryer."

"Poppy was bought as a gift for the owner's daughter, who was obviously distraught.

"This was an act of senseless cruelty against a defenseless animal."

source

WTF! Seriously ur in someone else`s home and decide to butcher the family pet?! **** banning him from owning animals get him some help, hes clearly mentally ill.

This person needs to be declared mentally ill and put in an institution for quite a number of years...I can't see why someone would do that to any animal, much less a family pet.

he should have a permanent ban and be supervised til he is 21. young teens who torture small animals is usually an early indication of a serial murderer.

I think what's more disturbing is all of your responses. It is a hamster. A hamster! A hamster!! Are you guys joking with all your cries of punishment and future serial killer. Where is the study that corrolates this kind of activity to being a serial killer later in life? And how would such a study be done may I ask? Some people simply do not develop the same kind of sympathy and feeling for the suffering of completely different species. Are we to assume he would do the same thing to a human baby? Or even other animals? A hamster has a different value of life than other animals and don't you deny it. If he tortures ants with a magnifying glass, there would be no forum thread or news story about it now would there? It's so sad to see this pussification and weakening of humanity happen on a daily basis. Close this thread already before another baby drowns in the bath while its mother is busy crying over a hamster on an internet forum.

Guys, he's just a cute lil dude who obviously made a mistake. Obviously he's not going to do it again.

Obviously that is sarcasm. Drop him off at Antarctica, throw him in a tornado, then boot him into the ocean.

When people say only a hamster or "pet"... I see a defenseless animal, no chance to fight off its attacker... it's not only cruel because of the actions done, but to which it was done, a defenseless animal

Hamster, mere animal or not -- no living being deserves to be tortured to death. :no:

its really sad...

its not bad enough almost dying from freezing cold, he got tossed around in a dryer, then drowned in a washing machine...

reading stories like this, and the guy that skinned the womans dog.... :no: :cry:

I think what's more disturbing is all of your responses. It is a hamster. A hamster! A hamster!! Are you guys joking with all your cries of punishment and future serial killer. Where is the study that corrolates this kind of activity to being a serial killer later in life? And how would such a study be done may I ask? Some people simply do not develop the same kind of sympathy and feeling for the suffering of completely different species. Are we to assume he would do the same thing to a human baby? Or even other animals? A hamster has a different value of life than other animals and don't you deny it. If he tortures ants with a magnifying glass, there would be no forum thread or news story about it now would there? It's so sad to see this pussification and weakening of humanity happen on a daily basis. Close this thread already before another baby drowns in the bath while its mother is busy crying over a hamster on an internet forum.

Hamster has just as much right to live as any other living being.

Hamster or not it can feel pain. Don't give me that people are different bs, people are animals just as well. If you spend any time at all with animals you figure out they're living, thinking, feeling things, just on a different level from us. But then according to you if an alien race came along, picked you up and tortured you it would be fine, you're just a human, much less civilized and inferior in all respects.

It's common knowledge, people who torture animals at a young age often end up becoming criminals and killers later in life. It's not hard to figure out, you take a present day killer and study his history. Go enlighten yourself, don't be a dumbass.