Business Week: Blu-ray Is Winning

Seems like a turnaround from the "Warner announcement" that was previously touted...

Business Week: Blu-ray Is Winning

The publication says it could get Warner endorsement.

By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (December 7, 2007) -- Blu-ray has emerged as the clear front runner in the high-def DVD format war against HD DVD.

That's according to an analysis published today by Business Week magazine.

The publication, which has considerable influence in the financial world, writes that Blu-ray still holds the greatest support among Hollywood studios. Four major studios now back Blu-ray exclusively while only two support HD DVD exclusively.

Consequently, Business Week says, the Sony-backed Blu-ray disc has outsold HD DVD by roughly 2-1 for the past year.

Additionally, the publication reports that Sony may be close to landing an exclusive endorsement from Warner Bros., which until now has released films in both formats."The rumor is that Warner is coming aboard soon," Michael Burns, vice-chairman of Blu-ray supporter Lionsgate, tells Business Week. "That will make it awfully tough for HD DVD to stay in this game."

Business Week added that "either side could (win the Warner endorsement)...but the Sony group has suddenly emerged as the front runner."

"Persuading it (Warner) to sign an exclusive deal would give the Sony crowd about 70% of DVD market share. That could prompt the other studios to abandon HD DVD," the publication writes.

Business Week notes that if Warner were to join HD DVD, the format war would be stalemated.

"That could create mass consumer confusion and potentially strangle a new technology that the studios hope will give a lift to flagging DVD sales. That's exactly why Warner has long pushed for a single format," it said.

Source

The final nail in the HDDVD coffin.

you think microsoft is going to back off because of this? hd-dvd players will sell like hotcakes this christmas seing as you can get one for $100 and a good one for only $200

it's not even close to over. sadly :(

You know, the only reason i want Blu-ray to win is because of the name ... Silly i know - But imagine how annoying it would be to say "HDDVD" constantly? Blu-ray rolls off the tongue.

So silly :laugh:

You know, the only reason i want Blu-ray to win is because of the name ... Silly i know - But imagine how annoying it would be to say "HDDVD" constantly? Blu-ray rolls off the tongue.

You aren't the only one. I'm just sick of hearing "DVD."

This doesn't make any sense, practically every proprietary format Sony has released has failed. It's tradition! :/

Really skeptical of any articles claiming either format is dead. Seen too many of these for both sides and guess what... both are still alive and kicking. I think we'll have to wait until after the Christmas season to truly assess what's going on.

that article is a joke.... God, paid shills in action. It's not enough that BDA has been ridiculed enough about this "Blu-Ray won crap" , but this guy should consult Sony's own CEO for the details. Seems that Stringer thinks it's not so clear.

Business Week notes that if Warner were to join HD DVD, the format war would be stalemated.

LOL.. This guy from Lionsgate is a joke and it already is a stalemate not that I read anything from this guy seriously as we've already seen his smart moves and logic as Lionsgate is at the brink of bankruptcy.. If Warner goes HD DVD you can say la-la to Blu-Ray within few months, not because it can't sustain itself on Sony and Fox only but because everyone else will drop it because it's the hardware game not software game at this point but with Warner HD DVD would not only have hardware advantage in dedicated players but actually software advantage too.

Warner is almost 30% of HD titles on the market. It would be Universal, Warner, Paramount, Dreamworks that account for about 70% of catalog titles. There's no stalemate there. If Warner goes, Disney is right after them you can bet on that.

Edited by Boz

I always have problem saying HDDVD lol :laugh: :laugh:

that article is a joke.... God, paid shills in action. It's not enough that BDA has been ridiculed enough about this "Blu-Ray won crap" , but this guy should consult Sony's own CEO for the details. Seems that Stringer thinks it's not so clear.

LOL.. This guy from Lionsgate is a joke and it already is a stalemate not that I read anything from this guy seriously as we've already seen his smart moves and logic as Lionsgate is at the brink of bankruptcy.. If Warner goes HD DVD you can say la-la to Blu-Ray within few months, not because it can't sustain itself on Sony and Fox only but because everyone else will drop it because it's the hardware game not software game at this point but with Warner HD DVD would not only have hardware advantage in dedicated players but actually software advantage too.

Warner is almost 30% of HD titles on the market. It would be Universal, Warner, Paramount, Dreamworks that account for about 70% of catalog titles. There's no stalemate there. If Warner goes, Disney is right after them you can bet on that.

I think Warner going Blu-Ray will end the stupid war. Warner going HD DVD will prolong it more.

It would certainly be nice for something such as this to end the "format war".

Hopefully its that simple.

In the end I just want someone to win. By Christmas would be ideal.

Because as it stands right now, Im putting money into into a format that may or may not win. And for my format to go under after purchasing a fair amount of movies, that would really be unfortunate.

I always have problem saying HDDVD lol :laugh: :laugh:

I think Warner going Blu-Ray will end the stupid war. Warner going HD DVD will prolong it more.

I'm not sure how you see that?

Okay, so let's say this.. Warner goes HD DVD.. now HD DVD has actually much larger title catalog with (Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks, Warner and New Line are combined). Sony, Disney and Fox are left on Blu-Ray (I'm not counting Lionsgate and other small studios as their title participation is small and quite irrelevant MGM is like less then 3% of marketshare). So now not only that HD DVD has more studio support, but they actually have more catalog titles.

What's your logical conclusion to state that HD DVD is the one prolonging the war? Isn't Blu-Ray the one who's prolonging it then? With less studio support and less titles how do you see that. I'd really like to hear your explanation since vocal Blu-Ray supporters have said that SOFTWARE is what counts and not dedicated hardware...

Thanks.

This doesn't make any sense, practically every proprietary format Sony has released has failed. It's tradition! :/

No.

Okay, so let's say this.. Warner goes HD DVD.. now HD DVD has actually much larger title catalog with (Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks, Warner and New Line are combined). Sony, Disney and Fox are left on Blu-Ray (I'm not counting Lionsgate and other small studios as their title participation is small and quite irrelevant MGM is like less then 3% of marketshare). So now not only that HD DVD has more studio support, but they actually have more catalog titles.

What's your logical conclusion to state that HD DVD is the one prolonging the war? Isn't Blu-Ray the one who's prolonging it then? With less studio support and less titles how do you see that. I'd really like to hear your explanation since vocal Blu-Ray supporters have said that SOFTWARE is what counts and not dedicated hardware...

Thanks.

Can someone tell me where this rumour of Warner going to HDDVD came from.. or why we are discussing Warner going to HDDVD in this topic?

The article states it's Blu Ray that are potentially about to sign up with Warner who are currently releasing on both formats.

Additionally, the publication reports that Sony may be close to landing an exclusive endorsement from Warner Bros., which until now has released films in both formats."The rumor is that Warner is coming aboard soon," Michael Burns, vice-chairman of Blu-ray supporter Lionsgate, tells Business Week. "That will make it awfully tough for HD DVD to stay in this game."

:blink:

Can someone tell me where this rumour of Warner going to HDDVD came from.. or why we are discussing Warner going to HDDVD in this topic?

The article states it's Blu Ray that are potentially about to sign up with Warner who are currently releasing on both formats.

He's talking if Blu-Ray didn't have Warner... I think. Anyways, he's just trying to scare us.

Truth is, consumers are at Blu-Ray. Warner will choose what's best.

1337 posts!!!

You need to read whole article.....

Business Week added that "either side could (win the Warner endorsement)...but the Sony group has suddenly emerged as the front runner."

Thanks.

Come down from that fantasy cloud.