CompUSA going out of business

I saw it coming too. They just tried to have too much of everything in a small location. The one local to me is literally 100 yards from a Best Buy, with a Circuit City just up the road as well.

Not to mention the fact that their prices are a touch high and the staff knows nothing about the products they sell unless you're looking for a cell phone or an entry level digital camera.

I remember when the one by me used to stock actual computer parts - motherboards, CPUs, PSUs, etc. They still do, but you have a selection of about 2 of each different item. They tried to go the big box way (systems primarily) and failed miserably. If they could have fixed their pricing on components to be a little more competitive, I think they could have survived as a niche marketer. There's loads of small computer shops around town here that do very well. Hell, there's one that I frequent right across the parking lot from the Best Buy I mentioned earlier, and they've been there for going on 20+ years.

That actually kinda sucks. I mean I didn't really prefer CompUSA but it was nice to have the option as I really cannot stand Best Buy (at least not the ones around me).

<snipped>

I'm kinda sad to hear this since the CompUSA store in my area (closed a while ago) sold more of what I needed compared to Best Buy.

wctaiwan

Edited by Barney

Well, this sucks. I bought all my Macs at CompUSA. I've bought over 40 Macs and two Xserves from them. I really hope Apple sets up an Apple store and repair center, quick.

I wonder what is going to happen to all the people who bought extended warranties from CompUSA.

So I just bought something on account at compusa I wonder what will happen to that...........I also wonder what will happen to insurance plan I got with it.

Generally speaking, the insurance plan should be underwritten by an insurance company and they will take responsibility for it. I know with Best Buy, the plan is usually underwritten by AIG.

man this is horrible. Our CompUSA in Atlanta closed down a year ago and they told us "they are shutting alot of stores down".

What I loved about CompUSA was they sold alot of small parts, overclocking, cases, fans, lights, etc... Best Buy doesn't carry those items. CompUSA also had my Icemat Siberia headsets.. Best buy only carries Logitech crap.

man this is horrible. Our CompUSA in Atlanta closed down a year ago and they told us "they are shutting alot of stores down".

What I loved about CompUSA was they sold alot of small parts, overclocking, cases, fans, lights, etc... Best Buy doesn't carry those items. CompUSA also had my Icemat Siberia headsets.. Best buy only carries Logitech crap.

Best Buy carries fans and cases and such, though they are only given one side of one aisle.

Best Buy carries fans and cases and such, though they are only given one side of one aisle.

Not to mention it's only a very limited assortment....

The nearest CompUSA to me closed earlier this year, so really not much of a loss for me.

compusa was good to find some cheap crap.. and sometimes they work quite well.. I bought my first dvd-writer from them.. It was a no-name brand and costed me $150 ( it can only writes dvd+-r and still works after 4 years).. at that time brand name dvd burners used to cost around $200-$250..

CompUSA is the only big computer store here in Puerto Rico and now they are going to close??? :(

I think they are going to open a Best Buy here but not sure when.

Circuit City's opening in January in San Patricio Plaza.

CompUSA is the only big computer store here in Puerto Rico and now they are going to close??? :(

I think they are going to open a Best Buy here but not sure when.

Its a Circuit City.

CompUSA was like Radioshack.

Same products from everywhere, with insanely high prices.

I remember buying a dim 5 to dim 6 plug way back. CompUSA sold it for $40 and the local computer store sold it for $1.50.....Anyway, I'm happy compusa is finally closing.

the equiv. up here in Toronto went out of business last year. Laptops at 60% off

Which was the equivalent? If you are talking about Computer City, they went out of business a loooong time ago in 1998. I bought a Labtec microphone from Computer City before they closed.

The explosive growth of online stores (Newegg, ZipZoomFly for example) really hurt places like CompUSA. I do feel for those who will be losing their jobs after Christmas or not to long afterwards. I don't feel bad about seeing CompUSA going bye-bye though. Big-ass nationwide stores like this are killing the "mom-and-pop" computer stores all over the US. It's nice for once to see it happening the opposite direction. I have seen a dozen+ small stores here die off for various reasons. The CompUSA that used to be here didn't last long, the idiots in corp canned a whole pile of the stores along the Gulf Coast that year. Now Best Buy is here and they have directly contributed to killing at least a few stores off. Office Depot, Office Max, Circuit City are no real threat to the local stores around here.

I tried to do some Corporate Sales for CompUSA a few years back - and all I can say is "HA HA HA" - I couldnt stand management there - and the HQ is here in Dallas - when management cares more about being 3 minutes late and less about sales numbers and customer service - its pretty pathetic - while training I asked several questions - like "why is the system like this - it seams so useless", "or why in the world is it done that way - thats counter-productive" - and the reply was "well ...uhh...thats the way its always been done..." right then I knew that management was a complete joke - staffed w/ people to meet certain demographic quotas - not staffing people who are best for the job - I quit and the store was shut down 6 months later - I hope my then-supervisor is dying a miserable painful death.

He actually said to me "Chris , Ive never in my life seen someone with as much potential as you -- thats not a complement - its your curse --you'll never live up to"

what an ass

All I have to say: THANK GOD my Best Buy sells Macs. It's local and it'll be here for years to ######.

I can care less for Macs, but Best Buy is a great place for anyone, though some things are a little over priced. CompUSA was way overpriced, maybe because a 3rd world mind wanted just the money and not the good reputation.

It's sad to know that many persons will be without a job soon because of this. CompUSA had insanely high prices here in Puerto Rico and almost never had many items advertised in their website. I had to fight my way many times with incompetent employees management included, in order to obtain a replacement for the item I was looking for. Calling one of the stores was like trying to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a bathtub. Once I called the Carolina store to check if CPU was phisically available on the store and I tried for about an hour to contact a real person while I was on route from Bayamon to almost Canovanas which is were the store is located (those in Puerto Rico know it's not an easy drive at 5:00 pm on a Monday) and they either hung up on me or left the phone on the counter and never answered it and when I gave the complaint to the store manager he just said he was sorry. I'm happy they are closing and hope they give good closing deals.

Bio

Its a Circuit City.

a Circuit City where??? I think they are a Best Buy where it was Plaza Acuatica, I heard something like that.

Ha yes! That reminds me of a funny line from Seinfeld some years back...

Jerry: Why would a high-school want to screw with my head?

Kramer: I don't know; why does Radio Shack want your phone number when you buy batteries from them?

But you're right; it's no wonder they're going out of business. Plus, I think many people thought the name of the store was pronounced 'compoosa'. And that just sounds weird.

Ha yes! That reminds me of a funny line from Seinfeld some years back...

Jerry: Why would a high-school want to screw with my head?

Kramer: I don't know; why does Radio Shack want your phone number when you buy batteries from them?

But you're right; it's no wonder they're going out of business. Plus, I think many people thought the name of the store was pronounced 'compoosa'. And that just sounds weird.

Thats actually how many people over here in Puerto Rico pronounce it (because if you read it in Spanish, thats how it sounds like).

Thats actually how many people over here in Puerto Rico pronounce it (because if you read it in Spanish, thats how it sounds like).

That's interesting, since that is how I always pronounced it. It was quicker and easier to say than Comp U.S.A.

Thanks for the extra info...!

Never been to a CompOOSA (lol) before, don't got any here in Canada. (CompCANADA?) lol

Is it like BestBuy or more like Radio Shack (smaller store)?