Vista Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade

Ok I bought a new PC and it came with Vista Home Premium. I have Vista Ultimate and it was installed on my old PC but I removed Vista from the old PC.

Can I upgrade Home Premium with the Utimate DVD and will it activate without problems?

ok I'm in the installation window in "Which type of installation you want?" but it says the upgrade has been disabled. The only option available is the clean install option. What I'm doing wrong?

Did you start the install process from within Windows or at boot? I think you need to start it from Windows...

at boot but I thought that maybe that was the problem, trying that from Windows now.

EDIT: Yeah now I get the upgrade option.

ok I'm in the installation window in "Which type of installation you want?" but it says the upgrade has been disabled. The only option available is the clean install option. What I'm doing wrong?

Have you booted off the Windows Vista DVD? If so, an upgrade needs to be run from within Windows itself. Also, you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, you would need to perform a clean installation in that case.

EDIT: Looks like i'm too slow today. Bah. :p

The upgrade didn't work :/ I tried two times and when it finished it says that it could install some windows components or something like that and it restored the Home Premium version.

I though you have to use the "Vista Anytime Upgrade" to upgrade Vista Home Premium to ultimate?

No, you don't have to.

In MSCONFIG, choose diagnostic startup, reboot, then try upgrading again. Also note that if you have an OEM version of Ultimate, it wont activate.

No, you don't have to.

In MSCONFIG, choose diagnostic startup, reboot, then try upgrading again. Also note that if you have an OEM version of Ultimate, it wont activate.

Its retail version. I'm going to try that and Frank solution.

"Windows could not configure one or more system components, to install Windows restart the computer and then restart6 the installation." Yep that is the message I get

So you uncheck those and the upgrade work?? Yours was from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium??

I did what Microsoft told Frank and it worked fine but now Vista dont want to activate. It says that is in use. :angry:

Im not understanding the issue here. I upgraded my home prem to vista ultimate 2 weeks ago. Threw the gold disk in 32 bit and it started asked me if i wanted to upgrade. Did a system check then asked me for the cd key from the disk boom done no issues. so I am not understanding now why it wont activate.

It's not letting him upgrade because he used the Ultimate disk already on an older PC. That copy of windows is now activated for that specific PC. It notices the hardware differences, and its not letting him activate it. I am in this exact same position, I splugred and bought Ultimate for my older pc, and then about 4 weeks later, ended up building a new one. I was so mad when i realized I had to purchase another whole copy. I dont even use that old pc anymore so it was such a big waste of money. ughhhh

Wow the phone thing is bad, you cant understand what the machine is saying lol. At least the spanish one.

Im not understanding the issue here. I upgraded my home prem to vista ultimate 2 weeks ago. Threw the gold disk in 32 bit and it started asked me if i wanted to upgrade. Did a system check then asked me for the cd key from the disk boom done no issues. so I am not understanding now why it wont activate.

I have no idea, it should upgrade fine but it didn't. I did the same thing that Frank did and then I was able to upgrade. This is what I had to do.

They had me log into my current install of Windows Vista and then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features. The tech had me click on the "Turn Windows Features on or Off" on the left hand side of Programs and Features. In this window she had me expand Microsoft .NET Framework and uncheck XPS Viewer. She also had me uncheck Remote Differential Compression and Windows DFS Replication Service.

Then I had to call Microsoft to activate my copy because it didn't want to activate online. I spent all day trying to upgrade this damn thing. :crazy:

wow what idiot came up with that. you install on an older pc and then try to put it on anew pc and it wont let you. thats unbelievable. and they wonder why people pirate. So what happens if say the old pc blows up and you get a new one?

wow what idiot came up with that. you install on an older pc and then try to put it on anew pc and it wont let you. thats unbelievable. and they wonder why people pirate. So what happens if say the old pc blows up and you get a new one?

The same thing happened with Windows XP. If you activated it and then a week or so later you got a new PC and tried to activate it there it wouldn't work.

You don't need to buy another copy; you just have to call the activations line and as long as you have the retail copy (not OEM) they will give you a activation code when you tell them you got a new PC. I have never done this with Vista or on the Spanish line but it was very easy to do on the English line and Windows XP.