Which Movie Format do You want to Win the War (Blu Ray / HD DVD)

Which Movie Format do You want to Win?  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Choose which one You want to Win / Support

• Blu Ray
    • HD DVD
    • Neither
  2. 2. What Media players do you have or want?

• I have a Blu Ray Player (also includes PS3)
    • I want a Blu Ray Player
    • I have a HD DVD Player
    • I want a HD DVD Player
    • I have a Normal DVD Player
    • I want a Normal DVD Player

I have a problem with an industry who wants to sell you 1000 different formats of the same movie every year and won't let you use the one you have to play it on the go, or heaven for bid you scratch your disc a few years down the road and not be able to back it up?

Then they have the nerve to tell you its for your benefit.

Right, I will bend over and take another one sony it feels goodddddddd!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

First off, give me an example of what you mean by a "1000" different formats.

Second, there is no poll or anything to prove that people have not been able to watch their Blu-Ray movies on the go. Until then, neh.

Third, you shouldn't let your discs get scratched. Plain and simple. Plus, how many people "make backups" of their motion pictures? Idiotic.

What many people don't realize is that the average consumer has no idea what Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is. They are the ones who are buying this crap. When someone is going to tell them that Blu-Ray is better, they're going to believe it. It's kinda late for HD-DVD.

Fourth, please leave your childish antics out of this discussion. There is no need.

Edited by Cormier6083

Blu-ray. But I don't really care wich wins.

Edit: I just heard that for burning in PC or DTV we will have Blu-ray (25GB) and HD DVD (15GB) discs, there is not going to be different sizes that are affordable (same as with DVD 4.7GB and 8.4GB). So I think I'm leaning towards Blu-ray now, I need those extra 10GB for burning.

Edited by Joni_78

BD+ is cracked already.

So studios put it on Discs and your player won't play it without firmware updates weeks after you bought it?

Pretty sad, you see this as a "Good" thing. :rolleyes:

BD+ isn't completely cracked yet.

You can make copies of BD+ titles, but you can't rip the movie.

...which at least protects the content from pirates.

First off, give me an example of what you mean by a "1000" different formats.

Third, you shouldn't let your discs get scratched. Plain and simple. Plus, how many people "make backups" of their motion pictures? Idiotic.

I think it was quite obious that "1000" was an exageration.

Oh, I forgot. People plan on getting their discs scratched. :rolleyes:

i voted for "HD DVD" and "I have a Normal DVD Player" (which just happens to have the most votes currently to ;) )

the ONLY good thing i see about Blu Ray is storage space... other than that im for HD DVD all the way.

sony is shady with the rootkits and all, and is just a greedy arrogant company in general... i dont want them to win... they need to know what it feels like to lose as they seem to keep dominating the console market since there introduction in 1995 with the ps1 and the ps2 they dominated... but with ps3 it "might" be a different story as it seems XBox360 currently has a big lead ;)

and from most of the articles i been hearing lately... it seems like HD DVD is in overall better shape than Blu Ray is "so far".... but still, theres no clear winners yet.

but overall im still happy with current dvd cause hd-dvd/blu ray movies cost WAY to much. they should be priced the same as DVD's (maybe slightly higher) and not this 30 dollar crap.... sure you get a better quality movie but at the same time it aint like it's any harder for them to make a movie on hd-dvd or blu-ray vs standard dvd format.... even if the disc cost a little more to make that should not damn near double the cost of the movie cause of it.

me personally i think they milking the public for everything it's worth cause of piracy etc etc and they shafting the early adopters.

bottom line (for me) = ill be happy with current dvd for atleast a few more years easy as i mainly watch XviD movies anyways ;) .... bit's 3-6movies per DVD recordable that way to and i play em on my XBox on XBMC (XBox Media Center) ... plus i aint in a hurry to get HD stuff since i dont even have a HDTV myself yet.... i still have the standard 27" TV.

Edited by ThaCrip

I'm waiting it out at the moment. I was going the get the HD drive for the 360 but seeing the reports that Blu-Ray is outselling had made me wait.

The whole DRM issue does annoy me, especially when it causes issues and stops you viewing content you have legally purchased, but it's not going to go away for a long time

BD+ is cracked already.

So studios put it on Discs and your player won't play it without firmware updates weeks after you bought it?

Pretty sad, you see this as a "Good" thing. :rolleyes:

I can live with that, no problem to me, plus we wont experience that on the 1.1 players or the 1.0 but i wouldn't buy a 1.0.

So on that note, Go Blu-ray DISC and BD+!

I think it was quite obious that "1000" was an exageration.

Oh, I forgot. People plan on getting their discs scratched. :rolleyes:

Jon I personally know why you would plan to have ur discs scratched, I would say your brothers, but anyone without 2 brothers who constantly scratch your movies shouldn't let their stuff get scratched, I know I don't and if I do I go buy another one!

Blu-Ray here, because I have a PS3 and most of the movies and studios are Blu so Blu for me.

If HD DVD wins its not a big deal because I will be able to watch my Blu-Ray movies on the PS3. I just want this stupid war to be over.

BluRay

It's a way better name, better format, better technology...

And it's Sony, and Sony is just the best in media standards!

Interesting how there are more BD players sold even on Neowin, despite the often heard voices. And interesting also how there are still people who want DVD players :x

Well okay so i was listening to the radio on wednesday, and my favourite rock station was having a guest on it and guess what! It was one of the hosts off of G4 Tech TV. I can't remember what show he was from but they discussed Blu-ray and HD DVD. He was asked a question about Microsoft and HD DVD and funding and this was what I remember as his response,

"Microsoft is funding HD DVD because they don't what Blu-ray taking over the market, but they don't want to over support/fund because they are coming out with their TV on the XBOX 360 along with Movie Downloads for the XBOX 360. See what their doing is trying to keep this format war going until their Media technologies come out so that they can sweep the field."

^ a bit summarized

Doesn't that make sense? It just seems to fit Microsoft to go behind our backs with some master plan to come out on top with in these Media wars in the by just throwing out their own technology in the end when people get so fed up with the whole war that they can just choose a new solution.

Fukin Microsoft < Anything!

Well okay so i was listening to the radio on wednesday, and my favourite rock station was having a guest on it and guess what! It was one of the hosts off of G4 Tech TV. I can't remember what show he was from but they discussed Blu-ray and HD DVD. He was asked a question about Microsoft and HD DVD and funding and this was what I remember as his response,

"Microsoft is funding HD DVD because they don't what Blu-ray taking over the market, but they don't want to over support/fund because they are coming out with their TV on the XBOX 360 along with Movie Downloads for the XBOX 360. See what their doing is trying to keep this format war going until their Media technologies come out so that they can sweep the field."

^ a bit summarized

Doesn't that make sense? It just seems to fit Microsoft to go behind our backs with some master plan to come out on top with in these Media wars in the by just throwing out their own technology in the end when people get so fed up with the whole war that they can just choose a new solution.

Fukin Microsoft < Anything!

That is a theory, but it's a little more than that. MS's HDi (or iHD, or whatever it is now) nets them money. They're also trying to push the VC-1 encode, which is essentially a form of WMV, of which they also get royalties (although, rumor has it that the patents for VC-1 actually paid more royalties to companies like Sony, Philips, etc., which would be the king of all ironies).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/14/mi...codec_analysis/

In fact, for all to read, here's the history of the whole thing:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/08/29/o...-vs-hd-dvd-war/

I want BD because it sounds better.

:rolleyes:

Blu-Ray here, because I have a PS3 and most of the movies and studios are Blu so Blu for me.

If HD DVD wins its not a big deal because I will be able to watch my Blu-Ray movies on the PS3. I just want this stupid war to be over.

both BD and HD have about the same amount of movies right? studios are mostly BD.

it basically comes down to which movies you like the most. for me, i like the movie selection on HD DVD far more than BD.

yeah i want the war to be over too... ::sigh::

Here, it seems that Neowin is favoring HD DVD and it's pretty much what public is saying too. HD DVD is being accepted quite nicely by mainstream HDTV consumers.

You might find it interesting since it's kind of connected to the poll:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html...rticle_ID=11716

More Neowin members might want a HD DVD player, but right now there are more who actually own a Blu-Ray player. The studios don't really care about what format people favor, they care about numbers of discs sold.

Besides with a sample size this small the statistics are pretty much useless and they don't represent the public since this is a tech-oriented forum.

Sony & Toshiba created this war and could not agree on one standard (they tried).

Due to the situation they caused, I'm not going to be a cheerleader for either of them.

Sony & Toshiba created this war and could not agree on one standard (they tried).

Due to the situation they caused, I'm not going to be a cheerleader for either of them.

So True (Y), same here