• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

It's time to enable UAC.

+devHead    2,065
UAC is only annoying when you're installing all your programs after a format.

Only when installing programs? Try doing some general housekeeping and arranging of folders in your Start Menu. Any shortcut or folder that's in the All Users folder will prompt UAC to ask you if you want to move it. The same goes for creating a new folder in the All Users group. I would like to have a little more order and organization to my Start Menu > Programs folder, but what a hassle it is with UAC installed. Additionally, with UAC, you get a prompt everytime I try to run WinRAR. Plus, I can't replace Windows Task Manager with the Task Explorer from Sysinternals with UAC installed.

I disable UAC, and I'm sorry, I don't think I'm not that bright. I'm pretty bright.

Brandon Live    232
i would soooooo PICK UAC over lame ass symantec av at my work comp....when it's on....system becomes complete halt...only 512mb of ram...the AV process took up nearly 80MB of ram+other lazy ass IT admin junk.

Exactly. And UAC provides infinitely greater security protection that those useless, intrusive apps.

Note: I'm not disparaging the use of good AV software. A good non-intrusive background virus-scanner like AVG is a necessity if you download pretty much anything from the internet. But privilege isolation like UAC, just like your firewall, serves a tremendously useful purpose in preventing 0-click attacks. Where your firewall blocks unauthorized clients on the internet from accessing ports on your PC, UAC blocks unauthorized software from accessing system-wide data and settings (or in the case of Protected Mode IE, it completely blocks access to all your data and settings).

Malisk    142
Only when installing programs? Try doing some general housekeeping and arranging of folders in your Start Menu. Any shortcut or folder that's in the All Users folder will prompt UAC to ask you if you want to move it. The same goes for creating a new folder in the All Users group. I would like to have a little more order and organization to my Start Menu > Programs folder, but what a hassle it is with UAC installed. Additionally, with UAC, you get a prompt everytime I try to run WinRAR. Plus, I can't replace Windows Task Manager with the Task Explorer from Sysinternals with UAC installed.

I disable UAC, and I'm sorry, I don't think I'm not that bright. I'm pretty bright.

Start your favorite file manager as administrator and browse to your user profile with the start menu folders, and organize those to your heart's content after only having seen a single UAC prompt for the entire operation.

In some cases, Vista just makes you need to think a bit differently.

If one ask oneself "Do I need to do a lot of operations here as administrator?", then it's usually a good idea to look for ways to encapsulate all that work within a session where you have administrative privilegies granted. In all basic file-based operations I can think of, the above method on running a file manager as admin should work pretty well. And if it's about command line work, you'd want to run the command prompt itself as admin, and so on.

As for the Process Explorer, please use version 11.02 or later where this should be resolved.

As for RAR, I don't quite recall that problem, although I admit to it being a while since I used it on Vista. I nowadays run 7-zip, because I never ended up paying for WinRAR anyway. ;) And that one definitely doesn't ask for privilegies anyway, as an archiver supporting Vista should never do besides with good reason (e.g. extracting to a system owned folder). It sounds like a compatibility problem if RAR do this. Are you running the latest version of WinRAR (3.71)? Have you tried installing it to a user owned folder, i.e. not a system owned one?

Edited by Jugalator

ViperAFK    797

I use winRAR with UAC enabled and have never had that problem... I;d reinstall it or something.

Mordkanin    225
I use winRAR with UAC enabled and have never had that problem... I;d reinstall it or something.

Indeed.

I've never had a single issue with WinRAR. In fact, if you drag and drop things out of WinRAR into a folder you don't have access to, because it uses explorer for the file transfer, it's good enough to prompt for elevation only when you need it.

Brandon Live    232

Running WinRAR elevated is just stupid.

That's exactly the kind of application that should never be run elevated, and since it frequently operates over untrusted data (downloaded zip/rar files) it's more likely to be attacked. If there's a vulnerability in WinRAR that gets exploited, UAC will help protected you. But not if you turn it off / run the app elevated.

Impact    0

I've never had a single uac dialog pop up when I've been using Winrar... There must be something messed up on your winrar installation, DevHead.

ozgeek    165

I have UAC disabled on a fully installed and practually unprotected system. Know how long I've been running this install of Vista?...

February 07.

Yes that's right 10 months without a format and reinstall. I did had UAC on when I first used Vista but it started to get irritional after a while so I've disabled it. I've reenabled it during Winter but had to disable it because it was nagging me when I start some games. Yes you idoit, Vista, I want to start Halo (why else would I double-click the Halo icon?).

So ever since it has been disabled and never had been nagged. I do use occasional security checking but all those turns up nothing more than harmless cookies.

DreadBoat89    0
I have UAC disabled on a fully installed and practually unprotected system. Know how long I've been running this install of Vista?...

February 07.

Yes that's right 10 months without a format and reinstall. I did had UAC on when I first used Vista but it started to get irritional after a while so I've disabled it. I've reenabled it during Winter but had to disable it because it was nagging me when I start some games. Yes you idoit, Vista, I want to start Halo (why else would I double-click the Halo icon?).

So ever since it has been disabled and never had been nagged. I do use occasional security checking but all those turns up nothing more than harmless cookies.

maybe it will ask you that because halo requires admin rights...

Mordkanin    225

February 07.

It's like driving without using a seatbelt. It's not something to brag about.

abecedarian paradoxious    326
It's like driving without using a seatbelt. It's not something to brag about.

+1

Saying such a thing (UAC is bad, disable it, I don't wear a seatbelt/helmet/condom) to someone who doesn't know any better is nothing more than a statement of 'machisimo'- trying to look all badass and stuff because you take chances and get away with it.

Truth is, many... MANY... people look to others online, in fora such as this, for advice about their systems and this 'you don't need UAC...' type of rhetoric leads those people down the wrong road. I mean that 'noobs' think "Why would the experts disable UAC if it was bad? So why shouldn't I do it?"

That exact question is why there are so many people on this site, and others, that jump in faster than stink settles on **** in order to debunk and disprove that train of thought and try to instill a bit of rationality within a train that is ready to jump Microsoft's tracks just as quick.

If you're going to disable UAC, or advocate disabling anything in the system for that matter, at least have the cajones to admit that anyone else doing so is taking chances... unnecessary chances at that... for a system that works more to your liking as opposed to a system that works. Tell people the risks of doing it. Be responsible, not ignorant.

I sometimes wonder if people advocating turning off UAC and other related Windows services aren't the very same people who are perpetuating spam, hacks, virii and botnets and say such things out of realization that not doing otherwise will slit their own throat.

Edited by Regression_88

Raa    1,589

No. It's not going on. End of story, no arguements.

Bring on SP1 already (Final) :)

FATILA    4
No one cares...just fyi makes you sound...pompous.

Umm that was heavy sarcasm.

Brandon Live    232
Yes you idoit, Vista, I want to start Halo (why else would I double-click the Halo icon?).

It's not asking you if you want to start Halo. It's warning you that Halo is requesting complete access to your machine (which it most certainly doesn't need).

Unfortunately, some legacy applications / games assume that they have admin rights, so Vista includes compatibility shims that make them run elevated so that they can operate. New games/applications shouldn't need to do that unless they're doing something that affects the system or other users (like updating the application).

ozgeek    165

Well, I am not bragging that I have UAC disabled. Just telling that Vista gave us an option to disable it for a reason. Annoyance is one, programs that don't support UAC that would bring down the whole computer is another. (I can tell that NFS High Stakes will crash because it does not support ALT-TAB'ing between programs, including UAC).

xDayan    3

I normally disabled aright after install to reinstall all my programs then enable again ;)

(woot my 300th post)

Mordkanin    225
I normally disabled aright after install to reinstall all my programs then enable again ;)

(woot my 300th post)

A better idea would be to simply launch everything from an elevated command prompt, if you're that concerned about the prompts after a reinstall.

+warwagon    13,708

No reason to turn UAC off here. I actually like being prompted it makes me feel safe.

+Fahim S.    1,099

I run my computer as a limited user account, authenticating up to an administrative user as and when it becomes absolutely necessary. It means I don't get the allow or cancel prompt, but instead am asked to choose an appropriate user and enter a password.

I barely see a prompt... I have never understood what the big problem is with UAC!

I have found one bug working this way, which is annoying, but not a show stopper.

Unimatrix Xero    37

after turning UAC back on i cant say ive noticed it much , ok it sometimes pops up when i install a program, but apart from that its not as bad as i thought it would be