Questions about PS3

Howdy all,

I am seriously considering grabbing a PS3 sooner rather then later (original plan was to wait for the PSthree) mostly thanks to GT5. Now considering even the 40Gb model (the one I will get, if I decide to go through with getting one) is still a considerable investment, I need to know some things to help justify why I should buy one to join my 360, because if I can't justify to myself it was a good investment I will end up regretting it.

Firstly output, now while hooking it up to a LCD monitor doesn't seem that hard (just find a HDMI to DVI cable) how about sound? I don't have any fancy home theatre setup, I just use my Logitech X-530 speakers (that is what I use with my 360 and it works well, not the best sound but enough to make me happy) so how would I get the sound from the PS3 to them? can you hook up the AV Multi-out to the speakers and then using the HDMI output (using the HDMI to DVI cable) to hook the video to the monitor?

Now while I already own the HD-DVD drive for the 360, it doesn't hurt to have a Blu-Ray player as well (means I'm set regaurdless of who wins), I've heard it is pretty good and upgradeable...so basically once I got it, I shouldn't need to buy a new Blu-Ray player regaurdless how many times the spec gets updated?

Back to the 40Gb model, while it lacks a built in media card reader, I could still (if I wanted to) plug in a external one in one of the USB ports if I needed to?

Backwards compatiblity is not an issue, I still have my PStwo and it's not going anywhere so the lack of that is fine.

Sorry for been all over the place, kinda just typing what pops in my head, I'll add more if I think of anything else. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I've thought of some more things, whatever happened to the whole running Linux on the PS3? anything come of that or did it fizzle out? also how are it's Multimedia capabilities like? better\same\worse then the 360?

EDIT2: After much debate (with myself :p) I've decided to go for it :) I had (still have) a PS2 and Xbox last generation and they complimented each other very nicely and I feel it will be the same with the 360 and PS3 :) get the advantage of both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (so either way the war goes I'm covered) and since my favorite games span both platforms, it really is a win win situtation I think :)

EDIT3: I got it! and I'm quite impressed so far! it is so quite! I'll never look at my 360 the same way again :p the XMB is quite easy to use (although I still prefer the 360's dashboard) and yeah all is good! currently only running it on S-Video so it looks like crap at the moment, will work on getting the HDMI to DVI converter to fix that problem...I'm gonna be a very happy PS3/360 owner! :D

Edited by Xerxes

So you use the HDMI to DVI to transmit the video.

Then in the PS3 Menu (reffered to as XMB) you select an audio source.

By default its video/audio = hdmi/hdmi

however you would do video/audio = hdmi/composite.

so you would use the regular yellow white red cables that come from the box to transmit the sound. you cant get full surround sound, nor can you get quality as good as hdmi, but its pretty damn good.

and in theory yes the media card reader should work, since the ps3 pretty much takes whatever usb device in my testing.

So you use the HDMI to DVI to transmit the video.

Then in the PS3 Menu (reffered to as XMB) you select an audio source.

By default its video/audio = hdmi/hdmi

however you would do video/audio = hdmi/composite.

so you would use the regular yellow white red cables that come from the box to transmit the sound. you cant get full surround sound, nor can you get quality as good as hdmi, but its pretty damn good.

and in theory yes the media card reader should work, since the ps3 pretty much takes whatever usb device in my testing.

Cool, that was what I was hoping :) thx!

good to hear,

i hope your getting that cable from monoprice, =P, your setup should work fine, as long as the monitor is hdcp compliant.

You can install linux, and there's recent news that the gpu has been "unlocked" so to pave the way for some good homebrew apps/games. I even read somewhere that someone had OSX installed on it?!?! Doesn't sound legit to me.

Have you tried out any new themes? downloaded all the demos? =P

Firstly output, now while hooking it up to a LCD monitor doesn't seem that hard (just find a HDMI to DVI cable) how about sound? I don't have any fancy home theatre setup, I just use my Logitech X-530 speakers (that is what I use with my 360 and it works well, not the best sound but enough to make me happy) so how would I get the sound from the PS3 to them? can you hook up the AV Multi-out to the speakers and then using the HDMI output (using the HDMI to DVI cable) to hook the video to the monitor?

Yes, you can. You're at an advantage with the X-530 there. I've got them myself, but I don't use them anymore. They come with a game console adapter (well, they did when I got it, but it doesn't say that on the site), so you can plug the cables into the adapter and the old PS2 AV cable. You've got the choice of what to use or video and audio, so you're sorted there!

Now while I already own the HD-DVD drive for the 360, it doesn't hurt to have a Blu-Ray player as well (means I'm set regaurdless of who wins), I've heard it is pretty good and upgradeable...so basically once I got it, I shouldn't need to buy a new Blu-Ray player regaurdless how many times the spec gets updated?

Well, maybe. The PS3 is an early version of the Blu-Ray player. It will be upgraded over time. You can't really upgrade the PS3's drive through software updates. You'd have to get a new Blu-Ray player altogether, probably. Then again, Sony might not upgrade the PS3 drive at all. It seems to run games ok now. At the launch, people were complaining about the slow load times, so you never know. It could be improved.

Back to the 40Gb model, while it lacks a built in media card reader, I could still (if I wanted to) plug in a external one in one of the USB ports if I needed to?

I don't know myself, but you probably could. It will probably recognise it as a pen drive.

It's a bloody shame you're going for the 40GB model. If you haven't bought it yet, try and get a 60GB model through eBay or through the classifieds. Enjoy your purchase! I'll probably play you online soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread but does the PS3 controller work under Linux ?

I doubt it. You'll most likely have to get a keyboard and mouse first.

Well, maybe. The PS3 is an early version of the Blu-Ray player. It will be upgraded over time. You can't really upgrade the PS3's drive through software updates. You'd have to get a new Blu-Ray player altogether, probably. Then again, Sony might not upgrade the PS3 drive at all. It seems to run games ok now. At the launch, people were complaining about the slow load times, so you never know. It could be improved.

PS3 already has all the components of a full-spec blu-ray player (hard drive, internet connection, internal memory, etc.). With 1.1 discs on the way, the 1.1 spec is coming to PS3 via firmware (rumored tomorrow). BD-Live discs are also on the way, so they should work fine w/ the PS3.

The only thing that would be upgraded is if they wanted to make faster drives.

Also, according to Hitachi, all current Blu-ray players should play their 100 GB discs if/when those would ever go into production/use, just with a simple firmware update.

PS3 already has all the components of a full-spec blu-ray player (hard drive, internet connection, internal memory, etc.). With 1.1 discs on the way, the 1.1 spec is coming to PS3 via firmware (rumored tomorrow). BD-Live discs are also on the way, so they should work fine w/ the PS3.

The only thing that would be upgraded is if they wanted to make faster drives.

Also, according to Hitachi, all current Blu-ray players should play their 100 GB discs if/when those would ever go into production/use, just with a simple firmware update.

Confirmed tomorrow ;)

Yes, you can. You're at an advantage with the X-530 there. I've got them myself, but I don't use them anymore. They come with a game console adapter (well, they did when I got it, but it doesn't say that on the site), so you can plug the cables into the adapter and the old PS2 AV cable. You've got the choice of what to use or video and audio, so you're sorted there!

Yeah mine came with that adaptor, it's how I hook the 360 to them as well, works great :)

I kinda figured that, still while the BD drive is abit slow (maybe a bit slower then the 360, I wouldn't say it was that bad though) I don't seem to notice it much after a while (thx to the HDD caching).

It's a bloody shame you're going for the 40GB model. If you haven't bought it yet, try and get a 60GB model through eBay or through the classifieds. Enjoy your purchase! I'll probably play you online soon.

Yeah, but with the 60Gb discontinued it will probally take some time trying to find one at a reasonable price..not to mention I don't like buying things like that second hand (as you have know no idea of it's condition...while the same can be said about new equipment at least you have the warranty). Still I'm happy with the 40Gb model, no PS2 backwards compatibilty isn't an issue (got a PStwo), missing media card reader isn't an issue either as I don't really need it, lack of SACD I never use that, missing 2 USB ports not the end of the world and the 40Gb HDD is more then enough and at least I can upgrade it if I so desire. All in all I'm quite happy with it.

I haven't done much with it yet, downloaded the GT HD Concept to check it out (GT5-P shouldn't be too far away either) and got one game so far (Drake's Fortune). I have to say though, I got it setup to connect to my home network wirelessly and it actually downloads off the PSN faster then my 360 downloads off XBLM through the eithernet (but I guessing it probally change if I was downloading something more recent)

Thanks for all the info guys, much apreciated! :happy:

Great purchase! Trust me, its a underrated console in my opinion. People really don't give it credit where it deserves and enjoy bashing it for its downsides more than the ups. I really like the PSN, my only gripe is it's not that fast, well fast enough for me... :D

Download a few demos, I think I have 24. :yes: