72 processes :O!

I currently have 95 processes running and Vista is running smoothly.

It's not how many processes you have running, it's what programs you choose to use that could slow your system down.

21 on Vista right now (Miranda, Premiere,FF, Outlook,etc)

That is very unlikely. You need to click the "Show Processes from all users" button.

Home Premium 64 bit. You guys have alot of **** running.

You too.

I have 66 running on Vista Home Premium 64Bit. Everything runs fine though, no slowdowns or anything.

However that is with several applications open, on startup I have around 54 processes running.

Edited by Jimmy0

yeah if you have 72 you must have loads of rubbish running. i have 55 and that seems ok for vista.
I have 66 running on Vista Home Premium 64Bit. Everything runs fine though, no slowdowns or anything.

However that is with several applications open, on startup I have around 54 processes running.

55 does seem pretty standard for Vista, when i first formatted Vista you start with 55 ish, then i went down to ~35.

umm...... do you have ALL your services turned off?

If you aren't networking then you don't need the majority of the services.

55. It's pretty ridiculous how much junk Vista runs in the background compared to XP but yeah not much you can do about it. :/

Vista splits some things that used to be one process into seperate ones. This is usually done for security and reliability purposes, and you'll see more of it going forward.

It's not a bad thing. The overhead for a process is miniscule on today's machines.

40 on Vista Home Premium

As long as you have the RAM, services and other apps (ie. quicktime loader, adobe reader loader, etc) in the bg dont matter since they hardly use the CPU.