72 processes :O!

Main code architecture of Vista was also to break up several services into a single component which is light weight & run as and when required (even though it will be running at background from startup)...This is normal..and 1 GB RAM sys will be handling it very nicely...and my laptop is working fine @ 1GB ram with Vs.net 2005 , sql server, virtual pc of XP etc..

Vista splits some things that used to be one process into seperate ones. This is usually done for security and reliability purposes, and you'll see more of it going forward.

It's not a bad thing. The overhead for a process is miniscule on today's machines.

Brandon,

Can you give a specific example where this happened?

Before I reinstalled Vista I usually had 130~ process running. I now have 57. I cant see any difference between them performance wise. RAM Use age is the same also, And that doesn't bother me unlike some people. what's the point in having 2GB of RAM when your not gonna even use half of it?

Brandon,

Can you give a specific example where this happened?

A few examples:

* Sidebar runs multiple processes to isolate third-party gadgets / gadgets with different trust levels

* IE now has ieuser.exe for marshalling between Protected Mode and the regular user security context

* The indexer uses several seperate processes, as described here.

* Previewers for the shell mostly run out-of-proc in prevhost.exe (instead of in Explorer like in WDS 3.x on XP).

* Task Scheduler (multiple taskeng.exe processes)

Also, since services are isolated to Session 0 now, that means there are always at least two sessions running while you're using your computer, each with its own set of core services (csrss.exe, etc).

Other things that will add to the list include:

* Media Center and Tablet PC features

* 64-bit systems with additional WOW64 process, like splwow64.exe

* Defender

* Sidebar

* DWM.exe (user mode portion)

* New services (superfetch, DWM service, Windows Search, new networking services, new PNP and user-mode driver framework stuff, etc)

I have 62 right now...when i first got vista i tried to stop it but its no use there always going to be a lot of processes even with all start up programs disabled.

I managed to get Vista Ultimate down to 36.

I managed to get Vista Ultimate down to 36.

In my case, it's 68 processes; however, almost half are non-MS (third-party) software. (Vista Ultimate x86) ATI's Catalyst (7.11) has three processes, as does Logitech's QuickCam software; DriveHQ and WinZip have two processes each, and Yahoo Messenger (Vista-native) has but one. On the Microsoft side, the Sidebar and IE have two processes each, DWM (used by Aero) has a separate process, and the Task Scheduler and Task Manager are also separate processes.

While there are more processes, there's also a lot more *granularity* because more processes are separately spun out (as opposed to being in danger of becoming *catchall* processes).

On XP now, have 18 processes (can close about 4 processes for bare minimum). It's using just a bit over 200MB of RAM. I usually run 17-25 processes, very rarely more than that. I rarely go above 500MB of RAM use (except when I run VMWare).

On Vista, I have anywhere from 35-40 processes. At idle, it uses about 30-35% of my RAM and I've never hit 1GB of RAM + in use.

I have 1.5GB of RAM with XP/Vista dual boot.