$299 PS3 - Sony PlayStation 3: 20GB Console (ToysRus)

ToysRus have the 20GB PS3 in stock for $299!

Cheap alternative if you don't need the extras of the 40/60GB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Differences there.

Main difference is no wireless... I don't know if USB wireless adapters work though - Anyone know?

The 20GB DOES have PS2 backwards compatibility though, so if you don't need wireless, this seems like a good deal! You can upgrade the hard drive yourself later on!

Basically put, it's the 40GB except it has BC instead of wireless, and 20GB less.

Great deal though!

Source: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2549777

There is a slight difference in appearance as well

ps320GB.jpg

20GB

ps360GB.jpg

60/80GB

Edited by Audioboxer

Is the backward compatibility hardware or software based?

Also, how does it handle upconverting PS1/PS2 games to HD? I can never keep these things straight.

Holy crap!!! Awesome!! I was hoping they would bring back the 20GB model! The 40 GB/no BC model it just stupid. I may be getting a PS3 this year after all!

The model is still discontinued!

This will just be stock left over as the 20GB, let alone the PS3 itself, sold slowly up until the 20GB was discontinued.

That's why if you're interested in this, act fast ;)

Also, how does it handle upconverting PS1/PS2 games to HD? I can never keep these things straight.

It's hardware based - Check the Wikipedia link!

It upscales PS1/PS2 games to whatever resolution your PS3 is set at - (from what I've read anyway, I don't play PS1/PS2 games on my PS3)

The 20 GB model has the same BC hardware in it as the 60/80 GB models - basically a PS2's innards on top of the PS3 - so it works much nicer than the software models they started putting out. Up-converting, I believe, is still rubbish on any PS3 at this point.

EDIT: Audioboxer beat me to it! And, damn, that was moronic of them to discontinue their entry model.

I can now confirm it DOES upscale.

Before firmware 1.8 it didn't though...

PlayStation 3 Upscaling Comparison

We put a number of PSone and PS2 games to the test and see how well the system's resolution scaling abilities work.

US, June 1, 2007 - With the PlayStation 3's latest firmware update to version 1.8, Sony added in the long-awaited ability to upscale DVDs, PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to HD resolutions. Each of 720p, 1080i and 1080p are supported on all accounts, though for DVDs you need an HDMI connection for those resolutions for copyright purposes. So with the new ability to play classic titles in HD resolutions, has Sony given these games a new lease on life, or at least their visuals?

Source: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/793/793775p1.html

Check the article on IGN for screenshots ect...

Sorry to nitpick, but am I correct in assuming that that confirmation applies to this discounted $299 console as well? I know I'm being particular about it, but I'm really quite vexed by this "let's release 10,000 different models and let people try to sort them out" trend that seems to be in vogue with the latest run of consoles.

Sorry to nitpick, but am I correct in assuming that that confirmation applies to this discounted $299 console as well? I know I'm being particular about it, but I'm really quite vexed by this "let's release 10,000 different models and let people try to sort them out" trend that seems to be in vogue with the latest run of consoles.

The model was discontinued but gets the same support as every other model. Sony discontinued it as it didn't sell well, and Sony were trumpeting the horn back then of they'd rather have a PS3 that does everything (eg includes wireless, has nothing cut). Times changed now though eh? :p

The firmware for each PS3 model is the same. So if 1.8 enabled upscaling on your 40GB, you'll be happy to know it enabled upscaling on Bob's 60GB, Jane's 80GB and Eddie's 20GB.

;)

(Y)

The 20 GB model has the same BC hardware in it as the 60/80 GB models - basically a PS2's innards on top of the PS3 - so it works much nicer than the software models they started putting out. Up-converting, I believe, is still rubbish on any PS3 at this point.

EDIT: Audioboxer beat me to it! And, damn, that was moronic of them to discontinue their entry model.

First of all, the 20GB PS3 is fully backward compatible unlike the 80GB model which is around 80% backward compatible. 80GB achieves bc using hardware/sotfware hybrid technique. Where as the 40GB PS3 has no backward compatibility.

Secondly, PS3 is one of the best up-scaling DVD player out there. It passes all the HQV tests. If you want more information on DVD upscaling on the PS3 please refer to this AVSForums post. Also, the 20GB, 60GB and 80GB do a fairly good job of upscaling PS2 games to 1080p.

Please comment sensibly and accurately. Thx

PSN: netcivilian

First of all, the 20GB PS3 is fully backward compatible unlike the 80GB model which is around 80% backward compatible. 80GB achieves bc using hardware/sotfware hybrid technique. Where as the 40GB PS3 has no backward compatibility.

Secondly, PS3 is one of the best up-scaling DVD player out there. It passes all the HQV tests. If you want more information on DVD upscaling on the PS3 please refer to this AVSForums post. Also, the 20GB, 60GB and 80GB do a fairly good job of upscaling PS2 games to 1080p.

Please comment sensibly and accurately. Thx

PSN: netcivilian

Yup.

The 20GB/60GB (NTSC) are the only two models that do full hardware BC. The 60GB (PAL) and 80GB (NTSC) do a mixup of hardware/software and as we know the 40GB can't do BC, as it contains no hardware at all - It has the potential to do full software in the future though - But I wouldn't count on it.

The 20GB has the same BC hardware is in the original american/japanese 60gb models, which was the FULL compatibility. European 60gb and American 80gb have the not-so-complete BC. The 40GB (regardless of the region) has no bc whatsoever.

The downside is WiFi I guess...

Says "temporarily not available online" - methinks they have no more of them.

Otherwise it'd be a nice option.

Edit:

Also - what's up with the "reviews" on there? They all sound like Sony-planted drivel, or maybe it's just me.

Says "temporarily not available online" - methinks they have no more of them.

Otherwise it'd be a nice option.

Edit:

Also - what's up with the "reviews" on there? They all sound like Sony-planted drivel, or maybe it's just me.

Availability: In stock, usually leaves warehouse in 2 - 3 full bus. days.

:huh: