The Hobbit

NEW LINE AND MGM TO CO-PRODUCE AND SHARE WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTSPETER JACKSON AND FRAN WALSH TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE TWO FILMS BASED ON 'THE HOBBIT'

December 18, 2007: 11:00 AM EST

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. ; Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20011119/MGMLOGO)

-- MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, "The

Hobbit" and a sequel to "The Hobbit." New Line will distribute in

North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

-- Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two

films based on "The Hobbit." New Line will manage the production of

the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

-- Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the

"Lord of the Rings" (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

Source

Can I get a woot from the audience!

A sequel to the Hobbit has already been made, it's called Lord of the Rings. Sheesh.

Most excellent news!

That's what I was thinking. How are they going to make two movies from it? The Hobbit isn't exactly a very long book. Talk about milking it.

Sweet. If these are anything close to the LOTR trilogy then they will be amazing.

I have complete trust in Peter Jackson. The movies interested me enough to read the books. I enjoyed reading The Hobbit more than the LotR trilogy, so I'm super stoked about this :D

That's what I was thinking. How are they going to make two movies from it? The Hobbit isn't exactly a very long book. Talk about milking it.

O they will be. I beleive original rumors encompassed taking the Hobbit, and other tales in the Simarillion (sp?) to create another story that arks its way to LOTR.

So we should be getting back Ian McKellen as Gandalf (woot!), Christopher Lee as Saruman (double woot) and maybe Weaving, Bloom and Kate Blanchett :uberhump:

there have been rumors saying jackson may just bring this to tv as a miniseries so we see what happens I dont care which way he goes but a miniseries of the hobbit be cool.I think it was jackson who said that if he did hobbit he perfer it to be on tv as a miniseries beause he can tell alot more than just one movie or two at the movies.But so far look like it goig to the movies but wo knows it can change and be brought to tv as a miniseries or he coukl do part of it on the movie then continue it as a miniseries just the hobbit part not the lord of the rings part we already saw.A Lot of people are upset about one thing what are they going to do about the spiders because jackson goof that up in return of the king and I guess he made it too big or too small .

^ Just about as good as your spelling :p *jk*

@ Cubby

Read, the movies are happening, not a miniseries. The only thing holding up production is the writers strike, so we had best hope they get their act together or we don't' see any of these movies.

there have been rumors saying jackson may just bring this to tv as a miniseries

Cept they just annouced two films ;)

WOOOOOOOOOOOT! Been waiting for this day for so long :( Hopefully Mckellen and Lee don't drop dead on us. :(

*does a little dance*

^ Just about as good as your spelling :p *jk*

@ Cubby

Read, the movies are happening, not a miniseries. The only thing holding up production is the writers strike, so we had best hope they get their act together or we don't' see any of these movies.

sorry if you got upset I never said it was going to not to be a movie I said jackson wanted to do the hobbit in a miniseries because its a short story I dont remmeber where jackson said this I think in the dvds but he did say it. Also its possible he doing the hobbit on fim then he do the next part of it in a miniseries that ties up the gap between the hobbit to the lord of the rings trilogy.The writer strike had nothing to do keeping this up it was over rights jackson wasnt happy with new line and because of the writer strike guessing they have free time so they now getting the stuff underway for the hobbit. Also guys just becuase it been announce that the hobbit being made does not mean it wont have setbacks or put back up on the shelf we havea long way till 2009 when this is supposed to be release and also if jackson has trouble with new line or mgm he can back out and probably go through tv and do the way he intended to and that was a miniseries of the hobbit on tv.

Ahm, your post didn't make me upset, but your grammar is.

If you read the news bulletins straight from New Line, you would understand that yes, the films are held up because there is no script. With the writers strike going on right now there will not be a film made until that is done with, which they hope/project will be soon to coincide with the 2009 date to start shooting. If not, New Line has admitted that the schedule will be altered. Additionally, the hatchet has been cast aside with New Line and Jackson working together with this new venture; it wouldn't have happened if they were still at each others throats.

All this and more is in the press release.

Hopefully Mckellen and Lee don't drop dead on us. :(
I'm praying super hard right now :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Del Toro in Talks to Direct Hobbit Films

Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Blade 2 (which was made by New Line) and The Devil's Backbone.

Because of other commitments that included The Lovely Bones and Tintin, "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles, opting instead to become an executive producer with approval over creative elements of the pair of films.

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired to adapt Tolkien's children's classic, though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee the two films' writing.

Principal photography for the films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for 2009. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per film. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.

The Hobbit is centered on Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf who go on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug. Tolkien went on to write "The Lord of the Rings" 17 years later.

title changed